win7 vs 8

Windows specific questions.
dafhi

win7 vs 8

Postby dafhi » Dec 31, 2019 22:25

Been a fan of 7 since .. well, doesn't matter. Wasn't a fan of 8 b/c there were a few more clicks to get the same thing done and you can't select individual updates.

[updated description]
Re-acquainting with 8.1, a Blender render happens about 6.5% faster than in 7 SP1
dafhi

Re: win7 vs 8

Postby dafhi » Jan 12, 2020 0:59

false alarm. it was the version of 7 i was using
rinochekk

Postby rinochekk » Mar 16, 2020 17:47

Somebody is using win7 in 2k20?
ShawnLG

Postby ShawnLG » Mar 20, 2020 16:43

rinochekk wrote:Somebody is using win7 in 2k20?

A good number of people still use Windows 7. Windows 8 and 10 sucks.
PaulSquires

Postby PaulSquires » Mar 20, 2020 17:14

ShawnLG wrote:
rinochekk wrote:Somebody is using win7 in 2k20?

A good number of people still use Windows 7. Windows 8 and 10 sucks.

Suck or not suck, I'd rather be using Win10 and know that I am at least getting a reasonably assurance that Microsoft is trying to keep it up to date with security fixes.
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Mar 28, 2020 12:32

PaulSquires wrote:Suck or not suck, I'd rather be using Win10 and know that I am at least getting a reasonably assurance that Microsoft is trying to keep it up to date with security fixes.

The worst thing of all for me about win10, is that it doesn't save the last position of the explorer window attached to a directoy of the desktop. They just stack in a silly way, so you always have to resize and reposition everything, which I find a useless waste of time. Such things didn't occure in 8, 7 or before.
paul doe

Postby paul doe » Mar 28, 2020 13:40

@TouristTrap: how so? It does work as expected for me. When you press Win+E, an explorer window is opened at the position of the last one you closed, and starts to stack from there. I recall Win7 having the same behavior, whereas I don't recall it opening a specific folder in a specific desktop position...

@ShawnLG: a good number of people is going to get hacked pretty soon >:)
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Mar 28, 2020 14:44

paul doe wrote:@TouristTrap: how so? It does work as expected for me. When you press Win+E, an explorer window is opened at the position of the last one you closed, and starts to stack from there. I recall Win7 having the same behavior, whereas I don't recall it opening a specific folder in a specific desktop position...

Maybe true for 7, I can't remember, but XP and 8 , had another behaviour. They were able to record each location and size individually for a given folder. That means for example that my folder X was for instance at some location in the screen, and maybe a size of 100x100, then another folder Y something else, and they would always open like this on the desktop unless you displace them (or sometimes if you explore a parent folder from there and close the folder in this state). This way you could have a meaningful configuration of fixed folders according to your habit and also sized accordingly to their content (what the purpose of opening a big explorer window for the 3 same documentation pdf etc..).
jimg

Postby jimg » Mar 28, 2020 16:27

I use ShellFolderFixUI as a startup program to remember how I want each folder to show. Works great.
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Mar 28, 2020 17:08

jimg wrote:I use ShellFolderFixUI as a startup program to remember how I want each folder to show. Works great.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately here is what I obtain when googling it :
https://www.file.net/process/shellfolderfixui.exe.html
If ShellFolderFixUI.exe is located in a subfolder of the user's "Documents" folder, the security rating is 82% dangerous. The file size is 2,625,024 bytes. The ShellFolderFixUI.exe file is a file with no information about its developer. The program has no visible window. The program starts upon Windows startup (see Registry key: User Shell Folders). ShellFolderFixUI.exe is not a Windows core file. ShellFolderFixUI.exe is able to record keyboard and mouse inputs.

Not that I wouldn't use it if I wasn't using my computer for working at home (due to coronavirus retention measures...). But I would be interested in what windows api is used by this program.
jimg

Postby jimg » Mar 29, 2020 5:09

It's a huge pig at 2.5 megs, and it probably uses lots and lots of different api's to get the job done.
If you decide to use it, use the standalone portable version, not the installable version. There is no reason to install it at all. Just unzip it to a folder and run it manually or drop a shortcut to the exe in your startup folder. It's been around for a decade, and I've used it for many years without any problems.
That page you referenced looks like it was put together by some boilerplate program without human intervention or oversite. Just be sure to download from a trusted site.

Return to “Windows”