Squares

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
dodicat

Re: Squares

Postby dodicat » Jun 20, 2020 20:47

Grout and tessellations are not mutually exclusive.
When I have time to study my own tiles I keep seeing the flaws of twenty years, but say to myself I would probably make a worse job if I were to re do it again tomorrow
I only really inspect the tile edges, grout thickness and discolouration, so I miss any patterns in the middle.
I have always kept a dog, but my beagle was the one I am most reminded of by the picture, not that I noticed God in it, but he was forever high tailing it into the woods, not to emerge again for hours.
I had given up any sort of recall at an early date.
Thinking back I should have got a tracker drone, but they were in their infancy back then.
We always see faces in things because we are finely tuned to human faces, we have to be able to read faces to determine the degree of danger we are in.
Humans are very tribal, we notice very subtle differences in others, and the face is the focal point.
How on earth we can ever become some sort of global villagers is beyond me.
badidea

Postby badidea » Jun 20, 2020 23:17

dodicat wrote:When I have time to study my own tiles I keep seeing the flaws of twenty years, but say to myself I would probably make a worse job if I were to re do it again tomorrow

If they are still firmly attached to the wall or floor then it wasn't such a bad job.
I don't mind the cutting and placing of the tiles, but the grouting part is terrible.
albert

Postby albert » Jun 24, 2020 20:10

Richard keeps telling me , "The only way to compress data , is to search for patterns"...

But with strings of random characters , there's all 256 chars , and they are all jumbled around randomly , and there are no patterns...

So :
The only way to compress ( random data ) , is to , manipulate the values , so that the manipulation , results in compressible patterns..

=============================================================
The newest version of FB has a problem...
My multiplier source code won't run...
It seems that the coders , made uinteger 64 bits instead of 32 bits..
So i had to rewrite my mul code to use ulong to force it to 32 bits..
=============================================================
badidea

Postby badidea » Jun 24, 2020 21:27

Most people don't like having their data manipulated. A scientist that manipulates data might loose his/her job.
UInteger is 32 or 64 bit depending on 32 or 64 bit version of the compiler.
albert

Postby albert » Jun 24, 2020 21:44

@badidea

That explains it...
I downloaded the 64 bit version of FB.

But integer is supposed to be 32 bits..

byte and ubyte are supposed to be 8 bits
integer and uinteger are supposed to be 32 bits
longint and ulongint are supposed to be 64 bits.

I think the coders need to make the whole thing easier to work with..

s4 , u4 = nibble ( reg AL , AH )
s8 , u8 = byte ( reg AX )
s16 , u16 = short
s32 , u32 = 32 bits
s64 , u64 = 64 bits

Dim as u8 v1 = 255
Dim as u16 v1 = 65535

Alot easier to follow..
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jun 24, 2020 21:46

You can have uinteger in any of four forms.

Code: Select all

dim as uinteger<64> a =-1
print a

dim as uinteger<32> b =-1
print b

dim as uinteger<16> c =-1
print c

dim as uinteger<8> d =-1
print d
sleep

You can re arrange the digits, but you have to keep track of your process so you can reverse it, and that takes space.
(Remember I did the sort string a while back, it compresses like it was sitting on a black hole, but the information to de-sort it blew it up like the Big Bang).
badidea

Postby badidea » Jun 24, 2020 21:52

albert wrote:But integer is supposed to be 32 bits..

Why? Try long and ulong.
albert

Postby albert » Jun 24, 2020 22:21

@Dodicat

That "Black Hole" and "Big Bang" is my problem also.

using > < works
if you always put the lower value first , or always put the lower value always last.. ( compresses 99% )
But the binary string , that tells you where the swaps are , expands the data expotentially..

Richard

Postby Richard » Jun 25, 2020 0:07

albert wrote:Richard keeps telling me , "The only way to compress data , is to search for patterns"...

But with strings of random characters , there's all 256 chars , and they are all jumbled around randomly , and there are no patterns...

So :
The only way to compress ( random data ) , is to , manipulate the values , so that the manipulation , results in compressible patterns..

No. You are making a false assumption.
If the generated random numbers are truly random, then there will be patterns that appear randomly such as runs of repeats. Look for the longest repeated sequence in the data. Look for the pair that is repeated most often.
albert

Postby albert » Jun 25, 2020 0:30

@Richard

Doing 10,000 bytes in , there's aprox 4,800 sets of two bytes..
Doing 1,000,000 bytes in , there's 65,536 sets of two bytes..

At 1,000,000 in , there's no repeats of twin bytes. every byte ( all 256 ) are followed by all 256 bytes...

I tried taking an array of 0 to 255 and stepping by two bytes , and putting the following byte into the array position of the first byte.
All 0 to 255 array elements , reported all 256 bytes as followers..

I didn't account for duplicates in the elements....

So you could go thru the output string ( all the first bytes ) , and if you run into a "1" then you pull the next byte from the "1" element..
It didn't work..
It expanded...
albert

Postby albert » Jun 25, 2020 22:10

I just thought up another website idea....

Instead of going online , and looking for a particular item to add to your cart..

You have a virtual store with all the isles and products on the shelves..
Like a video game , you can cruise the isles , looking at all the items..

It might earn the store extra income , from impulse shoppers...

With the objects on the shelves , you can click on an item , and bring up the info on the item , too see if you want to buy it or not.

The wave of the future!!!! then instead of window shopping at the mall , you can window shop online..
angros47

Postby angros47 » Jun 25, 2020 23:13

It has been already tried several times, in the past, using StreetView for internals, and earlier, using flash animations, or 3dml or vrml sites.

It has never been a winning solution. After all, if you are looking for a specific products, would you prefer to click on it, or to navigate to it in a videogame-like site? And if you want to look for what is available, would you prefer to see it on a virtual shelf, or in a regular menu that also allows to set you filters?
albert

Postby albert » Jun 26, 2020 0:51

@angros47

I think walking down a virtual isle filled with items would be a good idea..

Then you can turn left or right and side step down the isle , to see the products, just like in a real store..
Except the virtual isles , can hold way more products , than a brick & mortar grocery store..

You can go to the isle and section you want , by clicking and on an object on a menu..

So if it's a grocery store and you want to see the soup isle , you can click on the ( soup isle ) on the menu , and be transported to that isle..
Then you can side step down the isle , and see all the soups available... and read the labels by clicking on the item..
Then you can select the soup or soups , you want to buy...And add them to your cart..

Then the store ships them to you...By Fed-Ex , UPS or Mail delivery...

Photographing the labels for view , would be a big undertaking...
albert

Postby albert » Jun 26, 2020 3:03

angros47 , thought me to look for duplicates , in my compression formulas...

I spent 10 hours today working on formulas , some 50 or so different formulas , and nothing compressed..

So far , I've tried several thousand different formulas , over the last two years..
I've only posted the ones that compressed.. But sadly , none of them could be decompressed..
Coding errors and output duplicates , made decompression impossible..

I figure there's a way , i just haven't thought of it yet..
I'm trying to figure out how the aliens , compress data..
I know they have computers , and must be doing compression on their computers..
But , how do they do it???
Richard

Postby Richard » Jun 26, 2020 4:43

albert wrote:I think walking down a virtual isle filled with items would be a good idea..
I imagine a virtual store, with only three aisles of quite different lengths.

Aisle 1. Lossless compressors that return everything intact, for use on exact data and executable code. It is a very short aisle, displaying a few expensive premium compressors.

Aisle 2. Lossy compressors, that look OK for pictures, and sound OK for audio. A longer aisle with many give away samplers.

Aisle 3. Unreliable compressors, the longest aisle and most are free. It includes hardware like “write only memory”, fake cache, and the original Diskdoubler card for the PC. If you wander down that aisle for long enough you get to the emergency exit door, if you open it you will find someone that looks a bit like Albert, stuck in a tar-pit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Brea_T ... _and_fauna

Return to “General”