I have been programing with freebasic for a while as a hobbie
But I would like to use fbedit
I like the black back ground.

roncando
Tyr_Anassazi

Re: Hi can we get fbedit in linux

Postby Tyr_Anassazi » Feb 01, 2015 7:45

Hi, roncando. Image

Did you try Geany? It's cross-platform and I use it in Linux without any troubles.
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 01, 2015 9:21

Hi roncando, welcome to the forum.

When you try Geany, there's a file called filetypes.freebasic containing stuff like

[styling]
    # foreground;background;bold;italic
    default=0x000000;0xffffff;false;false;
which sets the foreground color to 0x000000 (=black) and the background color to 0xffffff (=white) for default style.

Interchanging these values will produce white letters on black background. There are more colors to be defined, used for the different states of the syntax highlighter.

BR
roncando

Postby roncando » Feb 04, 2015 1:06

Hi
Thank you
I have been using geany

roncando
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 04, 2015 7:59

roncando wrote:I have been using geany

So why are you asking for fbedit? What feature do you miss in Geany?
St_W

Postby St_W » Feb 04, 2015 10:26

TJF wrote:
roncando wrote:I have been using geany

So why are you asking for fbedit? What feature do you miss in Geany?

I guess you never used FBedit or any modern IDE, otherwise you should be familiar with features like (context aware) code completion, function browsers, context sensitive help tooltips, integrated tools like gui-designers, ... just try Visual Studio, Eclipse or IntelliJ and you'll see what you miss when using Geany.
Of course one can create programs using Geany, but it's like using 20 year old programming environment without many of today's standard features.
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 04, 2015 13:38

St_W wrote:I guess you never used FBedit or any modern IDE, otherwise you should be familiar with features like (context aware) code completion, function browsers, context sensitive help tooltips, integrated tools like gui-designers, ... just try Visual Studio, Eclipse or IntelliJ and you'll see what you miss when using Geany.
Of course one can create programs using Geany, but it's like using 20 year old programming environment without many of today's standard features.

Your guess is right: I tried to use FBedit, but I never used it because it's insufficient.

What do you know about Geany? It has all those standard features. And they can get customized.

And Geany has a feature called 'custom command', which is missing in all the other IDEs. I use custom commands for FBeauty, fb-doc and h_2_bi. I use them a hundred times every day. How can you integrate those important tools in the IDEs you mentioned?

So when I use Geany to compile a simple program or manage a complex project, I feel like being 2 years ahead.
St_W

Postby St_W » Feb 04, 2015 19:10

TJF wrote:
St_W wrote:I guess you never used FBedit or any modern IDE, otherwise you should be familiar with features like (context aware) code completion, function browsers, context sensitive help tooltips, integrated tools like gui-designers, ... just try Visual Studio, Eclipse or IntelliJ and you'll see what you miss when using Geany.

Your guess is right: I tried to use FBedit, but I never used it because it's insufficient.

What do you know about Geany? It has all those standard features. And they can get customized.

And Geany has a feature called 'custom command', which is missing in all the other IDEs. I use custom commands for FBeauty, fb-doc and h_2_bi. I use them a hundred times every day. How can you integrate those important tools in the IDEs you mentioned?

So when I use Geany to compile a simple program or manage a complex project, I feel like being 2 years ahead.

I haven't used Geany for quite a while, but I think I know the basics. The time I used it, it didn't support context sensitive code completion (e.g. suggesting the member fields for a UDT after you've typed the dot/arrow) or help tooltips (e.g. showing help for GTK functions and their parameters as soon as you enter them).
I don't really know what you mean by custom commands, never used them. Features like a code beautifier should be part of a modern IDE.

I wouldn't consider FBedit a modern IDE, but it has at least some features that go beyond a plain text editor (like notepad++) or a generic IDE (like Geany).
TJF

Postby TJF » Feb 04, 2015 20:25

St_W wrote:Features like a code beautifier should be part of a modern IDE.

Yes, but it's important that I can decide when and where the beautifier works.

I use beautifying to keep track of the code state. Raw code is as-typed, keywords in lower case characters. When the code is tested and finished, I beautify it. In the same procedure, some code may be tested and beautified, the rest may be not.

St_W wrote:I don't really know what you mean by custom commands, never used them.

Geany can send (pipe) the selection (code block) to an external program. This program can manipulate the block and send it back. Geany replaces the original block by the programs output. All triggered by a single keystroke. You can generate any filter that way. I use it ie. to beautify just the selected code block, auto-translate C source to FB (h_2_bi) or the other direction (fb-doc), create documentational comment block templates (fb-doc), ...

Geany may look like a simple text editor in standard configuration. Once you configured it (and extended by plugins, lua scripts or custom commands), it gets a powerful and lightweight IDE.
caseih

Postby caseih » Feb 05, 2015 1:05

But the most important features of any IDE or text editor is the syntax color scheme (Desert color scheme is the correct answer) and the font! ;) I've tried many color schemes over the years, but Desert is what I keep coming back to. I don't use Geany, but here's a color file for it:

https://github.com/mattux/geany-csx/blo ... -like.conf

I am also very old school and I absolutely love the crispness of the classic IBM PC font from back in the DOS days. A bit off topic, but perhaps some of you would like it also:

http://laemeur.sdf.org/fonts/

I tend to use less perfect because the spacing is a bit better on modern displays. I believe 16 pts gives you a pixel-perfect copy of the original font, which on my display is a nice size of font as well.
roncando

Postby roncando » Feb 08, 2015 1:33

Hi
I'm back again
I have played with colors in geany
With the filetypes.freebasic file and stuffed them all up.
Lucky I save the defaults.
When I could have used the any key to change them
In edit perferences / editor / invert syntax hightlighting colors
Tick the box.
It reverses the colors to white with black background

roncando.

l

Return to “Linux”