Maybe this would make awesome Windows apps like WinFBE available on Linux

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
hungnguyengia

Maybe this would make awesome Windows apps like WinFBE available on Linux

Post by hungnguyengia »

I say bye bye to Windows yesterday. A computer virus turned all of the files into gibberish. Instead of paying to get everything back, I chose to wipe everything out and set up Linux on that laptop, too.

I miss many Windows-only IDE of FBC. They should run fine in Wine but I explored there is another way: Winelib.

Maybe if FBC supports another target which is Winelib on Linux then we would have awesome Windows apps like WinFBE available here.

Here is Winelib:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Winelib
aurelVZAB

Re: Maybe this would make awesome Windows apps like WinFBE available on Linux

Post by aurelVZAB »

what kind of virus is that ?
all the time i am using win7 with Kaspersky AV(Free version)
and i can say that i never have such a problems...
If pc get infected in your case laptop ...you need to format or better erase all partitions
on of good ways is to use Gparted from linux distro( yes it is the best ) because clean everything on HD

ps .using Vine,or vine lib cannot replace Windows.
marcov

Post by marcov »

hungnguyengia wrote:I say bye bye to Windows yesterday. A computer virus turned all of the files into gibberish. Instead of paying to get everything Maybe if FBC supports another target which is Winelib on Linux then we would have awesome Windows apps like WinFBE available here.
When do you think you will have it done? Namedropping random functionality is useless unless you provide resources to do something about it.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Winelib was once touted as a means of porting Windows applications to Linux, but in practice it's just not that useful. It has all of the same disadvantages of wine and no additional benefits. Today winelib is mostly used to build components of wine itself. In practice no one uses it for porting because you can just run the application under Wine. So TL;DR is just run WinFBE in Wine.

I've found it is possible to run Linux binaries from within Wine so you might be able to get WinFBE to run the Linux version of the compiler (but probably not the debugger). But I can't get standard out from the linux binary to show up in Windows, so WinFBE may not be happy. Note that you'd have the exact same issue if you built WinFBE with winelib. There are simply some impedance mismatches between the normal Linux environment and the environment that Wine and winelib create.

Fortunately Linux has a plethora of good programming editors and debugging UIs, so there's really little need for such a hack.