FB to Ubuntu Dapper. Step by step tutorial.

Linux specific questions.
D.J.Peters

Post by D.J.Peters »

If i read this thread it seams to me that ubuntu is an desktop distro.
As an programmer i use on slackware based distros (the mother of all distros)
and the most dev packages are installed from beginning.

I think it's a good idea to make an FB package for ubuntu with all depending libs.

More stressless for beginners :-)

Joshy
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

Yes, Ubuntu is a desktop distro, but it is famous for being easy to use for beginners, and powerful for beginners.

I have used slackware before, but I just didn't like it that much. I loved the rc.d files, but I just didn't enjoy it the way I did Ubuntu. It did run nicely on my laptop (600 mhz, 256 ram) but it didn't suit my needs. I am runnning the latest Ubuntu until they fix Xubuntu.
tunginobi

Post by tunginobi »

Never thought I'd ever encounter a Linux distro without a C compiler provided by default, but meet Ubuntu...

Anybody here familiar with Debian packages? We could make a dummy package for FB, one that has dependencies for the same stuff that FB needs before it will work on Ubuntu. Installing a package automatically resolves its dependencies, so it'd be a one-command solution to all Ubuntu FB users.

We could even have additional packages like this for whatever's needed for each lib. All such packages would be suggested for installation by the base dummy package.
southern cross

Post by southern cross »

Yes I am one of those beginners using Xubuntu.

Ubuntu seems very sensitve to libs that do not have the ubuntu extension in them.
I have tried installing Debian libs and it looked like it wanted to remove half of my system!

I have tried installing the required libs manually one by one and the dependancy problems just got worse.

A lot of the Ubuntu version libs don't seem compatible with many applications that require compiling, not only FB,
and when I install the required versions, Ubuntu starts to complain somewhere else :(

Luckily I could get all the original libs back.
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

Xubuntu, unfortunutly, is terrible. It is in it's first version, and has many errors. You can't even get PCMCIA support with it! Until they fix Xubuntu, I would use normal Ubuntu. It is sad, Xubuntu sounded perfect. It is too new, and it seems the developers don't care or are working rather slow.
blhandi2

One small step

Post by blhandi2 »

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the newest desktop version of ubuntu. Then was able to install fbc with no issues. Then installed the ubuntu stuff to be able to compile and run the simplest of programs.
It was kind of a trial and error effort. All distros are frustrating to me the first time I use them. My goal was to get a fbc program to compile. I was helped by this forum so I thought I would post my success, however minor.

Thanks to all freebasic supporters.

ubuntu
fbc
Download and install freebasic

Install of find Editor of your choice

ubuntu
apt-get update
apt-get install gcc
apt-get install libc6-dev
apt-get install ncurses-dev

fbc helloworld.bas would compile and run with no
error/warnings
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

Now, try compiling with X11 support (use the screen or screenres statement)...
tunginobi

Post by tunginobi »

Just discovered, you'll need libxrender-dev for graphics. For me, it had another dependency: x11proto-render-dev.
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

tunginobi wrote:Just discovered, you'll need libxrender-dev for graphics. For me, it had another dependency: x11proto-render-dev.
Those seems to be "key" libs with dapper.
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

I got it!

A clean install, after a dist-upgrade, this is THE compelete list of dependencies for FreeBASIC!

apt-get install gcc
apt-get install libc6-dev
apt-get install ncurses-dev
/*Only install the next 4 if you need X11 (non-terminal) support*/
apt-get install libx11-dev
apt-get install libxext-dev
apt-get install libxpm-dev
apt-get install libxrandr-dev
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

Wait, I forgot libxrender-dev...
Torahteen

Post by Torahteen »

Hi guys... I installed all of the packages stated by nathan, and it is now saying that it can't find lwx-c when linking... what do I need now?
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

I havent played with Visual wx-c developer but there is own area for it on forums. Prolly there is installing guide.

http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

[Edit]
Sourceforge url is here in case you havent downloaded it yet.
http://vwx-cdev.sourceforge.net/
[/Edit]
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Nathan1993 wrote:I got it!
I updated first post by quoting your list. Thanks for sharing it =)
{Nathan}

Post by {Nathan} »

Update: This works on Xubuntu. Not sure about Kubuntu and Edubuntu, though. Should work if it works on Xubuntu.