FreeBASIC vs QB64

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dodicat

Re: FreeBASIC vs QB64

Postby dodicat » Jun 02, 2020 0:17

The magic you could do with quickbasic.
You could load it straight into ramdrive and it was blazingly fast, but of course it only lasted until you switched off.
Now with 64 bit win 10 I cannot use it at all, qb64 is still there though, and #lang "qb".
fb can run line numbers on the one hand, and on the other it feels like c++.
And only usually one or two developers at any time, and others with projects which classify them as developers in their own space.
The youngsters these days like things like python, java script . . . , and some functional languages are making a mark.
But the old languages like c, c++, delphi, fortran . . . still reign supreme for creating operating systems and heavyweight commercial apps.
Basic is also relevant for hobby programmers and others and freebasic plays a part in keeping it alive.
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Jun 02, 2020 10:58

aurelVZAB wrote:@sytemctl

I don't know what is your agenda here ..with all that questions ,,ž
why you don't ask similar question on QB64 forum ?

If you are real basic programmer you should download both and see the difference...

Which agenda? I don't have any!

Do you think if I'm not downloaded both why I know the vortex.bas sample problem with fbc I wonder?

The problem is with my eyes, I can't stand looking at the monitor anymore. So I gave up anything.
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Jun 02, 2020 11:00

caseih wrote:My feeling is that he's curious about the inner workings of FB compared to other compilers out there like QB64. Many people on this forum use FB as a means of running their old QB code. QB64 is another good choice for that. Shrug. Doesn't bother me at all.

You are right my friend.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Postby Xusinboy Bekchanov » Jun 02, 2020 11:27

systemctl wrote:The problem is with my eyes, I can't stand looking at the monitor anymore. So I gave up anything.

What happened to you? You translated the headers of some libraries.
How old are you?
dodicat

Postby dodicat » Jun 02, 2020 12:35

These modern flat screen monitors I am sure are bad for the eyes.
You should really wear glasses to work with them, If you do not need glasses for close up, then at least a pair with plain glass lenses.

I have an old crt monitor on my other computer (win xp and Linux), and it is a pleasure to work with.
deltarho[1859]

Postby deltarho[1859] » Jun 02, 2020 13:48

I'm on Firefox with the 'Dark Background and Light Text' add-on. I use a 'dark theme' with everything that I can, including my file manager Total Commander and WinFBE using Visual Studio Code (Dark). My monitors' background is black. Having displays and GUI's with over 95% of the real estate being white cannot be good for us.

I also use f.lux, free on Windows, and have done for as long as I can remember. As the evening draws on the monitors' colour temperature starts to fall. I couldn't work on my machine at night without it unless I turned it off a couple of hours before going to bed. Win 10 has a similar feature but it is not as good as f.lux.
aurelVZAB

Postby aurelVZAB » Jun 02, 2020 13:58

The problem is with my eyes, I can't stand looking at the monitor anymore...
aah sorry man...but your questions are hmm strange ...
because of unknown reason to me qb64 forum is more frequent and vibrant than this one ...
even FreeBaisc is a real and powerful language , qb64 looks to me more like a toy for old farts
badidea

Postby badidea » Jun 02, 2020 16:55

dodicat wrote:These modern flat screen monitors I am sure are bad for the eyes.

Not all flat screens are equal and the environment is important too.
I have one Asus 24 inch which was impossible to do any coding on at my previous living place which was an 300 year old attic. All dark oak wood, almost no windows. The back-light was way too bright, even at the lowest settings. I could only use it for watching movies from a larger distance.
Now in a house with a lot more windows and everything painted white, this screen is no problem at all for coding. The only problem is, when running Windows, the system fonts are too thin, but that is a lot of screens.
Tourist Trap

Postby Tourist Trap » Jun 02, 2020 19:23

badidea wrote:
dodicat wrote:These modern flat screen monitors I am sure are bad for the eyes.

Not all flat screens are equal and the environment is important too.

Agreed. That's why I'm so angry about those led lighting everywhere. They are far too powerful and tiresome for the eyes. The good old yellowish sodium lights are uggly but far less annoying regarding eyecare.
And of course monitors ourdays are of very unequal values. HP and Sony used to do well in the notebook world - in there time!, but they are way too far from what apple does now (ok at the cost of one or two wars in Congo for the minerals used inside..).
I agree dodicat. I used to have a big flat 19 inch NEC that was absolutely delicious to watch at. With a slightly cold greyed tone and no reflexion or flares. It was very relaxing. It was very big though.
So just because this a very concerning issue I would repeat my advice based upon my own experience, even if that may well not apply to everyone absolutely of course:
  • Use 2 identical screen if you use 2, with same parameters set.
  • Have ambiant light coming if possible by the sides.
  • Have some distance in front of you behind the screen to let your eyes wander there sometimes.
This solved most of my issues. Unfortunately by night I didn't find any good ligthing with all those led products nowadays...

Return to “Community Discussion”