Albert's thread

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
angros47

Re: Albert's thread

Post by angros47 »

Marcov perhaps doesn't know much about FreeBasic, but he knows a lot about compiler development (being one of the developers of FreePascal). And even if he didn't wrote much FB code, he provided a lot of help in situations involving use of specific system API; FreeBasic has to go through a long way, to reach its full potential, and the same is true for GCC and FreePascal. But those languages have gone further, since development started earlier and with bigger teams. Many of the problems we are facing are the same problems that FreePascal has already gone through, and solved, so it's good to have here one member of their team.

Marcov has given much more help here than you, in my opinion, dodicat.
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

I don't know what is all this about Albert ..i even don't know who is this but i
must react ..because i know well who is so-called ScriptBasic manager ...it is ordinary trouble maker banned from all other
BASIC-s forums ,including recently Raspbary Pi forum, he also stolen Oxygenbasic project from all possible or potential users, he own
the hosting of o2 forum.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

angros47 wrote:
jj2007 wrote:My best guess is that we are his support network, and have been for more than 14 years now.
No, we aren't. At least, it's not why I have joined this forum.
Did I join this forum to see Albert's failed attempts at compression? NO.
Did I join this forum to learn about exotic Linux distros like Knoppix? NO.
Did I join this forum to argue with marcov? NO (but I enjoyed the arguments sometimes, hehe).
Did I join this forum to see endless debates about toolchains and their errors? NO.
Did I join this forum to learn about the beauties of Scotland? NO.

And yet, I have not the slightest problem with such posts. Sometimes I read them (I really liked David's para about Scotland), sometimes I skip them and mark them as read. How much of your precious time is wasted if you simply ignore Albert's post?

I proposed above to give Albert one dedicated thread, where he can expose his more or less amusing ideas. Who is in the mood could chime in and have a friendly chat, who is not just ignores him. I really don't understand why that seems such a big deal.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

The one dedicated thread was attempted.

Careful, angros47, you might step on the wrong toes with that last line.

This is a community: it takes all kinds to be a whole.
We each have our place, play our role, and it always sad to see any long-time member leave.

I did not see Albert's post.
I don't follow ALbert's threads.
I recognize he has a problem we can't fix.

But he does remind me that I could be like that, one day, and I would like to think that there is some compassion that a stranger could offer: it might be my only lifeline.
I hope I have the sense to see my own folly when that happens.

I am sad to see him go. But if he gave bad medical advice, it must be.

I agree: GOOD Luck, Albert.

Now, why is someone asking for the censoring of a thread?
Why are people pointing fingers?

This discussion was good expression, maybe a few high emotions and a few pretentious attitudes.

Unless someone has a new thought to express, we would be better to take a break and let this die.
But DON"T erase the thread.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

jj2007 wrote:And yet, I have not the slightest problem with such posts.
So what? The fact that you are not bothered by such post doesn't mean that other people cannot be bothered either

How much of your precious time is wasted if you simply ignore Albert's post?
Then, why not letting spammer post advertisement on this forum? You can just ignore them, as well, can't you?

The "just ignore it" is not a viable solution.
I proposed above to give Albert one dedicated thread, where he can expose his more or less amusing ideas. Who is in the mood could chime in and have a friendly chat, who is not just ignores him. I really don't understand why that seems such a big deal.
Because it would distract forum resources from the main purpose of this forum.
I already made a counter-proposal: make a dedicated forum, or chatroom, for albert and you. There, you will be the one making the rules
speedfixer wrote:Careful, angros47, you might step on the wrong toes with that last line.
What do you mean?
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

@David: care to repost? I accidentally edited it when I was trying to quote it. Truly sorry for the inconvenience...
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

@angros47
I read again your post then i figured that so called "Albert" is JohnSpikowski ..The_Trouble_Maker
and i agree with you ..he don't deserve any post or any thread.
so i have a right...
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

aurelVZAB wrote:@angros47
I read again your post then i figured that so called "Albert" is JohnSpikowski ..The_Trouble_Maker
and i agree with you ..he don't deserve any post or any thread.
so i have a right...
Mind, Albert is NOT John Spikowski. It was just a reference to another incident.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

@paul doe::repost

I assume you mean deltarho[1859] not speedfixer?

david
sauvin

Post by sauvin »

I am a moderator in two very different fora, one a phpbb rather like this one and another a rather large relatime chat (sometimes exceeding two thousand people), and have been a moderator in several other fora over the years. Most of the time, it's a very enjoyable experience where like-minded people gather together to discuss the ins and outs of a particular area of interest (this one's "area of interest" is in learning and using FreeBASIC), but as in real life, people with challenges show up and disrupt the fora in unwelcome ways.

Moderating a forum can be a tricky business. Responsible fora post a set of rules designed to promote a desired environment, usually with a view towards maintaining something of a civil air. Enforcing such rules too rigidly, the forum turns into something many people don't want to be part of, and enforcing them too laxly has a similar result, if usually very different in form. Because of this, all forum moderators are called upon to exercise judgment, to develop a feel for when to let little stuff slide in the interest of not stifling the community and when to step in firmly in the interest of not letting the forum slide too much into a bad direction. This is the tricky part: most of the time, "bad" behaviour falls into something of a grey zone.

I have also recently had to ban a few problem users. They've been problems for years, but they'd been "small" problems, not really big enough to merit harsh action even if they need to be given a day or two "off" every now and again. Sometimes habitual problem users survive long enough to get over whatever's making them problems and they can turn into very welcome and helpful community members, which is why the decision to ban habitual problems users isn't always such a clear-cut matter.

Behind the scenes, we (us moderators in these other fora) have to be guided by a principle that doesn't appear on the rules pages: it's not about being "fair", and it's not about "justice". It's about running a forum in a way to maximise the benefit to the community's individual members in the largest possible numbers, and we can sometimes take incredible flack when we have to act on this principle: "Why did you ban SomeProblemUser and not OtherAnnoyingPerson!?"

Apart from being (1) human and therefore imperfect, and (2) entirely volunteer, donating what time we carved out from personal and professional lives, the only answer we know how to give these kinds of questions is "We felt this action was necessary for the greatest good of the greatest number".

Trust me, moderating a forum can thankless at times.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

paul doe wrote:@David: care to repost? I accidentally edited it when I was trying to quote it. Truly sorry for the inconvenience...
Thanks, Paul, I have now heard and seen everything.

My penultimate statement was that I had said my piece and was vacating the thread. My last statement was to wish you well as a Moderator even though I think you have started on the wrong foot. As for the rest of my post that is now down the drain and will remain there.
sauvin wrote:"We felt this action was necessary for the greatest good of the greatest number"
That is why I suggested deleting this thread.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

aurelVZAB wrote:i figured that so called "Albert" is JohnSpikowski
No, Aurel, it's a completely different case. Have a look at UTF8 disk I/O library, this is Spiko "at work". Albert has never been impolite (to my knowledge), he is neither arrogant nor aggressive. He is more like a lost child (but I suspect he is in his eighties...).
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

Aha ok then ...
but still such a post as is (this one ) just distract of programming
ban this ban that ...going to baning everything ....ok enough for today from me ..heh
...back to programming....
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

deltarho[1859] wrote:...
My penultimate statement was that I had said my piece and was vacating the thread. My last statement was to wish you well as a Moderator even though I think you have started on the wrong foot. As for the rest of my post that is now down the drain and will remain there.
That's ok. It wasn't all that interesting anyway...

@speedfixer: Indeed, I meant deltarho[1859].
marcov

Post by marcov »

dodicat wrote:Yea.
It is a good read, jj2007:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21939
The demise of another member, it has been a rare thing in all these years.
And marcov in the thick of it while he himself has not written a line of freebasic code.
Reading that thread back, I think the second part of it (describing the problem with the interpretation of C headers and various routes as alternatives) is quite good actually.