tinfo trouble

Linux specific questions.
hungnguyengia

tinfo trouble

Post by hungnguyengia »

My linux distro has no libtinfo, regardless v5 or v6. I have checked very carefully, there is no packages provide it. The only thing we have is libncurses. The binary package of FB for Ubuntu Linux of course failed to work on this distro since there is no libtinfo. What I have to do now?
hungnguyengia

Re: tinfo trouble

Post by hungnguyengia »

Building from source on said distro, using the Ubuntu binary package as the bootstrap compiler. It's weirded when it's still trying to link with libtinfo, since there is no mention of libtinfo on makefile other than in the comment section. The makefile's BOOTSTRAP_LIBS clearly states it will link with libncurses and not libtinfo:

# (for example: ncurses/libtinfo, gpm, Linux headers, X11, OpenGL, DirectX)
rm -r $(packinc)/curses/ncurses.bi
BOOTSTRAP_LIBS := -lncurses -lm -pthread

The result is of course no fbc binary generated since the build failed at the linking stage due to missing of libtinfo.

You just hate me don't you? There are more Linux distros out there than just the Ubuntu/Debian family. Only them has libtinfo as I know, the others only have libncurses.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Oh man..you put yourself in a lot of trouble trying to use FB on linux.
Well as i say in my topic i will try with good old Puppy Linux..
also i can just cross my fingers and hope that will work .
good luck
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

I solved the problem. Such situation is when the bootstrap archive shines. After make bootstrap I have a fbc doesn't ask for libtinfo anymore and links with libncursesw. The only problem is it seems this fbc can't see the inc directory. I have to add -i in order to have it able to find include files.
caseih

Post by caseih »

What distro is this? Ubuntu has the libtinfo5 package. Fedora also has ncurses-compat-libs. I don't know of any distro that doesn't have libtinfo, since it's actually a part of the greater ncurses libraries. Also be sure to install the development packages for ncurses.
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

caseih wrote:What distro is this? Ubuntu has the libtinfo5 package. Fedora also has ncurses-compat-libs. I don't know of any distro that doesn't have libtinfo, since it's actually a part of the greater ncurses libraries. Also be sure to install the development packages for ncurses.
There is no such thing to install.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Which distro?
hungnguyengia

Post by hungnguyengia »

caseih wrote:Which distro?
Based on Slackware. This also works: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175568815/
caseih

Post by caseih »

Somehow slackware just compiles ncurses differently than all the other distros. Looks like the symbols from libtinfo.so are actually in libncurses.so.5 (or 6). So you can symlink the libncurses.so.5 or 6 library to libtinfo.so.5 and it will work fine. See https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175568815/