drWinFBE_Tools

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

Re: drWinFBE_Tools

Post by deltarho[1859] »

With the recent updates rather than download drWinFBETools.zip in the opening post I have simply posted the respective recent updates.

Unfortunately, that makes "The exes are the latest versions of user tools for the WinFBE IDE by Paul Squires." in the opening post a false statement. That has been corrected and is now true.

Someone new to this thread can read the first post, download and read no more - the Help file says it all.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

SetCompilerSwitchesII [SCS] version 1.0.16 is now available — four years after my last post. :o

SCS messages are now centred on SCS. If SCS is close to a monitor edge, the message will be moved to avoid it being clipped.

Example:

There is a bit of colour, and why not, and the font size is 12 point - I find 8 point is too small nowadays.

SCS is also multiple monitor aware, so you will get centring on secondary monitors if you have any.

Simply replace your current SCS in WinFBE's Tools folder. You should also drop in DlgMsgBox.dll there as well; that adds the new features.

Updated zip in the opening post. There is a note dated 16 Feb 2024.

Added: Messages have a 10 second timeout but you can click OK before that.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

After using Encrypternet messages with a font size of 10 and SetCompilerSwitchwesII (SCS) with a message font size of 12 I now feel that a message font size of 12 is too much.

With SCS if we add 'l' or 'L' to the filename the form's font size is larger instead of the default of 8. I should imagine that some users will prefer the larger form font size.

However, regarding the message font size, the user has no control.

The user now has control.

Whether 'l' or 'L' is used if the last character of the file name is a hex value, then messages will use the decimal value as a message font size.

Values less than 9 are forced to be 8. Values of a/A to f/F will give message font sizes of 10 to 15.

Effectively, then we have a choice of 9 to f/F; with a default of 8.

SetCompilerSwitchesIIc.exe will give a default form font size and a message font size of 12. I should imagine that most users will use a message font size of either the default or 10 point.

I am currently using SetCompilerSwitchesIILA.exe which gives a larger form font size and a message font size of 10.

Whatever you use, make sure that it is reflected in WinFBE's User Tools form; Ctrl+F7.

Updated zip in the opening post. SCS now at version 1.0.17. The Help file has also been updated.
Arachnophilia

Post by Arachnophilia »

Hello David

I have questions.
When I start your programs, a CAposition.dat and a CSposition.dat are created.
Such *.dat files are also created by the program EnCrypterNet.
What are these files used for or what are they needed for?
What information is stored in the files.

Another thing
I can only start the SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe program once.
Unfortunately, the program is not terminated on exit, but remains in memory. On the second attempt I get the corresponding message.
I can only terminate the process via the TaskManager.
This is certainly not intentional.
Perhaps you can find the time to take a look at this?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@Arachnophilia

CAposition and CSposition are simply the last instance location of ArchSettings and SetCompilerSwitchesII respectively if they differ from their opening locations.

Example re SetCompilerSwitchesII

Code: Select all

GetWindowRect( hDlg, @rc )
' If Window has moved Then save current position
If xWindow <> rc.left Orelse yWindow <> rc.top Then
  f = Freefile
  Open AfxGetExePath & "\CSposition.dat" For Output As #f
    Put #f, , rc.left
    Put #f, , rc.top
  Close #f
End If

If you delete them, then on the next instance the respective window will be centred on the desktop or the primary monitor if one exists.

A new location check is executed on Closing.

Nothing clever, and I have used this method for quite a few years. It just works.

> I can only start the SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe program once.

I don't understand that.

If you close SetCompilerSwitchesII you can load it again, if WinFBE is in focus, via Ctrl+5; or File>User Tools>Set compiler switches.

SetCompilerSwitches monitors WinFBE via a 100ms timer. If WinFBE is found to be minimized then SetCompilerSwitches is minimized. When WinFBE is Restored then so is SetCompilerSwitches. If WinFBE cannot be found SetCompilerSwitches Closes.

If WinFBE is closed just after a timer interrupt, then it will be close to 100ms later before SetCompilerSwitches closes. Occasionally, you may see that 'hesitation'. The expected 'hesitation' is, of course, 50ms and that is below our 'radar'.

As for remaining in memory, that used to be the case with early versions of SetCompilerSwitches, but even then, it could be closed without needing to use the Task Manager.

I don't understand your issues.

What version of SetCompilerSwitches are you using? It is currently at 1.0.17.

Added: You need to be on WinFBE 3.0 and above, says the Help file. :)
Arachnophilia

Post by Arachnophilia »

Hello David

Thanks for the feedback.
I am using the latest versions of WinFBE (3.1.0) and SetCompilerSwitchesII (1.0.17), among others.
However, you have drawn my attention to an error.
I had tried the latest version of SetCompilerSwitchesII under WinFBE v2, which I still use from time to time.

Reading the help file would have been helpful in this case. :wink:
Then I will copy the files to WinFBE v3 and try again.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Arachnophilia

There was an issue with earlier versions of WinFBE which made my plugins not to behave as expected. I mentioned this to Paul, and he rewrote a section in WinFBE to facilitate the plugins. They have worked fine ever since. He introduced the new code in version 3.0.

Had you mentioned that you used SetCompilerSwitches in WinFBE V2 I would have told you that it would not work. :)

Hopefully, when you use the latest SetCompilerSwitches in WinFBE V3 you should not have any issues.

The problem was mentioned in the forum as well as stating WinFBE V3 and above should be used with the then latest SetCompilerSwitches in the Help file, but you must have missed that.

You are the first person to mention trying Encrypternet. That is six years old and I've never had any feedback. It is donationware and I've only had one donation. I suspect some people are using it but don't want that to be known. I have a new version which uses DlgMsgBox; as does SetCompilerSwitches now. The centring is better behaved, and I am more confident that multiple monitor awareness is better behaved as well. A tip: With SSDs and device properties, the Removal policy will probably be set as 'Quick removal (default)'. If that is changed to 'Better performance' encryption/decryption is about 30% faster using write caching.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Oops. I changed the way the larger form font size was determined and made a silly mistake.

To get the larger form font size, we must now use 'L' and not the lower case. The correction is included in the opening post zip as well as here.

SetCompilerSwitchesII
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@Arachnophilia

I got your pm and I have replied, but there is no evidence that the reply worked. I have checked all my settings and they seem OK.

Anyway, interesting read — thanks for that.

Are you OK with SetCompilerSwitches now?
Arachnophilia

Post by Arachnophilia »

Hello David

Too bad I didn't receive your message!
I have checked several times, but I have not received a PN from you. Also no notification whether you have read my message or not. Possibly a setting. But this should work reliably.
Your program works under WinFBE 3.1.0 with no complaints on my part.

PS: I have just checked my settings:
Sending or receiving PN or notifications is not prevented in my settings.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Arachnophilia wrote:Your program works under WinFBE 3.1.0 with no complaints on my part.
Thanks.

This thread and the previous thread on drWinFBE_Tools have a total of 18,360 views, so I should imagine that I wasn't the only one interested in hearing whether it was working for you or not. :)

There is something wrong with the private messaging. I have used it many times and have not had a problem replying to anyone before.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Arachnophilia wrote: Feb 22, 2024 18:19 Too bad I didn't receive your message!
I have checked several times, but I have not received a PN from you. Also no notification whether you have read my message or not. Possibly a setting. But this should work reliably.

PS: I have just checked my settings:
Sending or receiving PN or notifications is not prevented in my settings.

I just sent you a PM to test the functionality with you both ways.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@fxm

I have just sent you a PM.

The Outbox shows Outbox (1). When the (1) clears, I'll know that you have read it.

Try to reply.

:)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@fxm

Your reply worked. Now let's see if my reply works.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Doesn't look like my reply is working. I've just had another go.

So, I can receive a PM and send a PM but cannot reply to a PM. There isn't a setting to stop replying. The ability to reply should be a given when sending is permitted. :?

The reply did not show in 'Sent messages' and the Outbox did not display (1).