Graphics question.

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
speedfixer

Re: Graphics question.

Post by speedfixer »

You may need to allocate a little more memory to the graphics card (in bios.)

Also, the crash on exit can be many things. I have fought it many times.

There are several AMD drivers for linux, not all are equal.
It would take some debugging to check for the problem in your case.

Changing in and out of full screen in Linux with FB is not a nice thing to do. A lot of things have to happen.
Remember, essentially, the app is run from a console session of a particular size. When you change resolution, everyone has to get notice.
App, console, desktop. It definitly isn't perfect. Xwindows is ancient and not designed with this is mind.

David
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24337&start=15

dkl did more work on threads since that time and it is better than it was, but his mention of some of the mechanics is noteworthy.

David
Achaean

Post by Achaean »

speedfixer wrote:You may need to allocate a little more memory to the graphics card (in bios.)

Nope! Allocating more memory, doesn't changes anything.
speedfixer wrote: Also, the crash on exit can be many things. I have fought it many times.
Indeed! Game (or graphics) development in Linux, is puzzling to say the least!
speedfixer wrote: There are several AMD drivers for linux, not all are equal.
I have the official driver installed. As soon as I move to a more up to date version, I'll move to open source one (since the official is dead on the water).
speedfixer wrote: It would take some debugging to check for the problem in your case.

Changing in and out of full screen in Linux with FB is not a nice thing to do. A lot of things have to happen.
Remember, essentially, the app is run from a console session of a particular size. When you change resolution, everyone has to get notice.
App, console, desktop. It definitly isn't perfect.
Even avoiding Alt-Enter, I still get crashes on exit.
speedfixer wrote: Xwindows is ancient and not designed with this is mind.

David
That's why I tried to get rid of X-Windows and move to some of the rest backends, I but I wasn't able to do it. X11 seems to be the only one available here! :-)