Freebasic on Arch 64bit

Linux specific questions.
onewarmslime

Freebasic on Arch 64bit

Post by onewarmslime »

Any thoughts of a version for arch linux x86_64? The graphical functions as well as all the other libraries are still unusuable on this distro.
dkl
Site Admin

Re: Freebasic on Arch 64bit

Post by dkl »

Why are the FB libraries unusable? Do you mean it's because they're 32bit? (does Arch not support running 32bit programs on 64bit?)

64bit support is in the works in the development version of FB, it's finished in fact except for some remaining fine-tuning, so that will help if being 32bit is the issue.
onewarmslime

Post by onewarmslime »

Hi. I can compile "text-based" programs just fine. Whenever I try to do something that has anything to do with graphics (like setting any screen mode) I get a compile error (usually "cannot find lXpm library"). I have all the dependencies (I've tripled checked, even uninstalled and reinstalled them). After checking out the internet about this I found that only Ubuntu 64-bit users have been able to compile freebasic programs perfectly - everyone else has either not been able to compile some programs (like me) or not been able to use freebasic at all. You can run 32bit programs on Arch64 but I think some libraries are incompatible? Idk for sure but thanks for the answer
onewarmslime

Post by onewarmslime »

I know. I've installed the first through the official repository and I even installed the second one manually at one point. Neither worked.
TJF

Post by TJF »

The linker needs the import library. It's in the libXpm-dev package.
dkl
Site Admin

Post by dkl »

I just installed Arch x86_64 in VirtualBox and indeed it seems like there is no 32bit libxpm (lib32-libxpm) available in the official Arch repositories for x86_64 systems.

(There is a libxpm package for i686 systems of course but that one would probably conflict with the 64bit libxpm, hence why the multilib lib32-libxpm is needed for installation in parallel with the 64bit version)

However, I was able to get the lib32-libxpm from AUR with the help of this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 8#p1209208

those 3 commands build and install a custom lib32-libxpm.

Things I had to do first:
- Enable multilib repository in /etc/pacman.conf
- Update with pacman -Sy
- Install multilib packages:
# pacman -S lib32-glibc lib32-ncurses multilib-devel lib32-libx11 lib32-libxext lib32-libxrandr lib32-libxrender
- Note especially the multilib-devel package, which pulls in multilib versions of gcc, binutils, etc. that replace the normal gcc/binutils packages (the installer asks whether to remove the normal gcc/binutils packages, and I confirmed)
- I had to add my user to sudoers file to allow makepkg to work

Now, after all that, compiling and running 32bit FB graphics programs on x86_64 works ok.
onewarmslime

Post by onewarmslime »

Hmm this looks like it could work. I'll try it when I get back home but if it worked for you it'll probably work for me as well :D
onewarmslime

Post by onewarmslime »

Yep this works. THanks