It's competition time!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

In my earlier post, I said that you had to get your audience appreciation votes to me by 22:00 GMT next Monday, but that's actually the latest time I said the final results will be announced, so you'll need to get them to me by 21:00 GMT. Of course, I'm hoping I'll have heard from all 8 entrants well before then.

As we have 8 entries, I've decided that the audience appreciation marks will be odd numbers only, to give a better separation should my marks be close. So, the highest ranked game will get 15 points, the next highest 13, all the way down to the lowest ranked one which will get 1 point.

You should do the same with your audience appreciation marks, but as you won't be including your own game, the lowest mark will be 3 points.

I'm going to be awarding the best game in each scoring category full marks, and all other games will be relative to that. Again, the idea is to try and ensure a better spread of points.

I had a quick play of all 8 games shortly after the deadline had passed, but will be spending a lot longer playing and scoring each one over the next two nights.

You'll probably not hear much from me on the forum from Thursday night until Monday night, as I'm off to Eindhoven for a few days, but if there's anything important I'll be able to pick up my emails on the Blackberry. You'll find my email address earlier in the thread.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Well, I think 3 weeks are ridiculously small amount of time to do the programming, design, graphics and sound and music for any game. I don't know. With people who are employed or very busy at school, this sucks quite a bit. I was thinking about 2 months deadline for the next compo, as I believe we (or that's you) should at least try to take this step and see what people can come up in this extended period of time. This of course, requires from your constant reminding and probing people on their progress.

I also have an idea for a theme for the next compo. Will discuss this with you via email.
k7

Post by k7 »

Well I've finished school now and just bludging at home now... So make the next one as short as you want ciw :-D. I think that 2 months is too long especially for FB newbies like myself. That's a long time to spend on a game, a lot of people couldn't be bothered using their spare time on one project for so long.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

How about the next game compo be all vector graphics!

:-)

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

It's quite obvious that some of us have diametrically different opinions on the format of the next compo. Perhaps you should open a poll regarding that. Of course, the final choice is up to you. I only wish that someone with such desire to give cash to fellow game designers wasn't so keen about quick and short game projects, maximum with minimum and similar philosophy, which something I definitely am not. I mean, how about making the next compo rule – code your game in QB! Restricting enough for you?

In my opinion, more extended period of time and theme-based compo would allow developers to express and show different approaches, talents and skills, and eventually, allow EVERYONE who wants to participate to submit something (how much small it is, it should be 100% complete), while this sort of short compos don’t.

BTW, please make a webpage for this compo. The last one really lacked that. If nothing else, list all games on one page with final scores, including local downloads and screenshots.

EDIT:

I'll have my scores and comments on all the entries ready tomorrow (they will be posted here).
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

I think this competition was long enough. ;-)
Lachie Dazdarian

I disagree.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

I have to say that I've been very much torn on the subject of how long the next competition should be.

First off, I agree 100% with Lachie on this one, in that to write a good quality game which has any chance of meeting your full expectations as a developer (especially if you are creating all of the assets yourself) you are going to need at least a couple of months. My preference would be the same.

However, these competitions have seen plenty of interest from people who either don't have the time or the desire to take part in a long-running competition, and who I'm sure would feel it pointless in competition terms trying to compete with a number of experienced developers who will no doubt be able to produce some truly wonderful and very polished games given the extra time.

So, after pondering this for the last few days, I've decided that the next competition will be run on two tiers.

The theme and rules will be identical for both competitions, and they'll start at the same time. There may be additional or sub-themes which will need to be in the games submitted for the full competition, but I've not decided yet.

There will be a short competition, similar to this one, with entries being submitted after around three weeks. The entries will be judged and prizes awarded pretty much exactly as this time.

In addition to this, there will also be an extended competition, which will run for approximately 2 months. The entries will be judged only against the other full entries submitted and there will be further prizes which will be larger than those for the short competition.

There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to submit your entry for the shorter competition, but then carry on developing it for submission in the full length competition. In fact, it'll probably give you some valuable feedback, and if it's particularly good, then you may even win more than one prize.

I think this approach will give those who want a shorter competition the opportunity to compete in one, but those who would prefer more time to develop their games the chance to do so as well. Hopefully, it will also encourage people who have initially only planned to enter the short competition to to continue working on their entires.

What do you all think of this idea?
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

That is a great idea! :-D
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

good idea, i wish i had finished my entry in time, but doesnt matter i really have much fun with this compo, glad to have people, making them, anywayz i will finish my entry and post, just to spread my work =)
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

I've now finished my judging, and whilst I'll be having a final play of the games on Monday and may end up tweaking the scores a little, as things stand at the moment, first a second place are pretty safe, but the battle for third place is very close, so your audience appreciation scores will almost certainly decide this.

I've not had chance to put together a website for this (or the last) competition, but it's something I plan to have up and running within a couple of days of the results being announced and the winners paid.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Just wanted to ask... Do you guys gave sound in my game? Cause friend of mine doesn't. Weird...
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

I thought that 3 weeks was just enough time really. On a two month deadline, people will probably still wish they had a few more days!

The two tiered idea sounds good, but would a lot of people be tempted to drop out after the first date if they thought they had no chance for the extended?

Btw i hope to get my scores to you on saturday, i've had a quick go on each but will have a longer play before deciding.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

duke4e wrote:Just wanted to ask... Do you guys gave sound in my game? Cause friend of mine doesn't. Weird...
No sound for me. : (
Lachie Dazdarian

Same here, duke4e.

Anyway ciw1973, this is great idea by my opinion, and I don't get what ssjx means by his comment. You'll have the short compo and the long compo. You'll have a choice to participate in the short compo and win an award, plus get the valuable motivation and feedback for the long compo. On the other hand, you can right away direct your efforts toward the long compo and decide to keep your entry a secret.

I find more problematic the fact many people give up because of lack of time, than people giving up because they...I don't know....fear they don't have a chance. I mean, that's your problem and far from a valid reason not to have a compo that lasts more than a month.