Missing lib(s) on Ubuntu install (resolved)

Linux specific questions.
Alex

Missing lib(s) on Ubuntu install (resolved)

Postby Alex » Oct 04, 2019 5:20

Why is it so hard to create an installer that just does what is needed, but all of what is needed? I am using Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo. I followed the instructions in the readme file. That was disappointing. Then I searched the internet and found lots of advice that was written in a "you should know everything I'm talking about already so I'm going to explain nothing about the arcane linux install tools" way. Found several threads here that mention Ubuntu (like the Linux Mint 19 thread) and some that linked from those (the .deb package threads). Tried all the instructions in each one of these threads; none worked.

My problem: When I type fbc in my terminal it tells me "fbc: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

The install seems to happen since I get fbc in /usr/local/bin/fbc and the dependent library installs with apt-get seem to have happened since I got lots of messages, none of them errors. I googled for this library and there is very little but it all says this is just some defines and was subsumed into libncurses5. The recommendations were to link <specific libtinfo file> to <specific libncurses5 file> but of course I find no files with libtinfo* or libncurses* in their name in the recommended location.

Please, can anybody help?
Last edited by Alex on Oct 05, 2019 5:45, edited 1 time in total.
badidea

Re: Missing lib(s) on Ubuntu install

Postby badidea » Oct 04, 2019 8:07

Did you try:
sudo apt-get install libtinfo5

Else have a look that this discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27889&p=264667&hilit=libtinfo#p264667
Alex

Re: Missing lib(s) on Ubuntu install

Postby Alex » Oct 05, 2019 5:43

That worked. Which you might think is obvious but every other post on the subject doesn't mention doing that. Instead they go on about how the lib is unnecessary and to hack things with links and try installing different stuff.

Return to “Linux”