error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Linux specific questions.
pjaramillo

error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by pjaramillo »

I am using Ubuntu-Mate 21.10, installed FBC but I get this error when running it.
> fbc: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks

pjaramillo
fxm

Re: error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by fxm »

Perhaps look at Installing, paragraph "Compiling under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 64-bit".
Munair

Re: error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by Munair »

I had the exact same error on Manjaro, which I reported here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29432&start=180#p288596.

In my case, this is because Manjaro currently has libtinfo.so.6.
caseih

Post by caseih »

The canonical (no pun intended) solution for Ubuntu is to install the missing library. The distro package you are looking for is libncurses5 (and maybe also you might need libncurses5-devel). This can be installed along side the version 6 that Ubuntu installs by default. You can install them via apt on the terminal, or using the package manager GUI program.
Munair

Post by Munair »

Garfield wrote: Feb 01, 2022 6:51 The PKGBUILD provided by the package (right now) is broken. The maintainer has been provided a working PKGBUILD but just hasn't updated the package yet for some reason. I used the linked PKGBUILD to manually build from source and it worked. I
What OS (distro) are you referring to?

I used PKGBUILD for Manjaro and successfully compiled and installed fbc on Arch-based distro's. The dependency for this build is the latest ncurses, not ncurses5. For installation instructions, see viewtopic.php?p=289357#p289357

In case you wish to build the package yourself, here is the PKGBUILD I use.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Same problem when Freebasic 1.09 loaded into Fedora 35.