Compiler bug?

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Macq

Compiler bug?

Post by Macq »

I'm using the compiler from FreeBASIC-1.08.0-winlibs-gcc-9.3.0.7z

Code: Select all

' When compiled to 32bit code, this prints "64 bit all ones: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
' When compiled to 64bit code, this prints "64 bit all ones: FFFFFFFF", as it should.

dim as ulongint N
'N = -1          ' Always FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
N = &HFFFFFFFF ' My coding mistake which tickled the bug
print "64 bit all ones: "; hex(N)

fxm

Re: Compiler bug?

Post by fxm »

The type of integer literals is considered by default (when literal suffix not given) as INTEGER (32 or 64 bits, depending on compiler). For the 32-bit compiler only, if the literal value size requires a greater field size, LONGINT type is then considered by default.

For the 32-bit compiler:
  • - '&hFFFFFFFF' is considered as an INTEGER 32-bit, thus corresponding to '-1'.
    - To force the ULONGINT type for such a literal value, you must explicit the type by adding a suffix to the literal value ('ull'): '&hFFFFFFFFull'
    • (note: '&hFFFFFFFFu' or '&hFFFFFFFFul' also works, by forcing the UINTEGER or ULONG type to the literal value)
Macq

Post by Macq »

Hmm.

Thanks for the reply. I still think it's a bug. Surely, if a programmer is not trying to be tricky, he should get the same result regardless of the target architecture? The 32bit compiler knows that the variable is a 64bit unsigned integer, so filling in all the spare bits with ones seems a bit crazy to me.
fxm

Post by fxm »

This is because for an integer literal value expressed in hexadecimal notation, there may be an ambiguity between a positive value and a negative value.
This is never the case for an integer literal value expressed in decimal notation, because the sign is always explicit:

Code: Select all

' When compiled to 32bit code, this prints "64 bit all ones: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF"
' When compiled to 64bit code, this prints "64 bit all ones: FFFFFFFF", as it should.

dim as ulongint N
'N = -1          ' Always FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
N = &HFFFFFFFF ' My coding mistake which tickled the bug
N = 4294967295  '' or N = &H100000000 - 1