Atomic Ball HD

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Yes, sir. DirectX 9 running on my PC. Tested it with the Windows built-in diagnostic tool.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Runs great and looks awesome... my wife laughed at me for dieing so much while getting the hang of it. I'll have to play again to see how I do. ; )
Voltage

Post by Voltage »

Very polished. :) I really enjoyed this game, enough eye candy and non-buggy physics to keep my attention.

Great job.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Just tried it out for the first time, it is SUPERB!!!
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

@duke4e
Nice work. It runs ok on my buggy dinosuar p4 1.8g , geforce2,
640 MB. around 50 fps.

@maddogg6
But - definitely - the current music made me turn off my speakers after 15 mins of playing cuz - it was kinda getting on my nerves.... so... thats the weakness for this game - in my most humbled opinion.
I tend to agree. Thats why I changed it. Just rename your favorite ogg
as "song01.ogg" and put it in the \data\audio folder replacing the original.
aleofjax

Post by aleofjax »

I tried this out a couple of days ago and had so much fun playing, I didn't give myself time to reply before I had to go to work! Very fun, great work!
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

Wildcat wrote:@maddogg6
But - definitely - the current music made me turn off my speakers after 15 mins of playing cuz - it was kinda getting on my nerves.... so... thats the weakness for this game - in my most humbled opinion.
I tend to agree. Thats why I changed it. Just rename your favorite ogg
as "song01.ogg" and put it in the \data\audio folder replacing the original.
Ahh, yes... but now I hate my favorite song now too... lolz
Im sure the final release will play different song-files... so, I have little doubt that this is a non-issue anyway.

I ended up replacing it with a silenced .oog file.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Just wanted to say thanks for all your replies. Now I need your ideas to help me a little.

How to make the game more progressive through each level? Cause right now, all levels feel same. I was thinking about varying the speed of map elements on every level. Also adding smaller and bigger map elements, and maybe adding various special powers to RMB depending on map.

Tell me what you think, and be sure to write your ideas!
Merick

Post by Merick »

On higher levels, how about having the game pieces multiply by doing an amoeba-like split? Have it happen at set intervals, and the longer the player stays on the level the shorter the interval gets
maddogg6

Post by maddogg6 »

you could...

For the target pieces, when they move below the players paddle - take points away, forcing the player to use the paddle to 'nudge' the target pieces back up to the top of the screen.

edit: you caold make it so you need to protect something below the paddle from being hit by the moving target pieces, sort a like combining missle command with break out... /edit

edit: at higher leves, instead of the pieces 'sticking' when they collide, make them deflect instead... /edit

Change the background image and pieces as to sorta 'obscure' the playing area...
Maybe make something like falling stars, to trick the player into trying to catch it (but they are not bonus')... or something like that.

Limit how many bonus' offered....
Make one a 'nuke' that equates to an immediate end game...

I dunno,,, just spout'n off...
SSC

Post by SSC »

I just tried this out, very nice work . . I really like it.

Something does seem to be missing but I'm not sure what. As far as making it progressive, you could start adding multiple balls, or slowing the paddles, or giving the later levels more negative powerups. You could also have the ball speed up the longer you stay alive. There is a lot you could do really, anyway I look forward to seeing the final version.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

After a few years in hiatus, the game is finally released for iPad/iPhone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxMNHWlZ ... r_embedded