Weird console text height issue in WinXp/98

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
cenozoite

Weird console text height issue in WinXp/98

Postby cenozoite » Aug 22, 2005 22:19

When I used to run QB (or anything that produced a dos-like console) in 80x25 mode under Win98, the console/screen actually went to that proportion, so that 25 lines of text would fill the screen from top to bottom, and 80 characters across was any many as could fit on the physical screen.

But now in XP, the text in consoles is half as tall as it used to be, and a lot smaller/harder to see. Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can possibly get back to having the console use true 80x25 mode as opposed to the one it uses now? I've tried manually setting the screen mode to use 80x25, but it doesn't matter. It seems that about 50 lines of text fit on the screen instead of the specified 25.
Tio Bit

Postby Tio Bit » Aug 22, 2005 22:52

Create a direct access to console window from the Start menu using right button (Create...), cut and paste that icon over desktop use right click, choose Design Page and specify a 80 x 25 text window.

Next time u press that icon u will get a traditional, old , good 80 x 25 console text window.

Tio Bit
cenozoite

Postby cenozoite » Aug 22, 2005 23:22

Sorry, forgive my ignorance here.. I want to try this technique but am a tiny bit lost. Where do I find this "Create..." option? and "Design page"? Is this somewhere within WinXP or from within a FB editor? My Start button from WinXP doesn't give me a "create" option when I right click, and right-clicking on the desktop doesn't give me a "design page" option.

I'm sure I'm just looking in the wrong place.
Tio Bit

Postby Tio Bit » Aug 23, 2005 1:42

The problem is I have no a WinXP English Edition at hand and not giving to you the exact name options. While the Start menu is active, u press right click and there popups a contextual menu, there must be an option like Create a direct link or something like that; I create a direct link when the pointer is over the console system option, then i go to the created direct link (it appears on the same menu), and cut it and paste it over the desktop; When u do that an Icon representing the direct link is created (on desktop). If u right click that Icon, u must choose the propierties option and on the form that popups, select the Design page and on that page u can set the heigth and widht of the console screen. I'am not native english and probably don't explaing very well to you but the basic idea is to create a direct access to the console window and set the propierties of that access to 80 x 25 text window.

Tio Bit
VirusScanner

Postby VirusScanner » Aug 23, 2005 2:52

I think that's called a shortcut on English edition.
dumbledore

Postby dumbledore » Aug 23, 2005 3:33

you can achieve the same thing by running %WINDIR%/_DEFAULT (you will see an error message, ignore it, don't click on ok though), then right-clicking the console's title bar, and under layout change the settings to 80 and 25, hit ok, then close it. ;)

Return to “Beginners”