Is mandriva linux distrib good for FB?

Linux specific questions.
elsairon

Is mandriva linux distrib good for FB?

Post by elsairon »

A friend of mine recommended the Mandriva linux dristribution. I have an old pentium 2 box I might use for this to compile and test my FB sources on.

Any suggestions or things I should look out for? (I have not installed or used any linux before)

Is there a better/best distro to use for FB?
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

I use Debian on all my machines, but nearly any distro will run just fine on that machine depending on how much RAM you have. I reccomend at least 256MB to run a major Desktop Environment like GNOME or KDE. If you're stuck with less than that XFCE is pretty nice. All of them should be available through whatever distro you choose's package manager.
tinycla

Re: Is mandriva linux distrib good for FB?

Post by tinycla »

elsairon wrote:A friend of mine recommended the Mandriva linux dristribution. I have an old pentium 2 box I might use for this to compile and test my FB sources on.

Any suggestions or things I should look out for? (I have not installed or used any linux before)

Is there a better/best distro to use for FB?
I've been using Mandrake/Mandriva since 2002 on my home desktop computer and I've never had problem compiling and using FB. I use SVN for updating nearly daily to last release, and all works perfectly. The most important (and difficult) thing is to install all development libraries required by FB (and there is a great number).
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

The ram is pretty slim, I don't recall off hand. I'll try this mandriva with xfce after the holidays and see what happens.

Thanks sir_mud and tinycla for the pointers :)
sir_mud

Post by sir_mud »

there isn't really a lot of development libraries to install unless you work with external libraries, either way they are simple to install on any distro.
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

Mandriva requires more resources than are available on the rig I have for linux, so I'm going to try zenwalk.
E.K.Virtanen

Post by E.K.Virtanen »

Mandriva is one of the most "hardest" distros around. If i were you, i would try Damn Small Linux or Puppy. Also Xubuntu would be good alternative. Depends how much you have ram to use in your computer.

As told earlier, KDE and Gnome needs atleast 256 megs of ram. They work with less, but it is a pain in the ass. Xfce is your best shot here i think.
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

E.K.Virtanen wrote:If i were you, i would try Damn Small Linux or Puppy. Also Xubuntu would be good alternative.
Thanks, I'll take a look at these.