SetCompilerPathsII & SetCompilerSwitches for WinFBE

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

Re: SetCompilerPathsII & SetCompilerSwitches for WinFBE

Postby deltarho[1859] » Feb 13, 2020 16:00

A couple more tips.

I have not written any FB programs which use many functions so tend not to use the 'View Explorer Window'; although I did when writing Encrypternet. It is handy because we can double-click on a procedure and WinFBE will jump straight to it. Well there is fair chance that you will have enough space at the bottom of the Explorer Window to locate the 'Paths' and 'Switches' windows so you could open them and leave them open without getting in the way of code.

With the batch file approach a command prompt very briefly opens and closes - more like flashes on and off. However, if we go into the 'User Tools' window and look at the SCPplusSCS entry, at the bottom right, of all tools, there is a checkbox where we can force 'Run minimized'. This minimizes the command prompt, so we no longer see it flash on and off. Well done, Paul. Image
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Feb 14, 2020 0:45

More tips.

If you do as I do and put the tools at the far right of WinFBE's code edit area then ideally we want to make sure that our code lines do not exceed the 'x-position' of the nearest tool. In WinFBE's 'Environment>Code Editor' we have 'Show edge margin' and an edit box to insert a 'Position'. I have mine set to 158, just a couple of pixels to the left of the nearest tool. Not going beyond that margin by using a continuation marker will ensure that the nearest tool does not interfere with our code.

I have now decided to never close these tools and would prefer they were executed at WinFBE's startup.

Well that is easy enough using this batch file, put into WinFBE's Tools folder.; using your paths.

WinFBEStart.bat

Code: Select all

start F:\WinFBE_Suite_1.94\WinFBE64-1.94.exe
timeout /t 1
start F:\WinFBE_Suite_1.94\Tools\SetCompilerPathsII.exe
start F:\WinFBE_Suite_1.94\Tools\SetCompilerSwitchesII.exe

The tools get loaded with great speed and before WinFBE does, so I've put a one-second delay before loading the tools. ( Timeout: Windows 7 or later ). I have put a shortcut to WinFBEStart.bat on my desktop. The shortcut's Property Sheet allows Run with a 'Normal window', 'Minimized', or 'Maximized'. If we choose 'Minimized' then we don't see a prompt command flash on and off.

You may think that I must be really bone idle (British) coming up with some above ideas but I refuse point-blank to do anything that my machine can do for me. I am bone idle but what has that got to do with it. Image

With all of these tips then they are begging for a Help file. If fifty people or more request one then I will write one. Image
srvaldez

Postby srvaldez » Feb 14, 2020 12:09

@deltarho[1859]
thank you for the tips
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Feb 14, 2020 19:18

This is what I have finally ended up with on my secondary monitor.

I double-click on a desktop shortcut called WinFBE (WinFBEStart.bat) and WinFBE loads along with CSwitches and CPaths at the top right with no command prompt flashing on and off. On loading some source code a margin is placed just to the left of CSwitches and I won't code beyond that margin. I can grab the scrollbar and move it up and down with CSwitches and CPaths remaining fixed. When editing, CSWitches and CPaths remain visible as they are Topmost.

For testing the various compilers and gcc optimization levels this is the ideal setup for me. I am done with this now. Image

Return to “Windows”