New demo available here:
- Bug fixes in monster movement and map display code
- Better handling of the "unconscious player" situation
- Locked doors, and the ability to lockpick them or smash them
- Player gets thirsty. (but can't drink yet, so you will die of thirst if you explore long enough. Obviously this will be fixed)
- Differential movement & attack rates between player and monsters. (uses a random check against the ratio of player speed factor to monster speed factor) As with most things in ARLG, player and monster performance degrades when injured.
- Monsters now have "personality", see below.
In addition to the Strength, Agility, and Health stats that are shared by both the player and monster monsters have 3 additional stats that determine how they will respond to the player. These are: "Fear radius", "Aggression radius", and "Self preservation factor".
In the current demo these are used to generate 3 different forms of monster. They all have the same Strength, Agility, and Health, but changes in the other stats produce different behavior modes.
One type is timid, they will always seek to avoid the player, and will not attack first
Another type will avoid the player if possible, but will become aggressive if the player gets too close or if they have been wounded. If seriously injured they will attempt to retreat.
Finally there is a "nasty" form. It will always seek to close with and attack the player. It will fight to the death. If the player manages to outrun it and get out of it's field of view it will resort to "scent based" tracking to hunt the player down.
(By default the player leaves a scent trail on tiles they have recently occupied.)
There are 4 of these generated on each level of the demo, beware!