15 years of freeBASIC forum?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
badidea

15 years of freeBASIC forum?

Post by badidea »

It seems that today this forum exists 15 years. Based on the sysop account created on 27 May 2005, 01:11 (memberlist.php)
That was when most of us were running Windows XP on a Pentium-4 or an Athlon XP computer. Ubuntu existed for only 1 year and I had no grey hair yet.
Tourist Trap

Re: 15 years of freeBASIC forum?

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:It seems that today this forum exists 15 years. Based on the sysop account created on 27 May 2005, 01:11 (memberlist.php)
That was when most of us were running Windows XP on a Pentium-4 or an Athlon XP computer. Ubuntu existed for only 1 year and I had no grey hair yet.
15 years already? Such a good job done by the team since then. And still so much to do and to learn, from my side at least!

Happy birthday all.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Hi !Reminds me on my first post on the forum
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19383&p=170465#p170465
:-)
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

And how many of the first adopters of FreeBASIC are still here? I noticed D.J.Peters was one of the early members with 8023 posts. It is of course not how many posts that count rather it is the quality of the posts and D.J.Peters provided quality posts.

In some ways I have mixed feeling about FreeBASIC as it took up most of my spare time that I devoted to learning to program at the cost of time I could have spent become proficient in C++ the language I was learning before I found FreeBASIC.

Still FreeBASIC has been and still is nice to use and has improved greatly since it began all those years ago. So a big thank you to all those developers and providers of access to libraries who made it what it is today.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I joined this forum on September 25 of 2005 which means that I probably started with FB-0.14b
caseih

Post by caseih »

BasicCoder2 wrote:In some ways I have mixed feeling about FreeBASIC as it took up most of my spare time that I devoted to learning to program at the cost of time I could have spent become proficient in C++ the language I was learning before I found FreeBASIC.
Sure I suppose there's opportunity cost. But if you had fun who cares? And languages are fairly equivalent, so what you learned in FreeBASIC can transfer more or less to C++ or any other similar language. The idioms of FB are not that far off of the idioms of many other procedural languages. At least you weren't poisoned by Java! Every few months on the Python mailing list we get someone trying to program in Java on Python and frustrated that Python isn't Java. Kind of surreal.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Those were the days when my local was still open.
It closed three years ago, and the shop and the post office and the village hall and our telephone box since.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11689&p=102159&hilit=brown#p102159
But fb can still pour a glass.

And surely ye’ll be your pint-stoup!
and surely I’ll be mine!
And we’ll tak' a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
marcov

Post by marcov »

My first programming language was C=64, an early Micro Soft Basic (V2) interpreter. It is also not a language that I would use now, but it helped me grow through my first stages of being a programmer. Even if I had heavier tools, that wouldn't have made much of a difference. After a while you just rewrite all your early experiments in a few days (either to modernize or to migrate them). I have done that multiple times now.

I think I only registered after the forum was up for a few weeks. Yup, June 16.

IIIRC somebody mentioned it on some dos forum I kept an eye on, and checked and FB had its own library (and didn't need a full cygwin stack as many other open source compilers did at the time). I thought that was something in common with FPC, and I joined to ask a question what/how/where the runtime library was implemented (in).