Timing/Framerate anomalies...

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Dr_D

Timing/Framerate anomalies...

Postby Dr_D » Mar 20, 2019 21:38

Since there has been a new FB release, I've been messing around with my old kart demo a bit. I'm noticing some odd timing stuff. I remember a while back we had issues with Timer... needed to use Double, etc... I've done that, but I'm still getting choppy/inconsistent frames. I was just kinda wondering if anyone has any bits of information, something you may have discovered to alleviate the problem? My PC is a bit dated, so that could be an issue as well. I'm just testing... it used to be so smooth. It's pretty choppy now. Thanks for any advice.
paul doe

Re: Timing/Framerate anomalies...

Postby paul doe » Mar 20, 2019 22:03

You may want to take a look at this (it was a real eye-opener for me):

The elusive frame timing

Depending on how you implemented your game loop, it can be a major pain in the rear. I noticed this too with the metaballs demo (which compares two different loop designs on a totally render-bound app).

Oddly enough, the laptop where I coded that demo ran it smooth as silk. On this craptop (with an Intel HD GPU), it stutters a lot (even when the demo is using purely software rendering), and when implementing the GL rendering backend for my entry on Lachie's compo, I also noticed that the display slows down (and that with a modest number of polys on screen), even though the framerates don't report any changes (!!). So, the issue may be caused either by stalling the GPU pipeline (which can be -somewhat- easily solved by batching the render calls), or because the GPU's fillrate is utter crap -most likely the case with my card. Unfortunately, this is something one can't do a damn thing about except, well, getting a better card =D

Other issues may be at play here. I also noticed that there are slight differences between fbc 1.05.0 and the 'unofficial' 1.06.0 (didn't tried the new, official release yet, so I can't comment on it).
Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » Mar 20, 2019 22:47

Yeah... It must be my card or priority setting that I missed or something. It makes me want to go back to DOS. lol
paul doe

Postby paul doe » Mar 21, 2019 2:06

Dr_D wrote:... It makes me want to go back to DOS. lol

Nah, it's not that bad =D

Another interesting thing to consider: last night, my IP crapped out (again). I noticed because I was running some code and, suddenly, the frame rate more than doubled from one frame to the next (the main app loop was unbounded)...
Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » Mar 22, 2019 20:21

paul doe wrote:
Dr_D wrote:... It makes me want to go back to DOS. lol

Nah, it's not that bad =D

Another interesting thing to consider: last night, my IP crapped out (again). I noticed because I was running some code and, suddenly, the frame rate more than doubled from one frame to the next (the main app loop was unbounded)...

Hmm... weird.

Return to “General”