I've tried allowing to run as admin'
and uninstalling and re-installing fbide+freebasic

Previously compiled FreeBASIC programs run ok

Ant ideas please?

Dave
St_W

Re: Windows 10 update stopped fbide working

Postby St_W » Jul 02, 2016 23:21

This error means that the application can't be initialized. Probably most often due to missing DLLs.
I cannot remember how often I've already written this suggestion, but here once again:
Use depends.exe to view the application's dependencies and install missing one(s). Consult the FAQ and Help in case you've never used depends.exe yet (as a Windows programmer you probably should), so that you can interpret its output correctly.
I guess it's some version of the MS Visual C++ runtime libraries that is missing on your PC.

Of course missing dependencies is not the only possible reason that failure, but it's the most common one. So if you don't find out anything with the described steps we've to look somewhere else.
triton

Postby triton » Jul 03, 2016 23:30

Thanks for that information will look into it.

It was quite a major update- took ages- surely if I had this trouble others will too? I'm not unique. If its a missing dll, that used to be there, is there a way to stop this happening again? I believe Fbide is quite old and its survived windows updates all this time on my win7 machine.

Dave
St_W

Postby St_W » Jul 04, 2016 0:38

You're right, it would be rather strange if DLLs get removed/corrupted with a Windows update, but still possible. Just check the dependencies and if they are not the problem you have to look somewhere else: Do you use any special software that hooks into application initialization (e.g. via AppInit_DLLs) - security software might do that.

Let's hope that it's one of these issues, because I don't know how to dig into this error to get more details. You can't debug it as the error occurs in the Application Loader, before the program is actually executed. Maybe Windows Event Log has more information?

But first check what I described.

Personally I don't use fbIde, but I guess if there would be a general problem other users would have complained already/too.
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jul 04, 2016 12:43

I also use Win 10, but quite recently.
According to dxdiag my version is:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release_sec.160527-1834)

I also use fbide.
No problems here.
The only idiosyncrasy is the operating system report :
System:
FBIde: 0.4.6
fbc: FreeBASIC Compiler - Version 1.05.0 (01-31-2016), built for win32 (32bit)

That is, the Windows NT 6.2 bit.
I think the NT version should be 10.
Nova_Patrol

Postby Nova_Patrol » Feb 04, 2018 1:46

> surely if I had this trouble others will too?

Ding! Ding! Ding!

I've been using FB so long I've lost all track of any past membership here (maybe 8-10 years back) and had to re-register...

MS evidently dumped an "upgrade" on me last time I was online, and my machine spontaneously did a restart last night when I wasn't looking. This is a three week old Win 10 machine. The dates on the system files are around Aug. 2017, meaning after the date of the OP.

I was right in the middle of program development, so I know this very recent download and install of FbIDE v0.4.6 / FB v1.05 works (or worked) fine, at least for several days or a week, but now I get the very error which is the topic of this thread.

I went and got depends.exe -- the diapers might have been a better choice! -- which I'd never heard of until now, and there could easily be several hundred files depends.exe is not happy about. FbIDE totally blew it up.

Under Properties/Compatibility, for the program file .exe, I can set the Compatibility mode back all the way to Win 95, but no choice makes any difference. One can also do this in Explorer, where highlighting the file will make a Manage tab available, where a compatibility troubleshooter is accessible, which decides Win XP - Service Pack 3 is the right choice, even though it's not. This troubleshooter will also appear after a new choice is selected in Properties/Compatibility.

Any ideas?
Nova_Patrol

Postby Nova_Patrol » Feb 16, 2018 0:28

The solution turned out to be just waiting for the next MS "update". Sheesh!

Now it runs fine - using compatibility setting for Win XP SP3 - at least for the moment.

Return to “Windows”