How to compile & Run freebasic code

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
srvaldez

Re: How to compile & Run freebasic code

Post by srvaldez »

thank you kcvinu :-)
much appreciated.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

kcvinu wrote:@jj2007,
I 've heard about HLA (High Level Assembly) programming language few years ago. I don't know what's status of it. But it was a nice blend of assembly and high level features.
1. MasmBasic is not BASIC: mov ebx, eax is not part of any BASIC dialect.
2. MasmBasic is assembly, i.e. it will flawlessly assemble with Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM, version 6.15 upwards) or, alternatively, with Jwasm
I took this warning seriously :)
That page is very old, the latest version is here. Note it is in no way meant as a competitor of FreeBasic - it's my hobby, and it will remain a hobby forever. I admit that I like teasing the FB developers showing what is still missing in FreeBasic - Insert and Delete, for example ;-)

Re HLA, it seems clinically dead. Google "HLA" "Randall Hyde" for details ("Stable release: 2.16 / July 6, 2011; 9 years ago").
kcvinu

Post by kcvinu »

@jj2007,
I admit that I like teasing the FB developers showing what is still missing in FreeBasic
That's interesting. Please tease them so much that they start thinking about adding a dynamic wide string data type into freeBasic.
HLA, it seems clinically dead

That's sad.
Well, I think I need to learn MASM first to try your MASMBasic. I know nothing about assembly except there is some things called registers like eax, ebx and we can keep bytes in it. I have an analogy to explain my understanding about assembly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A building is like a finished program.
Cement bricks are used to build a building, so languages like C, C++ are like cement bricks..
Rock chips are used to build a cement brick, and assembly is like that rock chip.
In this analogy, one needs to combine rock chips to build their program. But they are free to make any shaped bricks.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

kcvinu wrote:dynamic wide string data type
Something like wLetMy$="Hello World"? Afaik there is an external package here in the forum that does what you need.
I think I need to learn MASM first to try your MASMBasic. I know nothing about assembly except there is some things called registers like eax, ebx and we can keep bytes in it. I have an analogy to explain my understanding about assembly.
Lego bricks are the better analogy. MASM is like building skycrapers only with thousands of little Lego bricks. FreeBasic (and MasmBasic) use much bigger elements.
kcvinu

Post by kcvinu »

@jj2007,
Afaik there is an external package here in the forum that does what you need.
The one and only one library I found was the Cwstr type created byJose Roca. Is there any other ?
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

kcvinu wrote:Is there any other ?
How many do you need?
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello kcvinu, I know that you asked jj but I would like to recommend WinFBX by Jose Roca https://github.com/JoseRoca/WinFBX
it includes the Cwstr type along with just about all you need to do windows programming, you may find some useful code/libraries here as well https://www.freebasic-portal.de/
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

srvaldez wrote:hello kcvinu, I know that you asked jj but I would like to recommend WinFBX by Jose Roca https://github.com/JoseRoca/WinFBX
it includes the Cwstr type along with just about all you need to do windows programming, you may find some useful code/libraries here as well https://www.freebasic-portal.de/
Right, that was the package I meant.
kcvinu

Post by kcvinu »

@srvaldez,
Thanks for the reply. I already knew it. But the reason I asked to jj2007, is that it needs some other "inc" files to work. Now, I am using it with the whole "Afx" folder. But, I am happy with that.