Simultaneous OpenVPN connections in Windows (help)

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
c-sanchez

Simultaneous OpenVPN connections in Windows (help)

Post by c-sanchez »

Hi, first, sorry for posting something that is not strictly related to FreeBASIC or programming, but I think this might be a place to find help for what I am looking to do.

I currently use OpenVPN to connect to VPN networks, I would like to be able to have simultaneous active connections and use each one separately as I wish, OpenVPN supports multiple connections.
However, I have some problems with this, first each VPN connection should be established with the main network adapter "Local area connection" ("My Internet").
But it is quite likely that only the first vpn connection will be established in this way, the second and other connections will be established with the "default" adapter for that moment (VPN adapter/connection probably).

From what I've read, this kind of thing (networking) is not particularly easy on Windows.

Set up a VPN connection and use it + local area connection with two separate programs.

We can easily bind programs to specific adapters in Windows with BindIP, I found this nice program in github.
https://github.com/katlogic/bindip
as stated in its description "Started as a spiritual successor to forcebindip" :)

Now with that accomplished, I want to be able to set up two or more VPN connections.
However, as I said at the beginning, I have some problems, bind openvpn.exe and openvpnserv.exe to the internet adapter (Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller) makes it impossible to establish any VPN connection.
So I can only leave it on "default route", I have no idea why this is happening, I find it interesting.

And finally, I know that to have a second vpn connection I must add an adapter, OpenVPN already includes utilities to do this.

But if I try to establish a second vpn connection and I bind a program to its adapter, the connections are completely lost (including the local connection).

My neighbor has his computer connected to my Wifi, so they gave me the idea to try to connect everything as I did before and set up the second vpn connection on their computer, this worked without any problem.
In fact it worked even using the same connection file on both computers (.ovpn).
I am using NordVPN service, this one allows up to 6 simultaneous devices, but well, I needed to do the test since I'm trying to establish multiple connections on the same computer.

And no, using virtual machines is not an option I want to take, it consumes too many resources.
Last edited by fxm on Jul 02, 2021 9:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic moved to Community Discussion because not related to FreeBASIC.