PDF viewing

Windows specific questions.
Dinosaur

PDF viewing

Postby Dinosaur » May 04, 2011 21:44

Hi all

Search of the site shows very little on this subject.
I want to show a pdf document from within my app.

Has it been done, or do I need to Shell out.?

Regards
TJF

Postby TJF » May 05, 2011 5:28

There is libpoppler to handle it:

http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

No header for FB yet, as I know.

Allthough I often generate PDF documents with cairo, I don't care about viewing them in my apps, because nearly every system has a PDF viewer. And it's more than just showing a PDF: next step will be to care about printing as well. And most people like their PDF viewer and aren't willing to use another.

So under the bottom line I allways shell it out by adding a entry field in the preference dialog, where the user can specify the command to call his prefered PDF-viewer.
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » May 06, 2011 5:24

You probably found it when searching, but I made this:
http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14418
It uses a command-line utility that converts each page of a PDF to a bitmap, then loads that. It's the easiest way to do it.
Dinosaur

Postby Dinosaur » May 06, 2011 6:47

Hi all

The reason for wanting to do this, is that I am providing original manufacturers pdf doc's with my machines as part of the support.

But because I use XPe on a 2Gb CFC, I am running out of room to add Adobe Acrobat.

Kristopher your solution is one way to go, or I can download a open source pdf reader that doesn't need 100Mb.
Interestingly your post didn't come up in my search, but the search engine on this site sucks anyway.

Most of the photo's of spare parts etc are already .bmp format, but some of these pdf's are huge.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Regards

Return to “Windows”