Can not copy files on DOS

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Gablea

Can not copy files on DOS

Postby Gablea » Feb 03, 2017 14:35

Hi all,

I have a strange thing that I am not sure if it a DOS thing or a FreeBASIC thing. Basically when my application starts up it copies from a mapped
network location about 10 datafiles and this works fine in Windows and Linux but in DOS it displays the error "Can not find file e:\products.dat etc
but if I do a dir command on E: (the drive letter of the network share) i can see all the data files and if I do a xcopy *.* c:\npos\data the files all copy
over with no problem.

SO would this be a issue with the code inside Freebasic or is it a FreeDOS issue? (not tried it yet on normal DOS but that will be my next task)

I hope someone could help me with this (if you need to see my code that I am using to copy the data files just ask and I will post it
adele

Re: Can not copy files on DOS

Postby adele » Feb 03, 2017 16:59

Gablea wrote:...but in DOS it displays the error "Can not find file e:\products.dat" etc

Hallo Gablea,

I have no running DOS machine, not even a VM. So I can`t try it out.

But:The first idea I had was a SUBST , the second idea was using TRUENAME`s information. Maybe (_maybe_) you can address your files with their network names.
The third idea is, that ( do not know how or why ) your FB program has lower rights to access network files than the command.com (or 4dos or whatever).

Good Luck

Adi
Gablea

Postby Gablea » Feb 09, 2017 3:00

I have tried this project on FreeDOS and MS-DOS 6.22 on the 6.22 machine it works perfectly fine but on the FreeDOS this is the one that make
the errors

could this be a problem with FreeDOS or is it my code not detecting FreeDOS as a DOS OS?

Andy
St_W

Postby St_W » Feb 09, 2017 10:39

I guess this problem only occurs when you try to access files on that network share? In that case it's probably some compatibility issue between the network share driver and the file operations implemented in DJGPP's C runtime as FB just uses these (fopen, fwrite, fread, fclose, ..).

Which program to you use to map the network share? Do you use the same on FreeDOS and MS-DOS? Have you tried to use a different one?
Gablea

Postby Gablea » Feb 09, 2017 17:40

I use the Microsoft lan client 3.0 on both.

Maybe the FreeDOS version does not like the
Microsoft app.

According to what I have been reading FreeDOS
Has built in tcp/ip services

Return to “General”