It's competition time!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

Just uploaded the latest version (0.3) of my entry here:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/invaders.php

It's now got a title screen,high score table and some sound. It's basically the actual game now that needs work!
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Well since we're about a week from the end of this compo, I though it prudent to get some feedback to make any last minute tweaks.

You can download my game from here...

http://www.imakegames.com/Vandris_Escape.zip 257k Win32

If you've ever played an Atari 2600 or similar, this really brought back memories! :-)

Enjoy
-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

What can I say? All you guys outdid yourself. Loved your entry, Vince. Simple, pure, fun. Perhaps a bit to repetitive, but quite addictive. Finished some 2/3 of the cave on my second attempt. Problems I had? I don’t like the fact when a new projectile is shot the old one disappears. Second, you seem to have some problem with sprite transparency. How come?
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:What can I say? All you guys outdid yourself. Loved your entry, Vince. Simple, pure, fun. Perhaps a bit to repetitive, but quite addictive. Finished some 2/3 of the cave on my second attempt. Problems I had? I don’t like the fact when a new projectile is shot the old one disappears. Second, you seem to have some problem with sprite transparency. How come?
Some sprites are a fixed color (ie:Ship, Turret, Fire) and others I wanted to be multi-colored (ie: Text, Aliens). The way I achieve multi-color was to cheat and do a double PUT, one with the original sprite as white and TRANS, and then another which is a color overlay using AND. This gives me the desired color, but gives color artifacts when sprites get too close.

I could probable fix this with a CUSTOM put. Perhaps I will do just that.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Vince
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

OK. I stopped being lazy and replaced my cheezy sprite coloring with a custom PUT function. Actually made things easier. I also made it so you can fire 2 shots at once and they no longer recall. You can download the latest from the above link...

Thanks Lachie.

Cheers
-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Unfortunately, I gave up on making an action part of my game, which means kissing goodbye to any chance of winning an award. The initial action part concept failed, despite the fact I made a really cool transition from the Tetris to ship driving part. Simply, there is no time to make anything good now, and a lackluster action part can only reduce the quality of the overall program.

So I'll try to polish up the Tetris part as much as it can be done.

:(
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Ryan wrote:@duke4e (and others) - I uploaded a new version of the demo that includes a settings.ini file for you to modify. I'd love it if you could tell me if you're able to start it in 320 x 240 windowed or if you have to use 640 x 480.
Both windowed mode and 640x480 work fine.
Can't wait for final release :)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

ssjx wrote:Just uploaded the latest version (0.3) of my entry here:

http://ssjx.co.uk/windows/invaders.php

It's now got a title screen,high score table and some sound. It's basically the actual game now that needs work!
Tried to run the game. Says can't find FMOD.dll. Don't forget to include all libs your program uses when you make your final distribution.

-Vince
ChangeV

Post by ChangeV »

my entry.

Invader FB. the final story

it is a 2 part game.

first part is space invaders clone with BIG sprites.
everything's so big, I couldn't add the shield.
first part is pretty much done(I guess).

second part is something else...
still working on it.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

@ChangeV

Did you draw those text sprites in memory or are you using Draw String? That may be a rule violation of only using graphic primitives. Something to check on before the close of the compo.

-Vince
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Tee hee, it looks like you might be using the code I posted, ChangeV. :-P
If the sprites are too big, you can change the code to only enlarge the spites by 2x. ;-)
ChangeV

Post by ChangeV »

here is my text drawing routine I used in my game.
This routine uses SOURCE, ( x1, y1 )-( x2, y2 ) area of PUT command.

Code: Select all

BLOAD "graphics\graphics.bmp", resource_graphic
PSET resource_graphic, (12, 3), &hffffff  'fix the squid alien's eye on original source graphic

SUB TEXTDRAW (BYVAL x AS INTEGER = 0 , BYVAL y AS INTEGER = 0, BYVAL text AS STRING, BYVAL ColorKey AS INTEGER = &h000000, BYVAL border AS INTEGER = TRUE)

DIM AS INTEGER number_of_letter, i, ascii, row, column

number_of_letter = LEN(text)
   IF number_of_letter >0 THEN
      FOR i = 0 TO number_of_letter - 1
         ascii = ASC(UCASE(text), i + 1)
         row = (ascii \ 16) * 8
         column = (ascii MOD 16)*8

IF border THEN 'draw border
            PUT (x + i * 8+1, y), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8-1, y), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8, y+1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8, y-1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8+1, y-1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8+1, y+1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8-1, y+1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
            PUT (x + i * 8-1, y-1), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7),trans
         END IF

PUT (x + i * 8, y), resource_graphic, (column, row)-(column + 7, row + 7), custom, @CUSTOM_MONO_PUT, @colorkey
      NEXT
   END IF
END Sub
I draw letter 8 times (8 directions) to draw border
I used upper right part of shield sprite to make truck

I used PSET just once to repair eye of squid alien.
I draw everything with PUT and MultiPUT. (some line-BF command to draw background in title and first game)

I used 21 sprites in whole form. I only used part of sprite (8x8 pixel from shield) on truck in the TITLE screen. (used TEXTDRAW routine of course)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

ChangeV wrote:here is my text drawing routine I used in my game.
This routine uses SOURCE, ( x1, y1 )-( x2, y2 ) area of PUT command.
Very Impressive! Outstanding use of a very limited font style. Too bad I didn't think of it first! :-0

I just wanted to make sure you didn't get disqualified. Your game looks cool!

Cheer!
-Vince
ssjx

Post by ssjx »

@vdecampo, thanks for the reminder about fmod.dll, i did not think to included it!

I had a quick go on your game, it's very good! one thing i did think was that i would be good if you could use WASD to fire in a direction different to where your are moving, kinda like Ryans entry...
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Yep, it's 100% procedural.