It's competition time!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:ciw, I'm not sure if the idea that the participants vote is good too. It seems like an odd thing to me. I mean, some people might vote for the obvious favorites with low scores to cut down their competition. The again, if the scoring will be public and will have to be elaborated I doubt anyone will be tempted to be malicious. Well, let it be an experiment which hopefully you won't regret making.
Many other competitions are judged by the competitors, and it usually works pretty well.

The idea is simply that the audience vote will come into play if there is a tie or my final scores are pretty close, it's still going to be 90% my scores and 10% audience appreciation anyway. I just think it's a much better and fairer way to decide any close calls which may arise.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Very likely there will be a clear winner chosen by the audience and him both. If he can't pick, the audience will.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

LOL! When I blow my game up full screen I feel like I'm playing my old Atari 2600. :-)

-Vince
aleofjax

Post by aleofjax »

Alright, I found the problem with the speed issue. My frame limiter was poorly designed; it didn't work at all! I rebuilt it, and fixed a few other bugs. You can now use F2/F3 to turn on and off an FPS display. It uses PRINT, so I'll remove it for my final release. I think I got rid of the crashing issue with the stones, and kept them from remaining on the screen after a level change. I fixed the splash animation problem and replaced all my implicit speed changes with variables to make it easier to tweak.

@Lachie: There are more jellyfish on subsequent levels, up to 13 at a time.

Anyway, here's the updated version with the binary included. Thanks for the feedback!
http://www.mediafire.com/?7hugmmhmbru
Last edited by aleofjax on Nov 06, 2007 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

@aleofjax

I tried running your demo but it couldn't find a DLL FMOD. You will want to include that in your dist.

-Vince
aleofjax

Post by aleofjax »

Sorry, I thought FMOD was pretty much standard arsenal around here. It'll be about a day or so before I can get that included. I'm at work right now, so I can't download much, and my access at home is off ATM. I'll pull of my comp and bring it to work on a floppy.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

aleofjax wrote:Sorry, I thought FMOD was pretty much standard arsenal around here.
It is! :-)

If you search your computer, you probably have it with some games that came with your computer.

- Author of Macro Keys
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Wow, didn't expect const/define replies! I know when to use what, like i said i just didn't realise FB actually supported #defines and have not got around to changing things over.
counting_pine
Site Admin

Post by counting_pine »

Careful, you'll start the discussion again. Suffice to say, just because FB supports defines, doesn't mean they're better than const for holding constants.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

aleofjax, just had a go at your game again. now runs at a much better speed! I have noticed it crashing though when i try and deliver a jellyfish to the ufo, it brings up a windows app error message.

That said, the crashing could be down to me, as i am trying out the game discretely(work) i am recompiling it and removing the 3 'gfx_fullscreen' bits in the source so i can try it in a small window.

One thing though, any chance of being able to hit a key skip the 'text-typing' on the title screen?
aleofjax

Post by aleofjax »

I keep meaning to do that...

and now I have. (Above link updated) I also included fmod.dll. I don't know if it's the right one to make it work. If anyone can let me know which file is needed, I'll get it in there.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

aleofjax wrote:I keep meaning to do that...

and now I have. (Above link updated) I also included fmod.dll. I don't know if it's the right one to make it work. If anyone can let me know which file is needed, I'll get it in there.
Well it runs now but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to control anything. I used the arrows, aswz and some other combos but nothing seems to move. The aliens are busy doin stuff but I'm not controlling anything.

Looks cool though.
-Vince
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

KristopherWindsor wrote:
aleofjax wrote:Sorry, I thought FMOD was pretty much standard arsenal around here.
It is! :-)

If you search your computer, you probably have it with some games that came with your computer.

- Author of Macro Keys
take care to be sure that is fmod.dll 3.7.5 version ... Later version doesn't work with FB (not yet ...?)
aleofjax

Post by aleofjax »

The purple one that looks like a crab is controlled with "WASD". He has momentum, so he will drift around the water. I would have used the arrow keys, but it would have made using the mouse difficult to use, which BTW controls the flying Orange alien.

The controls and gameplay are explained in the help section, that you get to by pressing F1 before you start level 1.

edit:
take care to be sure that is fmod.dll 3.7.5 version ... Later version doesn't work with FB (not yet ...?)
I included ver. 3.7.4.

@ssjx
I just tested your game, and it's pretty cool. I only have a couple of things to mention. On the startup screen in says "PRESS ANY KEY TO START", but only responds to the spaacebar. Just change line 342 from

Code: Select all

loop while inkey<>" "

'to this
loop while inkey = ""
that should fix it. Also, the game consistently crashes after level 1, right after I press a key to continue. (Win 2K, P4 1.4Ghtz, 768 MB RAM)

I hope that helps you out. I'm looking forward to your next release!
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Oops, i'll fix that any key prob at some point!

There's only one level so far so it just exits at the end (hope it not proper crashing..), the source has clues to what i hope to add on the next level or two, borrowing bits from Asteroids and Thrust... :)