Need new gfxlib driver for Windows 7, 8, 10

Windows specific questions.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Need new gfxlib driver for Windows 7, 8, 10

Postby coderJeff » Jun 18, 2018 3:28

Does anyone seen fbc's gfxlib2 DirectX driver working on Win7+ 64-bit with fbc 64-bit program?

Code: Select all

#include once "fbgfx.bi"
screen 19
dim x as string
screencontrol( fb.GET_DRIVER_NAME, x )
print x
sleep

On Win7-64bit, fbc-32bit, I get "DirectX"
On Win7-64bit, fbc-64bit, I get "GDI"

I was messing around with graphics in thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26419

What I found was that existing gfxlib2 DirectX driver:
- always fails for me under win7-64bit, fbc-64bit. I see the gfx window create/destory a couple of times while gfxlib2 tries to create a working screen mode
- and Win7-64bit provides enough emulation that running a fbc-32bit program DirectX succeeds.

gfxlib2 uses DirectDraw interface, which Microsoft has deprecated. I tried using DirectDraw7 interface but it's the same.

If no one sees DirectX working on Win7-64bit, fbc-64 bit, then, we need a new driver.

The driver could be prototyped in FreeBASIC. To be used for the driver (written in C), need to show:
- window & full screen
- copy from memory to display memory
- wait for vertical blanking interrupt
- I'm kind of assuming that the general message loop can be reused from existing windows gfxlib drivers

Can anyone help? My knowledge of windows API's is kind of out of date now.
VANYA

Re: Need new gfxlib driver for Windows 7, 8, 10

Postby VANYA » Jun 18, 2018 9:23

Hi!

DIRECTDRAW has long been out of date. In my opinion, the best solution would be to rewrite the fbgfx library under OpenGL. Obvious advantages:

1) unloading the processor due to the fact that a considerable part of the work will take over the video card. Today, FbGFX uses only the power of the processor.
2) the potential of OpenGL for new functions (resize, rotate ...)
3) independence from Microsoft. Who knows what they will declare tomorrow obsolete ...
marcov

Postby marcov » Jun 18, 2018 10:41

VANYA wrote:DIRECTDRAW has long been out of date.

Directdraw has been integrated into DirectX. DirectX does break compatibility more often though.

In my opinion, the best solution would be to rewrite the fbgfx library under OpenGL. Obvious advantages:

This would be a perfectly valid opinion a few years ago, but you are writing this a week after Apple announced it would drop OpenGL, and the last year Vulkan slowly is getting more relevant for new development

1) unloading the processor due to the fact that a considerable part of the work will take over the video card. Today, FbGFX uses only the power of the processor.

Usually this requires a redesign of the library and its API.

3) independence from Microsoft. Who knows what they will declare tomorrow obsolete ...

Well, of all the graphics apis, OpenGL has the biggest chance.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Postby coderJeff » Jun 18, 2018 18:41

angros47 worked on this Patch - Rendering of FreeBasic graphic on OpenGL. I'm not sure if anyone has taken much notice of it. I think the feature just needs a little more polish to finish. If it works really well, maybe this could be the alternative for win7, I don't know.
Imortis

Postby Imortis » Jun 18, 2018 18:59

coderJeff wrote:angros47 worked on this Patch - Rendering of FreeBasic graphic on OpenGL. I'm not sure if anyone has taken much notice of it. I think the feature just needs a little more polish to finish. If it works really well, maybe this could be the alternative for win7, I don't know.

It is already in the unofficial builds. It works pretty well with my testing.
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jun 18, 2018 19:07

SDL backend!
St_W

Postby St_W » Jun 18, 2018 21:41

dkl wrote:SDL backend!

Sounds quite heavyweight (at least compared to the existing gfxlib backends), yet would allow easy/easier portability, also to new systems like OSX or Android.
sean_vn

Postby sean_vn » Jun 20, 2018 2:49

The gfxlib doesn't work on some versions of Linux now. Lack of maintenance? I'm using java and javafx gui instead. Oracle though are looking for ways to commercially exploit java to the maximum, which is a big negative. For all the programming languages out there, there aren't too many light weight, low level ones with built in graphics.
lizard

Postby lizard » Jun 20, 2018 3:45

sean_vn wrote:The gfxlib doesn't work on some versions of Linux now.

Do you know which ones these are?
sean_vn

Postby sean_vn » Jun 21, 2018 2:40

I'm using XenialPup, where you are permanently administrator! Obviously I don't care very much about security.
lizard

Postby lizard » Jun 21, 2018 3:25

You cant expect the gfxlib becomes rewritten only for XenialPup which is a minimal distro intended for outdated hardware ( > 1 GHZ processor and 768 MB ram).
coderJeff
Site Admin

Postby coderJeff » Jun 22, 2018 17:36

DirectX/DirectDraw, I suppose the most recent interface would be DirectX/Direct2D. I know nothing about that interface. It looks like have to create a dozen objects to construct a working interface.

SDL backend: Can it be loaded dynamically at runtime? i.e. use it if it is available, but don't require that it be installed, distributed, etc. Another interface I know nothing about.

Design of fbgfx is a main memory drawing "surface". The driver part only needs to copy from memory to display using whatever API is available. I know, I'm over simplifying.
speedfixer

Postby speedfixer » Jun 22, 2018 20:30

having gfxlib work with SDL or Vulcan?

now THIS is an exciting topic!

Return to “Windows”