FreeBASIC (very) experimental snap packages

Linux specific questions.
Landeel

FreeBASIC (very) experimental snap packages

Postby Landeel » Apr 10, 2020 4:55

* 11 Apr 2020

My experimental snap package of the FreeBASIC Compiler is updated.

I have removed some unused stuff and reduced the list of dependencies. The snap is much smaller now.

I have everything I need to compile my games. If something needed to compile your projects is missing, please tell me.

I have renamed it to simply 'fbc', so the executable will be '/snap/bin/fbc'.

It's x86_64 Linux only. First I had in mind cross compiling to x86 Linux, win32, win64, but it's pretty complicated, and increases a lot the size of the snap file.

Cross-compiling for win32 and win64 on *ubuntu 20.04 with regular fbc is not a problem, since it has nothing to do with GLIBC.

I'll try to make a separate 'fbc32' snap, to compile for x86 Linux. *EDIT: Did it already.

DOWNLOAD: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freebasic-snap/

------------------------------

* 10 Apr 2020

I have made an experimental snap package of FreeBASIC.

The reason I did this is because I want to migrate to Lubuntu 20.04, but I still need to compile programs that run on older distros.

Currently binaries compiled with standard fbc on *ubuntu 20.04, won't run on 18.04 or older because of the GLIBC version.

Binaries compiled with this snap ran on both 18.04 and 20.04.

If you want to test it, download the .snap file and install it with 'snap install --devmode --dangerous freebasic_1.07.1_amd64.snap'.

For some reason the fbc executable is named 'freebasic.fbc' instead of just 'fbc'. I couldn't figure out why.

I'm uploading right now, it will be up soon.

PS: Excuse me for the rushed build and SourceForge page. It's 2 a.m and I need some sleep. I will try to improve it tomorrow.
Last edited by Landeel on Apr 11, 2020 20:32, edited 6 times in total.
Landeel

Re: FreeBASIC (very) experimental snap package

Postby Landeel » Apr 11, 2020 15:55

Updated.

Return to “Linux”