how do I compile FreeBASIC under SuSE 11.1?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
santiago

how do I compile FreeBASIC under SuSE 11.1?

Postby santiago » Sep 20, 2009 19:56

I tried a search on this subject, and got nowhere. I've tried installing the regular and standalone Linux versions. Both tell me there is a problem with ospeed.

When I try to compile Hello.bas, I get the message "Symbol 'ospeed' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking"

When I download and look and at the source files, they're in a little different format than I'm accustomed to seeing for source files. I'm guessing I need both the libfb and the fbc sources.

When I look inside these, I find multiple directories. Does each directory need to be compiled separately? What commands should be used?
Sisophon2001

Postby Sisophon2001 » Sep 21, 2009 10:43

First of all do not worry about the warning "Symbol 'ospeed' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking". You get this because FB was compiled on a Debian based system, but it makes no difference to the compiler.

FB is a complex program, and the runtime libraries are written in C. To compile the compiler and the runtime libraries follow these instructions.

http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=SVNLinux

Garvan
santiago

Postby santiago » Sep 21, 2009 13:51

Thanks for your reply.

I should probably have mentioned that, when I tried to compile the sample program, "Hello.bas," I got the same error message. When I tried to run the compiled program, I got the message, and absolutely no output. I tried this on both the standalone and non-standalone versions.

Bogus error messages I can tolerate to a point. No output, however, I can't.
Sisophon2001

Postby Sisophon2001 » Sep 22, 2009 13:29

This is likely an unrelated problem. I think FB has four examples called hello.bas? Which one did you try? Can you compile a simple program like;

Code: Select all

print "Hello FB"

Garvan
santiago

Postby santiago » Sep 22, 2009 14:37

I tried typing in your simpler version of the program, and got the same results. I'm beginning to think the problem may be in the way I try to run the executable. I've navigated to the path where the executable is located (/usr/local/share/freebasic/examples/misc) and tried typing the name of the executable, eg:

#:hello

and

#:hello.exe

I even tried run hello, and run hello.exe

I also tried clicking on the icon for the file hello.exe. I suspect I'm doing something wrong here. What?
santiago

Postby santiago » Sep 22, 2009 16:26

I may have stumbled onto the problem. Although I'm executing other programs that are on the desktop, it occurred to me that it might not be finding the path to hello. I tried moving both the initial version and the version I created this morning to /usr/local/bin. They execute there.

Thanks for the help! I suspect I've just uncovered the first of a long string of challenges in getting where I'm headed.
voodooattack

Postby voodooattack » Sep 22, 2009 19:01

If you still want to be able to launch your programs from the examples folder, open a console window, then sudo and type:
chmod -R 751 <PATH_TO_EXAMPLES_FOLDER>

This will set the folder and it's children's permissions to be executable by the owner (you) and the group of the owner, this should allow you to launch applications directly instead of copying them to /usr/local/bin (where execution is already allowed).

You can read more about the command here:
http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html

Return to “Beginners”