JK-IDE

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

JK-IDE

Postby deltarho[1859] » Mar 13, 2018 7:04

JK-IDE is worth looking at. It is my default IDE when I am workning on PowerBASIC code.

My RSA ECDSA thread has the bas file at 926 lines. I have been tweaking that and the bas is now at 1062 lines. If you have not been to that thread it uses José Roca's WinFBX, with two of his inc files, four bi files and an rc file pulling in three images. I have just compiled and run in JK-IDE without issue.

All I did was add these two lines at the head of the bas file.

Code: Select all

#Compiler FreeBASIC
#Compile /o "-gen gcc -Wc -O3 AES-RSA-ECDSA.rc"

Before /o I could have indicated [EXE|DLL|LIB] [GUI|CONSOLE] [32|64]

However, the default is EXE GUI 32 so I left them out.

The author, Juergen Kuehlwein, has been a member at PowerBASIC since Nov 2010 and initially published JK-IDE in Jun 2015. I don't know how long he has been working on FreeBASIC support but he finally joined these forums only a week ago.

When it comes to colour coding keywords in the source code FreeBASIC is fully covered as are the Windows APIs.

Example

srvaldez

Re: JK-IDE

Postby srvaldez » Mar 13, 2018 12:08

thanks for the tip :-)
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Mar 13, 2018 14:09

I downloaded the .zip.
(Quite a large file)
Unfortunately when starting jk_ide .exe I was shown a licence agreement, which I assume means if I accept, something is installed.
This risks, of course, files being spread around in directories outwith user control and perhaps registry alterations.
So with Win 10 this is a definite No no.
I don't have power basic anyway, so I don't know why I downloaded in the first place.
But if Juergen Kuehlwein is making a dual fb/pb ide, I would ask him to skip all this agreement and installation stuff and just give us a straight .zip and run ide.
Good luck Juergen Kuehlwein, with your project.
We will have more freebasic ides than there are ides of March (Thursday)<silly prophecy>
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Mar 13, 2018 14:58

@dodicat

That was a copyright notice and disclaimer which included one by Neil Hodgson with regard Scintilla and SciTE.
I would ask him to skip all this agreement and installation stuff and just give us a straight .zip and run ide.

Not a good idea - even for freeware.

I don't know where you put the unzipped folder but the software was not installed. There is no uninstaller. To 'uninstall' we simply delete the folder.

If I remember correctly St_W was suggesting that D.J.Peters, I think, do the same for some of his work.

Have look at José Roca's WinFBX. At the head is a disclaimer.

If there is no licence agreement with downloaded software then, strictly speaking, we are not allowed to use that software.

I could not find a licence with FBEdit. FBIde has one in the readme.txt file.
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Mar 13, 2018 15:18

Thanks deltarho[]
Maybe all that should be written at the top of the readme.
I didn't mind experimenting when I used Win XP, it seemed a more robust OS.
But Win 10 is different, I don't have an installation CD, so I don't have that last resort.
Having an agreement to sign is unusual for freebasicers IMO.
At least in these last dozen years I have not seen anything to agree to. Disagreeing, yes, I don't mind doing that, bring it on.

Thanks again.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Mar 13, 2018 16:22

@dodicat
But Win 10 is different, I don't have an installation CD, so I don't have that last resort.

Get a copy of EaseUS ToDo Backup

There is a Free version or a Home version. I have the Home version which has a scheduler. My system is backed up at 21:00 everyday. I run a lean machine backing up only 37.8GB at the moment. I go from internal SSD to external SSD holding five days worth of backups. Last night the backup started at 21:00:10 and finished at 21:04:08. I have seen Win 10 go completely 'pear shaped' three times and have gotten to the previous evening's desktop in about 13 minutes. All I do is shutdown, insert a flash drive, power on and chose a backup. The C: drive is wiped clean and the backup written. A friend of mine has also seen as many Win 10 go down the tube. He has very much larger backups than I do and his backups are on an external 1TB HDD; which are as cheap as chips nowadays.

I must admit that the first time I had to restore a backup I was a bit nervous. It was an absolute doddle. Win 10 can 'fall over' anytime it likes for all I care.

A few weeks ago some folks who participate in the Win 10 Insider's scheme could not start Windows after an update and were fuming. How anyone can participate in that without a backup system is beyond me. Everyone of them could have been back at a working desktop in no time at all.

If you can afford it go for the ToDo Backup Home version. It has been the best buy that ever I made and my friend has said as much.

Added: I have just upgraded my copy of BleachBit to version 2. The opening dialog asked if I wanted to accept the agreement or not; which I did. It is freeware but donations can be made so it is 'Donation Ware'. JK-IDE is also 'donation ware'. After three months, or so, I made a donation - I was using it everyday <smile>. There is no nag screen if one is not made. I very much doubt that Juergen is driving around in a Ferrari on the strength of donations.

Return to “Windows”