It's competition time!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

The version number can be ignored, added due to habit i think!

I've just this minute updated the download, the ending after 1 drone was something i put it to test, i was getting fed up of collecting 20 to sort out the ending!.

I did include a mid air-pickup but it wasn't working quite right (as the ship was directly above it was not releasing) but i'll think i try and get it working again.

The main problem i am having is a use for the fire button, being able to destroy the bottom turrets would make the game to easy.

I did not include the source as i am not sure if we are able to do that before the end, i think i have been re-inventing a lot of wheels... :)
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

the game looks cool but I cannot control the ship at all. please use WASD or arrow key movement. I'm sure others will agree as well.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Obviously you never had a BBC Micro... :) I've updated the download and arrow keys can now be used.
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

thanks. much easier for me now. :]
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Bah. I finally completed the engine of the first part of my entry. Spent whole weekend on it. I didn't imagine it will be so draining and difficult. Almost jeopardized my participation in this compo, and I can't be sure if this wasted time will affect the final quality of the product. Still didn’t have time to import the font. Sigh.

Luckily I'll be able to reuse this engine for another project.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

I'm just glad there are 2 more weekends, because i doubt i will be able to do anything to my entry in the week due to work...

I'm tempted to upload the source to mine now on the basis that if there is anything that breaks a rule, hopefully someone will say and i can fix it!
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Same here. This weekend wasn't very successful for me, but like I said, I finished the main engine. I also imported the font from the resource file and multiput.

I'm really uncertain if I'll be able to complete my entry because during work days I don’t think I’ll even have 30 minutes to code per day. Nothing was done on the second part of the game yet, and I'm not even sure about the gameplay that it should feature.

Don't want even to think about presentation, from the menu to polishing the actual first part of the game. The very engine is really nothing.

I’m scared.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

KristopherWindsor wrote:2) Can I submit multiple entries? Can I win more than one prize if I have two good entries?
Ciw1973, you did not answer this question. o_O
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

my game is already very playable, and i hope to finish it in a week.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

KristopherWindsor wrote:
KristopherWindsor wrote:2) Can I submit multiple entries? Can I win more than one prize if I have two good entries?
Ciw1973, you did not answer this question. o_O
Sorry. I'm only just back at home now after a 3 hour delay on the return flight.

No problem at all submitting multiple entries, but you as an individual can only vote once in the audience appreciation.

What you may want to consider, is whether you may in fact be splitting your vote by entering more than one game? My marking will be relative to all of the other games, but if you were to enter two good games instead of one, then the audience vote may be divided.

Have you considered entering a single game with multiple levels which are effectively different games with maybe a common theme? You could repeat the sub-games making them harder as the player progresses, in the same way that games like Donkey Kong do.

In response to Lachie's concerns about voting. Only people who have submitted entries will be allowed to vote, and as mentioned above, you can only submit your rankings once.

If someone does enter several entries under different names in an attempt to sway the audience voting, then they will be disqualified along with *ALL* of their entries, so you're far better just entering them under your own name.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

ssjx wrote:I'm tempted to upload the source to mine now on the basis that if there is anything that breaks a rule, hopefully someone will say and i can fix it!
Your game certainly appears to be within the rules, with the main objects being taken from the graphics provided but supplemented by graphics primitives.

I noticed that there was a missing pixel from one of the frames of the small invader which made the right "eye" too big, and it also looks as if I'd accidentally dragged the pencil tool over the second frame of the base explosion, but that doesn't really matter.

I intend updating the original resource file to add in just the missing pixel in the small invader, as little things like that bug me. I trust this isn't going to mess up anyone's entries as a result?
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

So to submit our entries, we need only post a link here to the download before the end time of the compo?

-Vince
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Have you considered entering a single game with multiple levels which are effectively different games with maybe a common theme?
Thanks, that is a good idea. ;-)

It looks like the competition will be harder than the previous one, with people such as duke4e and vdecampo entering, so I'll have to get a good idea soon! :-)
ChangeV

Post by ChangeV »

Can I change color of sprites?
like red for enemy, blue for player...etc.

Code: Select all

Put [ target, ] [ STEP ] ( x,y ), source [ ,( x1,y1 )-( x2,y2 ) ] [ ,method [ ,( alphaval|value|blender [ ,param]) ] ]
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

KristopherWindsor wrote:It looks like the competition will be harder than the previous one, with people such as duke4e and vdecampo entering, so I'll have to get a good idea soon! :-)
This sounds like i'm some "cool dude". Actually I'm better at googling tutorials than at programming.