Would FreeBAISC compile on AROS OS?

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Gablea

Would FreeBAISC compile on AROS OS?

Postby Gablea » Sep 07, 2017 15:30

Hi everyone,

just a quick question that I want to ask. Would FreeBASIC compile a Program to run oneirher the AmigaOS or the open soruce version AROS?

Or is there plans to port FreeBASIC to the AmigaOS?
caseih

Re: Would FreeBAISC compile on AROS OS?

Postby caseih » Sep 07, 2017 16:56

No. The compiler could probably be ported to AmigaOS fairly quickly by someone with porting experience. The runtime library would be the biggest challenge, as parts of it are platform dependent, such as console interaction, sound and graphics. So it's not a simple matter to port. Possible? Yes absolutely. Would take significant time and money.
Gablea

Postby Gablea » Sep 07, 2017 17:30

Oh well as a end programmer (and someone who has never even though of porting something) you do not think of all the hard work that goes on in the background to make things like FreeBASIC so easy to use.

I've always wanted to make a ide like how vb6 was for FreeBASIC but I would not have a clue as how to start or anything :( maybe one day I will figure it out.
caseih

Postby caseih » Sep 07, 2017 19:05

Gambas is about as close to VB6's functionality as any I've seen. IDE with form builder, etc. I haven't looked at it in years, but apparently it's under active development and has recently announced new widgets and capabilities. It's not a compiled language, of course.
MrSwiss

Postby MrSwiss » Sep 08, 2017 11:23

Gablea wrote:I've always wanted to make a ide like how vb6 was for FreeBASIC but I would ...
Well, there is currently work in progress, on a IDE written in FB, taking place "WinFBE",
by Paul Squires, with a integrated Windows-API Framework, by José Roca.
Current release ver. 1.5.3. A good place to "look and see", how an IDE is manufactured
(comes with full source, located at GitHub). Look here, under Projects "WinFBE" thread.

Return to “General”