Why OOP?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Theunis Jansen

Re: Why OOP?

Postby Theunis Jansen » Dec 31, 2011 13:56

Marcov
What has happened to you ?
Your language use is no longer the same as of old. It now borders on insults.

Never mind my question about the TIMER anomaly it belongs on another post so this is "Fin".
marcov

Postby marcov » Dec 31, 2011 15:36

Theunis Jansen wrote:Marcov
What has happened to you ?
Your language use is no longer the same as of old. It now borders on insults.

It wasn't meant to, but weariness of having the same discussion for about 20 years might occasionally seep through and give that impression.
MichaelW

Postby MichaelW » Dec 31, 2011 16:20

Theunis Jansen wrote:This has become quite interesting.
But I think so far everyone has actually missed the point which is that TIMER
is the culprit in the benchmark.
If you were to run the GOTO separately a number of times it will give different execution times and the same goes for the DO LOOP.
That is why I said the TIMER's head is all screwed up. which should have been the subject of the comments.
i.e why does TIMER act as it does by giving different times for the same thing. It does the same in QB4.5 as well as FB.

I read your never-mind statement, but I’ll post this here because the example code is here.

If the benchmark runs in something less than about 20 microseconds, then the FB timer’s limited resolution (a few microseconds under Windows) will cause a more or less significant run to run variation in the timings. On my 500 MHz P3 processor the loops with the print statements run in about 4 microseconds, and since timing a loop requires 2 calls to the timer function, each with an uncertainty of about 2 microseconds (because the calls are not synchronized with the timer), the total uncertainty is roughly equal to the loop time. And the faster the processor the faster the loop, so on a recent system the uncertainty will be multi-times larger than the loop time. Another source of run to run variations is the preemptive multitasking nature of Windows, see Multitasking.
Theunis Jansen

Postby Theunis Jansen » Jan 01, 2012 9:33

@ MichaelW
Thank you that is something I can now add to my knowledge base.

@ Marcov
I have read some other posts and see why you have become so grumpy.
I suggest that you don't get involved in such discussions or with someone who gets your goat.
And one last point - I do not live in a microcosm. Mentally and spiritually my reality is the Universe.
Mag vrede jou omvou in die komende jare.
marcov

Postby marcov » Jan 01, 2012 22:19

Theunis Jansen wrote:I have read some other posts and see why you have become so grumpy.

I haven't become grumpy. I may react grumpy from time to time in repetitive threads, but that is something totally different.
In general I'm a quite reasonable and upbeat person.

Theunis Jansen wrote:I suggest that you don't get involved in such discussions or with someone who gets your goat.

That's the trouble always with expressing unpopular views. Express them, and people think you have a goat.

Don't, and newcomers might think that some or other navelgazing attitude in a forum is the consensus of programming as a whole.

That being said, microoptimalisation is a healthy phase to go through as a programmer. Just don't get stuck in it too long.

And one last point - I do not live in a microcosm.

Reread the messages. It is meant within the context of this thread, so it about the part of your micro-optimalization mindset only, which I still consider rather limited.
Theunis Jansen

Postby Theunis Jansen » Jan 02, 2012 7:09

In or out of context "so it about the part of your micro-optimalization mindset only, which I still consider rather limited." The optimalization or the mindset ?
It is obvious that you did not read the original post correctly. Apart herefrom your refer to "Mindset". So once again my "mindset" mentally and spiritually is all encompassing. I see everyone's point in life and programming style and if it does not wilfully harm others then I have no problem with it.
Your previous reply did not border on insults it was most definitely insulting and most unbecoming of you.
See your remarks elsewhere regarding "Game playing" sit back and consider your mode of communication for even if it does not offend me, it does offend others. And again instead of getting involved over and over why don't you just post a link to the previous discussions ? Regarding your "20 Years" I must say it lays you wide open to insults regarding your learning curve. (Oops thats insulting! :D). So why don't you just furnish a link to the previous discussions ?

So please read my original post again; it did not concern a benchmark it concerned the TIMER function (which devolved into comparisons and Goto's and nitty gritty remarks) but which as far as I am concerned MichaelW most adequately answered.
This is a Beginners Forum where advice is sought not a school bench where a teacher decides he is going to preach and then uses insults to emphasize his point.

So as previously ; "Fin" which as you no doubt knows means"Finish", "Klaar", "No more", "The end". :)

Return to “Beginners”