Sound (description)

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
VANYA

Sound (description)

Post by VANYA »

This topic is more of an appeal / request to fxm. Maybe on the eve of the release of the new version of the compiler, you fxm will have the opportunity to write an article in WIKI about the simplest library from Angros47? After all, there are mostly QUICKBASIC teams with minor differences. This might prompt CoderJeff to add this library to the compiler's "INCLUDE" directory. For those new to FB, this would be great. But what can I say, it would also be convenient for me to use right out of the box.

P.S. I will not be offended , if you refuse for any reason

Possible description:

Library is cross-platform and comes for Windows, Linux, Dos
Author: angros47
Download link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeba ... ary/files/

Compile Library:
all the necessary scripts are in the archive, you just need to substitute the correct path to the compiler in them

Description:
Description of all functions is in the file readme.txt (in archive)

A brief description of the main (not all) functions:

1) SoundmidiSet - setting mode midi (needed for function PLAY)
2) SoundSet - setting mode PCM sound (needed for functions SOUND , PlayWave)
1) PLAY - command is for playing musical notes,octave. It can only play one note at a time. (for more information see command QBASICs play).
2) SOUND - command produces sound of a specific frequency for a specific duration
3) LoadMidi - load midi from file , returns a pointer MidiSequence ptr
4) PlayMidi - play midi , in parameters you need to pass pointer MidiSequence ptr
5) CreateMidi - creates MidiSequence ptr , then you can use the pointer using PLAY to write data , and then save in the file
6) SaveMidi - save data MidiSequence ptr in file, in format .mid
7) LoadWave - loads a file into memory WAV (supported only WAVE_FORMAT_PCM) , returns a pointer WaveHeaderType ptr
8) PlayWave - play wav , in parameters you need to pass pointer WaveHeaderType ptr

example Play

Code: Select all

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

SoundmidiSet ()
PLAY "a4e4g4a4g4e4c2f4f4f2d4d4d2"
example Play wih thread

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

dim shared as any ptr mutex 
mutex = MutexCreate

dim shared as Long iMusicExit
dim as Double dTimer

sub procThread(p as any ptr)
	SoundmidiSet ()
	PLAY "a4e4g4a4g4e4c2f4f4f2d4d4d2"
	MutexLock(mutex)
	iMusicExit = 1
	MutexUnLock(mutex)
End Sub

dTimer = timer
threadcreate(@procThread)

do
	? timer - dTimer
	MutexLock(mutex)
	if iMusicExit then
		exit do
	EndIf
	MutexUnLock(mutex)
Loop
Example CreateMidi , SaveMidi

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

SoundmidiSet ()
dim as any ptr Midi=CreateMidi()
PLAY Midi,"a4e4g4a4g4e4c2f4f4f2d4d4d2"
SaveMidi "music.mid", Midi
Example LoadMidi , PlayMidi

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

SoundmidiSet ()
dim as any ptr Midi=LoadMidi("music.mid")
PlayMidi(Midi, 1)
sleep
Example Sound

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

SoundSet (44100,1,16)
sound SineWave(2000), 1 ' sine 2 kHz
sound NoiseWave(), 1 ' noise
sleep

Example LoadWave , PlayWave

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

dim as WaveHeaderType ptr pWave
SoundSet (44100,2,16)
pWave = LoadWave("1.wav")
if pWave = 0 then
   print "pWave = 0" : end
end if
PlayWave(pWave)
sleep
Last edited by VANYA on Feb 06, 2021 7:43, edited 4 times in total.
fxm

Re: Sound (description)

Post by fxm »

I have never used any Sound library.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

I understood , sorry for obsession.
SARG

Post by SARG »

I agree with VANYA a light library for sounds would be nice.
I gueess that the readme.txt of the angros47's sfx with some examples for the most current uses will be enough.
So if angros47 could do that fxm has just to create a new page in the Wiki based on the txt file.
And it will remain to add the lib files in every package.
Doesn't seem impossible.
badidea

Post by badidea »

SARG wrote:I agree with VANYA a light library for sounds would be nice.
I agree too.
SARG wrote:I guess that the readme.txt of the angros47's sfx with some examples for the most current uses will be enough.
So if angros47 could do that fxm has just to create a new page in the Wiki based on the txt file.
fxm or someone else with an wiki account :-)
I don't think that documentation is the problem. If the sound library is included in the builds, the documentation will be there soon as well.
SARG

Post by SARG »

badidea wrote:I don't think that documentation is the problem. If the sound library is included in the builds, the documentation will be there soon as well.
If it's in the help file beginners (or others) will find easily that feature. At least a hint where find the sound library and its possibilities.
badidea

Post by badidea »

SARG wrote:
badidea wrote:I don't think that documentation is the problem. If the sound library is included in the builds, the documentation will be there soon as well.
If it's in the help file beginners (or others) will find easily that feature. At least a hint where find the sound library and its possibilities.
Not sure that I understand what you mean. As long as the sound library (of angros47) is not integrated with freebasic, we cannot really integrate it in the wiki. It will be very confusing if certain freebasic (sound) statements are only possible when the user also has to install the sound library separately. The best thing that can be done on the wiki now, is adding a link with example on https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/ExtLibTOC, but then it will be in the "Music/Sound, Audio/Video" section with 12 other entries which may or may not work (depending on OS and bitness).
Without a package manager (like pip for python and cargo for rust), 3rd party libraries will always be complicated, is my opinion.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

I added a short description to the first post. I'm not a musician either, but everything is simple here. Who has access to WIKI, please add mine or if you want your own description.

Adding a library to the official distribution ensures that if someone uses the library in their code, then there will be no questions:

1) Nothing compiles, no fbsfx library
2) Where can I get the library?

And adding to WIKI will increase the number of people using the library

P.S. There is also no mention of Joshy's FBSOUND library in WIKI. This is generally strange.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

Analogue to the fbgfx.bi, I would consider a sound library a good idea.
badidea

Post by badidea »

grindstone wrote:Analogue to the fbgfx.bi, I would consider a sound library a good idea.
C wrote 13 Mar 2006:
"I'm looking for a real easy to use sound library. I'm not planning to code my own mixer or anything I would just like something that can load and play sound files for games and sfx. Something simple. Also is there any chance that FB will get a standard sound library in the future? It would go great with gfxlib :-)"
badidea

Post by badidea »

VANYA wrote:I added a short description to the first post. I'm not a musician either, but everything is simple here. Who has access to WIKI, please add mine or if you want your own description. ... And adding to WIKI will increase the number of people using the library
https://freebasic.net/wiki/ExtLibsfx (linked form here: https://freebasic.net/wiki/ExtLibTOC)
VANYA wrote:P.S. There is also no mention of Joshy's FBSOUND library in WIKI. This is generally strange.
Maybe tomorrow. Freebasic itself is well documented on the wiki. It seems to me that there was a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning of freebasic and multiple people created on the wiki links to code snippets and links to libraries and got basic examples included with the freebasic download. Now, there is 15 years to code on the forum and collecting nice code snippets (that still work) is not much fun. Similar for keeping these library links and examples up to date does not interest many.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Thanks!

Let's hope that coderJeff will complement the FBC 1.08 distribution: library and headers FBSFX.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Correction: the command PLAY can play more than one note at time: it supports chords, by grouping notes inside curly brackets, and it allows to play up to 16 channels at the same time
badidea

Post by badidea »

The wiki page updated.
robert

Post by robert »

#include "sfx.bi"
#inclib "fbsfx"

DIM AS String Instrument 
DIM AS String Mario

Mario = "t230o3l8g>ceg>cel4g.e.o3l8g+>c+e+g+>c+e+l4g+.e+.o3l8b->dfb->dfl4b-.l8b-b-b->l2c."

Print "Press q to quit"
SoundmidiSet ()
Do
Instrument = "i" & STR(Int(Rnd * 127) + 1)
PLAY Instrument
PLAY Mario 
Loop Until Inkey = "q"