Copy FB .csv file to Base table

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
dasyar

Copy FB .csv file to Base table

Post by dasyar »

I am trying to figure out if I can eliminate some steps. Right now what I am doing is creating a .csv file with my FB program, then I open up the .csv file with LibreOffice Calc. From there I highlight the data and copy that to an opened LibreOffice Base table, that I have set up.

I tried just doing a cut and paste of the .csv data and tried to paste it into the Base table, it would not except that. So there must something that the Calc program is doing to make the paste acceptable in the Base program. But I am not sure what that is. The Calc program has no problem with the .csv file, but the Base program does.

Is there some kind of special preparation that should be done with the FB .csv file to make it acceptable for the Base table?

Thanks
jevans4949

Re: Copy FB .csv file to Base table

Post by jevans4949 »

Don't know if it helps, but you can covert a whole .csv file into a new LIbre-Office table. From the Libre-Office Menu bar select File/New/Database; on the popup screen, select the 3rd button - "Connect to existing database, and select "Spreadsheet" from the menu box below it.

But there doesn't seem to be a thing to merge data in from another file.

Never used it myself, but it's there.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Have you tried copying a tab-delimited text instead?

P.S.: There is a csv test file attached to this post.
dasyar

Post by dasyar »

Thanks for the responses. I have switched gears and started to use mysql and Workbench GUI. The LibreOffice Base was starting to get quite sluggish as the database was growing in size.

With mysql it takes a couple of command line commands to get the .csv file loaded into the specific table, but it seems to be working much better than Base. Hopefully as I get more acquainted with the mysql innards, maybe I will be able to have FB load the .csv file, using the mysql commands.

The mysql Wokbench GUI still allows me easy access to use the queries functionality, and then take the generated data which I load into LibreOffice Calc, for further data manipulation.

Thanks