DIR statement : file attributes for Newbies

Post your FreeBASIC tips and tricks here. Please don’t post your code without including an explanation.
BasicCoder2

Re: DIR statement : file attributes for Newbies

Postby BasicCoder2 » Oct 16, 2017 21:28

Trinity wrote: My point is that people that are criticizing me here , besides having zero understanding for how much slack I have to try to pick up (and how bad my situation is) , also have zero understanding of how much I wish to learn more and how much I try to prepare to do so.

The comments were meant as helpful feedback. We all have our own way of learning something new and that you are excited enough about your discoveries to put them out there is a good thing but it will also mean you have the benefit of feedback from some the more advanced and knowledgeable programmers to guide you. If you become to sensitive to their feedback they will stop giving it. As a self learner I have received such feedback many times. I remember the first time was, "We call that spaghetti coding" :) Of course I remember that feedback but the person giving the feedback will not because for them it had no emotional impact. A recent feedback I received on this forum was not dimensioning a list properly in some beginner code.

Code: Select all

dim as integer myArray(34)

vs.

dim as integer myArray(0 to 34)

In the C language int myArray(34) would mean 0 to 33 but not so in FreeBASIC and I was unaware of that coming from C.
Unlike you I am a bit lazy and tend not to read manuals relying instead on the little I do know so you have that one over me. Remember your adventures into Locate resulted in my learning it also had a cursor state parameter I wasn't aware of? I also prefer tutorials that introduce each piece of the language in digestible stages. But that is my personal preference and as I wrote above we all have our own way of learning.

Also there is competition so if I offer a piece of code I expect and don't mind if someone else shows me how to do it differently and/or better in a responding post. You will see this throughout the forum.

As for learning binary arithmetic and logic I had no choice as that was the only way I could program my self constructed electronics computer kit that had toggle switches for input and programming along with binary LED lights as a display. All binary data!!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Oct 16, 2017 22:26

BasicCoder2 wrote:The comments were meant as helpful feedback. We all have our own way of learning something new and that you are excited enough about your discoveries to put them out there is a good thing but it will also mean you have the benefit of feedback from some the more advanced and knowledgeable programmers to guide you. If you become to sensitive to their feedback they will stop giving it.
When that kind of help comes to look like a mob of people doing nothing but criticizing then one thinks that one could do without that kind of help (there is nothing helpful in that people in flock attack you for what you have done and tries to "help" you by criticizing both what you have done and your lack of knowledge. Sometimes telling people at the wrong time how easy something is (to you) is the same as telling the other person how stupid they must be if it is not equally easy to the other person.
Anyway , I can not remember anything positive written about my initial post or me in this thread before you wrote "and that you are excited enough about your discoveries to put them out there is a good thing" , so maybe people are having a bit of a funny attitude sometimes when it comes to "helping". Putting people down is not the least bit helpful in my opinion.
I could choose to be very rude here , but I am trying not to be because it would not be helpful .
What I will do , however , is to refer to another discussion where someone else criticized people for being not exactly beginner friendly. And while that is *NOT* my general impression here then I think that *sometimes* people really *are* not beginner friendly and sometimes people gets so caught up in what ought to be and what ought not be to a degree that they forget that not all are expert programmers at the level that they are.
I really appreciate when I do get help (e.g. when people have some actual factual objective criticism , like code criticism and help) but I am not really appreciative of when it looks most to me like people are jerking off (trying to satisfy themselves) rather than understanding the situation before them. (in this case : DIR statement : file attributes for Newbies)
BasicCoder2 wrote:Unlike you I am a bit lazy and tend not to read manuals relying instead on the little I do know so you have that one over me.
Actually I am just as "lazy" as you if not more , but there are situations where alas that will not do (and I am in *more* of those situations) and trying to learn a new computer programming language is one of those situations where laziness will not get you far.
BasicCoder2 wrote:I also prefer tutorials that introduce each piece of the language in digestible stages.
So do i and that is sort of one of my major points in the discussions with other people in this thread - I *AM* a beginner with respect to FB and I have more than enough on my plate (to digest) as is.
BasicCoder2 wrote:As for learning binary arithmetic and logic I had no choice as that was the only way I could program my self constructed electronics computer kit that had toggle switches for input and programming along with binary LED lights as a display. All binary data!!
That is so cool :-)

I spent a good deal of my afternoon looking into the DIR and file attribute things using Google and funny enough I used some of my time taking a look at your "File Browser" and it's code : viewtopic.php?t=24141 , And once again I was in like awe over how skilled people like e.g. you and MrSwiss are at programming, and because I took a look at your code then that makes all the critique from the oh so very helpful helpers in this thread almost laughable because reading your code I so wished that it were I that were that skilled and that one day I will possess programming technique skills as good or better than yours , and I get that wish all the time when I look at code advanced as that.
That said , however , then I was also thinking how I could if not easy but then somehow make something if not similar but then something that were nice to me , even with the little skills I have compared to you and MrSwiss. All my doings shown in the initial post in this thread actually is only a result of my studying that particular branch of FB - files and disk i/O - because I need to deal with files and stuff like that to make programs , but as I have explained more times already then I have so much on my plate of which FB is only a part and not even the most important....
Kuron

Postby Kuron » Oct 16, 2017 23:10

@Trinity

I am going to repost something I posted on another forum recently.

One thing to keep in mind, there is no such thing as an expert when it comes to programming. There is always somebody who is going to know more than somebody else. The industry changes too rapidly for anybody to be an expert. So, never be intimidated. Most can remember what it was like being a beginner. Lots of helpful people here who will generally go out of their way to help somebody else.

I had a few years hiatus from programming, suffered a TBI in 2014 and I have dealt with memory issues since then. I consider myself a beginner in many ways, as I am having to relearn many things. Unfortunately, now it takes several times before something "sinks in".

I will add, the self-proclaimed experts tend to be the annoying folks who belittle and demean and flat out tell you you are doing wrong and should do it their way. Those are the folks that are best stuck on ignore. Not saying anybody in this thread falls into that category, and I have NOT read any post in this thread except your last one. I am sorry you feel that you were jumped on, but I am equally glad to see you have zero issue sticking up for yourself. I have seen many people over the years who give up on programming because of the treatment they receive from the self-proclaimed experts. Please do not ever let the thought enter your mind. :c)
BasicCoder2

Postby BasicCoder2 » Oct 16, 2017 23:22

Trinity wrote: ...reading your code I so wished that it were I that were that skilled and that one day I will possess programming technique skills as good or better than yours , and I get that wish all the time when I look at code advanced as that.

Sorry Trinity but my code is not advanced. There are some very advanced programmers on the forum with mathematical skills and programming skills I would love to possess but I am not one of them. I write simple code as my programming skills did not evolve very much over time, it is just a hobby to keep the brain ticking over and for some reason I still enjoy. Had I progressed I would be a top C++ programmer by now. We all have our limits and I know mine. You don't have to be great at art to enjoy painting and the same goes for other activities.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Oct 16, 2017 23:50

[off topic]
@BasicCoder2: I had a brief look at your file browser (thanks, Trinity, for mentioning). You haven't added mouse support yet, have you? If not, I have a nice little snippet here that could probably do that job.
[/off topic]
St_W

Postby St_W » Oct 16, 2017 23:53

Trinity wrote:When that kind of help comes to look like a mob of people doing nothing but criticizing then one thinks that one could do without that kind of help (there is nothing helpful in that people in flock attack you for what you have done and tries to "help" you by criticizing both what you have done and your lack of knowledge. Sometimes telling people at the wrong time how easy something is (to you) is the same as telling the other person how stupid they must be if it is not equally easy to the other person.
Anyway , I can not remember anything positive written about my initial post or me in this thread before you wrote "and that you are excited enough about your discoveries to put them out there is a good thing" , so maybe people are having a bit of a funny attitude sometimes when it comes to "helping". Putting people down is not the least bit helpful in my opinion.

Critique is sometimes necessary for improvement. The important thing is to not only say what is bad, but also how to make it better. And I try to do that whenever I criticise something.
I guess you're right when you say that I haven't written anything positive about your initial post yet. I can understand that you feel excited about your discovery in your situation, but I'm not, to be honest. I'm sorry for the little empathy. In general a forum with text-only communication is not that good for sharing emotions, so I concentrate on the facts and more or less skip the emotions. I do not intend to put anybody down. And I'm aware that hearing the facts only is not motivating.
Trinity wrote:[...] but I am not really appreciative of when it looks most to me like people are jerking off (trying to satisfy themselves) rather than understanding the situation before them. (in this case : DIR statement : file attributes for Newbies)
The thing is that your code isn't really suitable for beginners (other than you) for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts, making it a code example in need of improvement. I can understand that beginners want to share their findings, and this is totally fine, but please be aware that your finding may be not optimal and you often need a broader knowledge of the whole topic to see that.

Trinity wrote:I spent a good deal of my afternoon looking into the DIR and file attribute things using Google and funny enough I used some of my time taking a look at your "File Browser" and it's code : https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24141 [...] I took a look at your code then that makes all the critique from the oh so very helpful helpers in this thread almost laughable because reading your code I so wished that it were I that were that skilled and that one day I will possess programming technique skills as good or better than yours , and I get that wish all the time when I look at code advanced as that.
I'm sorry to tell you, but that code in the initial post is not a good example either. For example you shouldn't use hard-coded values instead of the constants and shouldn't check for equality of a bit mask.
St_W

Postby St_W » Oct 17, 2017 0:09

Kuron wrote:I will add, the self-proclaimed experts tend to be the annoying folks who belittle and demean and flat out tell you you are doing wrong and should do it their way.
While such "experts" exist for sure, there's also overly self-confident and reluctant-to-learn beginners who do not accept any critique, even if there are well-reasoned arguments for it, on the other side, both being unhelpful and annoying. Unfortunately it is hard - especially for a beginner - to rate the replies in an objective manner (this is also somewhat related to "fake news" - we often can't tell whether something is true or wrong for sure). One thing that may help is that typically multiple users are participating in a dicussion, agreeing or disagreeing on certain arguments.
BasicCoder2

Postby BasicCoder2 » Oct 17, 2017 0:22

grindstone wrote:[off topic]
@BasicCoder2: I had a brief look at your file browser (thanks, Trinity, for mentioning). You haven't added mouse support yet, have you? If not, I have a nice little snippet here that could probably do that job.
[/off topic]

Where is your snippet?
If these are the posts you are talking about you could append your snippet to them,
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24141&hilit=directory

I never got around to working anymore on the directory browser as none of my other little code experiments required it.
sancho3

Postby sancho3 » Oct 17, 2017 0:36

@Kuron
There are some people in this forum who are for sure above everyone else knowledge-wise. They truly are experts (imho).
It is wrong to tell someone (especially a beginner) to ignore them.

There was no demeaning or attacking and you definitely should have read the entire thread to get a more accurate feel of what is unfolding.
I feel mostly the situation is aggravated by the lack of inflection in text messages. ie. you can't really tell how a person is saying something.
I also feel that this is very minor drama and there is no blame to be placed. I predict this will resolve itself amicably.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Oct 17, 2017 4:14

@Trinity

St_W wrote:I can understand that beginners want to share their findings, and this is totally fine, but please be aware that your finding may be not optimal and you often need a broader knowledge of the whole topic to see that.

I agree. Today is 17th October and you joined 16th September. I am beginning to lose count on the number of threads started by you ending with " ... for Newbies". After only one month of starting using FB I feel that such posts are a little premature. To my mind you are trying to 'Run before you can walk.' I have noticed in this thread, and other threads that you have participated in, an acknowledgement that some issues are not well understood and you will address them but they are not needed right now. Well, some of them are needed right now and should be addressed before moving on. As St_W wrote "It is very important that newbies learn to do things the correct way from the beginning on. Relearning things should be avoided as it causes way more work than learning it correctly in the first place." So again, you are trying to 'Run before you can walk.'

Whilst reading I wanted to reach out to you and tell you to keep still. You reminded me of someone in quick sand wriggling away and sinking further in. Another phrase came to mind: "Dig a hole for yourself."
St_W wrote:In general a forum with text-only communication is not that good for sharing emotions, so I concentrate on the facts and more or less skip the emotions.

I agree with much of St_W's comments in general but I depart with him on that statement. It is text-only communication but we are communicating with human beings. The writer may skip the emotions but the reader may second guess what has been skipped and very often get it badly wrong resulting in 'getting one's back up' - and, boy, did you get your back up. <smile>

St_W has never got my back up but then being an INTP, Jungian typology, my nature is 92% thinking and 8% feeling. I may be wrong but I suspect that your feeling level is greater than mine. 100% thinkers are related to Mr Spock. <laugh>

Notice my use of <smile>. I use that a lot along with <laugh> and, occasionally, <grrr!>. They are called interjections used to express an isolated emotion or sentiment. It is my way of avoiding a text-only communication. They are usually placed at the beginning of a sentence but I tend to use them at the end being an awkward SOB. <grin>

I have noticed your placing, for example, the following in your code.

' Function CallInkey : Made by freebasic.net forum member "Trinity" who started using FB and Joined freebasic.net forum at Sep 16, 2017 18:07

I am not a psychologist but some folk may interpret that negatively.

From what I have seen you have the makings of a good programmer but, for goodness sake, don't blow it by 'flying off the handle' with the potential to alienate those who want to help. By all means question some comments, and you will whatever I say, <smile>, but don't come out with all guns blazing.

Please accept the following advice from an old fart who has 'rubbed up' more people than you have had hot dinners, probably.

CHILL OUT.

Further advice. Draft your responses in a text editor and read it a few times before posting. That way you will have the opportunity to remove stuff that you may regret having written. Perhaps you do, in which case it may be worthwhile to put it to one side for a while. I use, as I have done here, an application called 'EZ-Post' by a guy at the PowerBASIC forums. It has 'Code', 'Quote', 'Link' and such like built in. It may be worthwhile to rewrite it for FreeBASIC - I will have a word with the author.
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Oct 17, 2017 6:15

deltarho[1859] wrote:I am not a psychologist
Are you sure? <smile>

BasicCoder2 wrote:If these are the posts you are talking about you could append your snippet to them,
https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24141&hilit=directory
Done.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Oct 17, 2017 7:42

grindstone" wrote:Are you sure? <smile>

Yes. I am a burnt out mathematician. Many mathematicians become philosphers when they burn out. Unfortunately, I did not and am simply burnt out. <Ha, ha>
Kuron

Postby Kuron » Oct 17, 2017 10:23

there's also overly self-confident and reluctant-to-learn beginners who do not accept any critique, even if there are well-reasoned arguments for it,

It could be worse, aka the "Show Me Da Codes" type of beginners.

There are some people in this forum who are for sure above everyone else knowledge-wise. They truly are experts (imho).

José and Paul would be that for me. Either of them speak, I listen.

There was no demeaning or attacking and you definitely should have read the entire thread to get a more accurate feel of what is unfolding.

No need to, I was merely replying to Trinity's post and how Trinity was feeling.

I taught game programming for many years to kids in an after school program. I hate to see anybody who has an interest in programming feel they may not be good enough based on the comments of somebody else.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Oct 17, 2017 11:55

There is often a lot more to these situations than meets the eye.

In my late twenties I did a spot of selling and a well established salesman told me that sometimes folk will hit us with all sorts of reasons for not buying, none of which are true, and we struggle to counter each and every one of them. He told me that if I think that is what is happening I should look the prospect squarely in the eye and say "OK, now what is the real reason?". Very often the prospect, knowing that they have been 'tumbled', gives the real reason which may turn out to be a non-issue resulting in a sale.

After reading the above I imagined this is my mind's eye.

A young artist has just finished a painting. He stands back, full of joy, and thinks to himself "Is that a masterpiece, or what?" In comes an art critic who clearly thinks otherwise. The artist harbours resentment to such an extent that he thinks about looking for a blunt instrument but, wait, another art critic comes in and takes sides with the other art critic.

"The time has come", the walrus said, "to stop thinking about blunt instruments and consider what these two guys have to say.". Their demeanour should be ignored and full focus awarded to their words for, if they are taken on-board, the next attempt may well be a masterpiece and, if not, will probably be a step in the right direction.

Of course, the young artist may say that he did not think to himself "Is that a masterpiece, or what?". I would then ask why then did he think about looking for a blunt instrument. He may then say that he did not do that either.

I may be 'barking up the wrong tree' here but am relying on what Carl Jung wrote: "Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of other people." The likelihood of my thinking about looking for a blunt instrument was greatly increased if the criticism I was getting was about something which I figured was really neat.

The two art critics above may well have wondered why the artist was so belligerent without realising that they had stood on his interpretation of his work with, what seemed to him, to be size 12 boots. If the art critics are known for their considered opinions then the artist is at fault, in the same sense as the prospect who was giving every reason for not buying except the real reason. The artist is not really at fault, it is human nature but I would urge the artist to not make a habit of it.

Like I said, I may be barking up the wrong tree but only one person knows the truth.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Oct 17, 2017 12:17

Kuron wrote:One thing to keep in mind, there is no such thing as an expert when it comes to programming. There is always somebody who is going to know more than somebody else. The industry changes too rapidly for anybody to be an expert. So, never be intimidated. Most can remember what it was like being a beginner. Lots of helpful people here who will generally go out of their way to help somebody else.
Thank you very much for the kinds words of encouragement. And , Yes ! , there are a lot of kind and helpful people here , I just think that sometimes people forget why they do what they do themselves and thus also forgets that they may not be the only ones that got their own angle into things - I am glad to see that you are not so
Kuron wrote:I had a few years hiatus from programming, suffered a TBI in 2014 and I have dealt with memory issues since then. I consider myself a beginner in many ways, as I am having to relearn many things. Unfortunately, now it takes several times before something "sinks in".
I am very sorry to hear about your personal misfortune which touched me a lot. But while sad to learn about your misfortune I am also very glad to learn that you have not given up spending time programming. Just remember that you ought *never* measure your *personal success* by what others can do but by how good that you are at doing what you want to do. Also the "way forward" is to appreciate the abilities that one have while setting goals to go forward that are redeemable / solvable as to not get dissatisfied with one self. Even if we have to travel a million miles then we have to start with the first step and then travel mile by mile , and one doesn't get to travel even the first mile if giving up before it starts. So you are right , we must do our best to keep up the spirit :-)
Kuron wrote:I will add, the self-proclaimed experts tend to be the annoying folks who belittle and demean and flat out tell you you are doing wrong and should do it their way. Those are the folks that are best stuck on ignore. Not saying anybody in this thread falls into that category, and I have NOT read any post in this thread except your last one.
I think that what people did here were the "and flat out tell you you are doing wrong and should do it their way". It was kind of like if I had e.g. made this game and put it over at the store at Steampowered : http://store.steampowered.com/app/20151 ... struction/ and then the "User reviews" says : "Overwhelmingly Negative" , and that is sort of how I experienced people in this thread : "Overwhelmingly Negative" , and alas I spend far too much time even caring about it so I responded.
And people do tend to forget that other people can make programs too even if it is not up to specs in their opinion.
Kuron wrote:I am sorry you feel that you were jumped on, but I am equally glad to see you have zero issue sticking up for yourself. I have seen many people over the years who give up on programming because of the treatment they receive from the self-proclaimed experts. Please do not ever let the thought enter your mind. :c)
My best defense is actually to try to not care, "the sticking up for oneself" I think is mostly a waste of time, takes far too much time and generally speaking then you are not going to "win people over" because most people tends forget that they are not the other person and that the other person is an individual and not an object, so e.g. what's good for the gander may not be good for the goose, everyone must row with the oars that he has , and every bird sings with it's beaker , and all sorts of other sayings : what I mean to express is that we are all each one of us an individual and that we all has to make do with what we have and also, we, and not other people are the ones that lives our lives....
BasicCoder2 wrote:I write simple code as my programming skills did not evolve very much over time, it is just a hobby to keep the brain ticking over and for some reason I still enjoy. Had I progressed I would be a top C++ programmer by now.
<Snip>
You don't have to be great at art to enjoy painting and the same goes for other activities..
Personally I am glad to see that you like to code. Because even if some people are not appreciative of what you do then you seem to enjoy yourself a lot and have a good time which means more than anything else.
Personally I don't think that I will ever amount to much in the eyes of so called expert programmers but that doesn't bother me the slightest. Programming to me is an art form and I found out a long time ago that even if I am not particularly good at this or that then I am always adding my own artistic touch to stuff.
Let me give you an example : Within me is a dormant painter (artist) wanting to break out but it never really has. But years ago I did express myself on small scale through drawing and painting. What I painted were very poor measured by what a professional could do , however I possessed ideas and skills back then that I have not really seen outside my own dwelling. Now I have lost most of that skill due to......... but that really doesn't matter seen from a general perspective because I still have that "artistic touch" to use in my doings :-)
My point is , that as long as you got the urge to be creative using computer programming then do so and do never let the "ought to be" or "ought to do" of others stop you from having a very good time :-)
Thank you.
BasicCoder2 wrote:We all have our limits and I know mine.
to me that so makes me think of this one : They Said It Could Never Fly : http://blogs.bu.edu/bioaerial2012/2012/ ... never-fly/
So , there is "realism" , and then there is "negativity", plus much worse , as in the case with the bumble bee then people sometimes are too hung up on fitting everything into their neat little boxes to able to accept that they might not know or understand everything - why we sometimes all needs to , well , maybe step out of the box when thinking (?) . Really haven't figured it all out yet , but I will have to say that while I in many ways knows my limitations then I am certainly not going to let that stand in my way of trying to alter what I think needs altering or stop me from trying to make what anyone else than I think is impossible :-D
St_W wrote:I can understand that you feel excited about your discovery in your situation, but I'm not, to be honest. I'm sorry for the little empathy.
I do not care if you are not exited - how many times do I have to explain this to you ? , the thread is not aimed at satisfying you or other "expert programmers", it's from me to whoever can appreciate it. Why can't you just accept that ?
deltarho[1859] wrote:I am beginning to lose count on the number of threads started by you ending with " ... for Newbies". After only one month of starting using FB I feel that such posts are a little premature. To my mind you are trying to 'Run before you can walk.'
Spoil sport . :-D
deltarho[1859] wrote:Well, some of them are needed right now and should be addressed before moving on.
I would like to suggest that you stop trying to impose your values in this matter on me !!!
For me it is much more important to be able to derive some sort of pleasure of what I do and to go where I want to go rather than having to take on your value sets. A lot of the things I push aside now I might not ever learn for one reason or another but if so then there will be a reason for that too , other things I will learn if and when it is the time for it. And I do not agree with your opinion about what is necessarily needed and not needed to program in FB.
I may not ever be able to make whatever you can , but I don't need to I just need to be able to make what I need.
deltarho[1859] wrote:and, boy, did you get your back up. <smile>
No not really , but then again you do not know me very well.
deltarho[1859] wrote:St_W has never got my back up but then being an INTP, Jungian typology, my nature is 92% thinking and 8% feeling. I may be wrong but I suspect that your feeling level is greater than mine. 100% thinkers are related to Mr Spock. <laugh>
I really , don't know , for the greater part of my life people have accused me of being as you describe yourself , but as far as I am concerned then generally speaking then I am just a being governed by reason more than emotions !.
deltarho[1859] wrote:Notice my use of <smile>. I use that a lot along with <laugh> and, occasionally, <grrr!>. They are called interjections used to express an isolated emotion or sentiment. It is my way of avoiding a text-only communication. They are usually placed at the beginning of a sentence but I tend to use them at the end being an awkward SOB. <grin>
I think that you do quite all right with respect to that.
deltarho[1859] wrote:I have noticed your placing, for example, the following in your code. : Made by freebasic.net forum member "Trinity" who started using FB and Joined freebasic.net forum at Sep 16, 2017 18:07"
I am not a psychologist but some folk may interpret that negatively.
I can not stop people from interpreting but I meant to express two things , one , I meant to make a clear distinction between I and any other user of the "nick" Trinity , and two : I meant to express that I had only one months of experience with FB when making this - expressing both the good and the bad sides of that. (while yo seem to be hung up on the negative)
deltarho[1859] wrote:Please accept the following advice from an old fart who has 'rubbed up' more people than you have had hot dinners, probably.
CHILL OUT.
You have no idea how much of my life I have spend trying to "chill it" ;-) :-D
deltarho[1859] wrote:Further advice. Draft your responses in a text editor and read it a few times before posting. That way you will have the opportunity to remove stuff that you may regret having written. Perhaps you do, in which case it may be worthwhile to put it to one side for a while. I use, as I have done here, an application called 'EZ-Post' by a guy at the PowerBASIC forums. It has 'Code', 'Quote', 'Link' and such like built in. It may be worthwhile to rewrite it for FreeBASIC - I will have a word with the author.
You are absolutely right that I ought to put stuff aside for a while sometimes and I do that with a lot of stuff , and then re-read , but this is a forum and time is an issue also as far as I am concerned. Anyway , I have learned that I can read stuff ten times and then not catch an error before seeing it posted - I mean I preview mostly everything I post several times prior to posting but that doesn't prevent me from having to fix errors in what I have written.
Kuron wrote:I hate to see anybody who has an interest in programming feel they may not be good enough based on the comments of somebody else.
My point exactly , but that's not just a matter of programming but also true about initiative in so many aspects of life , but that's a discussion to wide and big for here...
deltarho[1859] wrote:"Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darkness of other people."
If you understood your own darkness you would understand that the only way to deal with that is to persistently seek the light - and to the extend that you do not agree with that is the extend to which you do not understand your own darkness. Now! , that's out of the way , could we then please drop this discussion ?

(The time it takes for all of this is simply far too long - this post in it's entire scope took me like four hours to write)

Return to “Tips and Tricks”