Recommendations on posting code

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
space_m

Recommendations on posting code

Post by space_m »

Hi, I am new to this FreeBasic forum, so I have a rather basic question. Generally relating to what this forum is for.

Does this forum support posting of code written? I.e. does it support work as a source code repository. I'm not talking code snippets, but the actually complete or incomplete project itself. (More questions on that later!) My thinking is that people generally want to look at finished or 'close to finished' projects.

I'm working on a few FB game concepts, probably fairly simple at this point. I could have posted to the game development subgroup, but I felt this is still a general question at this point. Please let me know if I need to direct my question elsewhere.

Thanks!
MrSwiss

Re: Recommendations on posting code

Post by MrSwiss »

Hi space_m, welcome to the forum.

generally speaking, it is advised, to use a code repository (sourceforge, github, or similar,
as a repository) but, you could also try the Projects-Section (downside: no version control
mechanism, as on above mentioned repositories).

You could also do it, using both:
discussion in Projects and, code (linked) in a repo.
space_m

Post by space_m »

Thank you for the reply, and sorry for the late response. I have looked into both source repositories mentioned, and am thinking neither would be worthwhile at this point for me. Partly because my development has been slower than expected, and putting online now would just slow me down even further. Not sure that responding to change requests or dealing with branches would help me at this point.

That said, I still would like to post demo pictures of what I've done so far. Is there a way to link to my own project page to do that? What site is required? Or link to the Projects-Section mentioned below? Any suggestions would be helpful.

My project I'm working on is called MUCS -- which stands for Mostly Universal Combat Simulator. It is a turn-based strategy game similar to Age of Empires, Civilization, Total War, etc. Mostly-universal refers to the ability to pick factions at will -- so if you want to play as the Statesmen faction fighting Orcs, Zombies, Aliens, and Cyborgs, go right ahead! Or if you prefer to be the Zombies fighting humanity, you can do that too. The name is not written in stone -- right now I just needed a simple name. Combat is configurable based on customizable units, still fairly simple now. Factions tend to be identically made, but in the future may add faction-specific units.

The project right now has a zoomable grid display, and zoomable map display, and is generating the terrain and starting units. Graphics are simple only because I know close to little on 3D rendering. I'm hoping to have a working game by end of summer.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Good luck! :-)
space_m

Post by space_m »

Thanks! I probably won't have anything fancy, but I don't care at this point. If I can have a simple working game I'd be happy. I could always go back and fill in a simple story line later. Maybe make it a Game of Thrones knock-off. (I'm throwing out many copyrighted names here :0)>