problem during recompilation of FBC (DOS)

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
mjs
Site Admin

problem during recompilation of FBC (DOS)

Post by mjs »

Hi,

I was able to recompile FBC for DOS (after many strange problems - but this was some mis-configuration in my DJGPP tool chain).

The problem exists when you execute the following steps:
  1. Install the FBC (DOS) executable + libraries into the development path
  2. Recompile FBC
  3. Recompile the RTL
  4. Copy FBC_NEW.EXE to FBC.EXE
  5. Recompile FBC
When you try to compile an application, you'll see that FBC_NEW.EXE will always show the arguments because fb_argc and fb_argv don't get set by the startup-code (fbcentry.s).

Just wanted to let you know ...

Regards,
Mark
DrV
Site Admin

Post by DrV »

I couldn't reproduce the problem; I built FBC (DOS) with the latest win32 CVS version and then built FBC DOS again with the just-built DOS compiler; the resulting build worked fine. Make sure that you set the OS environment variable to DOS if you're building with the DOS compiler, or set the TARGET environment variable to dos if you're cross-compiling with win32 fbc.
mjs
Site Admin

Post by mjs »

DrV wrote:I couldn't reproduce the problem; I built FBC (DOS) with the latest win32 CVS version and then built FBC DOS again with the just-built DOS compiler; the resulting build worked fine. Make sure that you set the OS environment variable to DOS if you're building with the DOS compiler, or set the TARGET environment variable to dos if you're cross-compiling with win32 fbc.
This is what I did. Hmm ... so then tell me please how this could work on your computer when argc and argv aren't stored in the _fb_argc and _fb_argv in the startup code (fbcentry.s)?

Aha, got it: As you said: with the latest win32 CVS version

And I said: Install the FBC (DOS) executable + libraries into the development path

What I meant with that was: Compile the compiler with the FBC DOS version when compiling the compiler the first time.

Regards,
Mark
SotSvart

Post by SotSvart »

That probably wont work, coz the latest dos release is only .13b, and many things has changed in the compiler since then so it needs the latest changes to compile it self. So thats why compiling with the "unstable" win .14b release work..