Could someone make a list of FreeBASIC GUI libraries/frameworks?

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lost Zergling

Re: Could someone make a list of FreeBASIC GUI libraries/frameworks?

Postby Lost Zergling » Apr 25, 2020 13:17

@systemctl : thank you for your open-minded remarks, interesting one (Large library with its own language, not only gui however).
marcov

Postby marcov » Apr 25, 2020 13:44

systemctl wrote:I have a new library to add to the list of C/C++ GUI libraries could be used as a backend for our FreeBASIC GUI toolkit. It's a C library, so creating binding for FreeBASIC should be straight forward.

http://libagar.org/

It's not just for GUI but also includes other features like Audio, Math, Network, Vector Graphic, 3D Engine,... All are in plain C. If we have a FreeBASIC binding for it we immediately have access to a wide range of features.

To get that discussion back on track, the primary choice to make is

Will you (1) use one library for everything, _OR_ will you (2) try to make one application source work with multiple libraries?

This is crucial for evaluation of graphics libraries, since usually you need less functionality if you go the (1) way, but the subset that you do use must be way deeper.

If you go the (2) way, you generally also accept the application building paradigm that said library forces on you, and that keeps you away of many of the darker corners.

But using external widgetsets is not very well accepted on majority target windows, because gdi/winapi is generally both very complete and stable (both stable to use as stable in time), so going that way will force a rift between users.
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Apr 26, 2020 6:55

paul doe wrote:
systemctl wrote:I have a new library to add to the list of C/C++ GUI libraries could be used as a backend for our FreeBASIC GUI toolkit. It's a C library, so creating binding for FreeBASIC should be straight forward.
If we have a FreeBASIC binding for it we immediately have access to a wide range of features.

Indeed! So, when are you planning to release the bindings for testing?

I went the translating C headers route. The headers themselves are very simple, what I did is just run fbfrog on them and the output looked fine, headers in the config directory didn't need any translation other than renamed them from .h to .bi. But very soon I found something wrong. The headers in the config directory are just macros, full of #define and #undef. They include things shouldn't be there like cflags, include paths... So I think even if we could translate the headers 1:1 to FreeBASIC it will not work. I'm currently stuck.

What I have done is very simple. I use a bash script and a for in loop to run fbfrog on each files in the current directory. Do the same as me and you will get what I have got. The loop looked like this: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ming-files

There was binding for Ada so it's definitely possible to create bindings. Perhaps not my approach, though. But I don't understand Ada so I have no idea how to it.

If you have a solution, please let me know. Note: when installing Agar, you should download the source from github, not on their home page. The version on their homepage has trouble with finding the freetype library.
Lost Zergling

Postby Lost Zergling » Apr 26, 2020 11:46

agar is obviously a library of a technical and scientific level which distinguishes it. One finds there apparently it seems sorting algorithms which remind me of a post of "Denise_amiga", the technical sub-layer of the matrix comes from a researcher from Berkeley, and so on. I am factual. So, thank you again to systemctl for making us discover these works and for positioning himself on the "binding" to be able to guarantee an open access to FreeBasic community, ie with a license disclosed by its author. This does not make me change my mind as I am convinced that there is room for accessible contexts (less selective in terms of underlying and/or scientific prerequisites) and that the original contextual alternatives enrich the ecosystem.. (in such case).
The reasons why I dissociate myself from the criticisms that I perceive as "it is not at all done on a silver platter for the end customer who wants the food to be cooked", or that it could mess up the users. The technical proposal is original, free and seems to be of high quality. Even if I do not have the time and technical level to operate this library nor to work on a binding, I can at least appreciate and recognize its value and seriousness, and therefore its interest. Sorry for this slightly rough post (I felt the urge to better express my thoughts).
Coolman

Postby Coolman » Apr 26, 2020 12:18

systemctl

Postby systemctl » Apr 27, 2020 14:20

Coolman wrote:it's much better :

https://github.com/ocornut/imgui

It's a C++ library.
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Apr 27, 2020 14:46

I surrendered GUI app development and I changed my direction. Anyone concerned can continue to discuss about the future of GUI on FreeBASIC but I'm done with it. Bye.
Coolman

Postby Coolman » Apr 27, 2020 17:18

fltk is the best possible library for freebasic because it doesn't require dependency and allows static compilation. i tested it with codeblock. it works very well. a simple program has a size of about 700 kb. which is very reasonable. it should be a wrapper for freebasic which allows to use directly the official libraries. it's quite easy to compile the sources. it's my opinion...
jj2007

Postby jj2007 » Apr 27, 2020 21:21

Coolman wrote:it works very well. a simple program has a size of about 700 kb. which is very reasonable
No, that's terribly bloated, 100 times the size of TinyIDE ;-)
badidea

Postby badidea » Apr 27, 2020 21:57

jj2007 wrote:
Coolman wrote:it works very well. a simple program has a size of about 700 kb. which is very reasonable
No, that's terribly bloated, 100 times the size of TinyIDE ;-)

700 kB is also about 1/6000 th of the windows 10 update from version 1809 to 1909. And still fits on a floppy disk, if one can find one.
angros47

Postby angros47 » Apr 27, 2020 22:18

FLTK is also one of the few GUI libraries that have been ported to DOS as well, so it is the most multiplatform of all of them.

What annoys me is that it requires a wrapper (that is a dynamic library, and that means it introduces a dependency). Also, it doesn't allow to use the library in OOP, despite FreeBasic does support OOP. Has anyone ever tried to get it to work directly?
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Apr 28, 2020 16:45

angros47 wrote:FLTK is also one of the few GUI libraries that have been ported to DOS as well, so it is the most multiplatform of all of them.

What annoys me is that it requires a wrapper (that is a dynamic library, and that means it introduces a dependency). Also, it doesn't allow to use the library in OOP, despite FreeBasic does support OOP. Has anyone ever tried to get it to work directly?

Qt is ported to HaikuOS so what's to do with that?

If you don't want the wrapper just use Iup. It's part of FreeBASIC headers.
angros47

Postby angros47 » Apr 28, 2020 19:07

systemctl wrote:Qt is ported to HaikuOS so what's to do with that?

HaikuOS is not an operating system officially supported by FreeBasic. DOS is

If you don't want the wrapper just use Iup. It's part of FreeBASIC headers.

I know there are others widget tools. For example, I ported the headers of XForms to FreeBasic https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22671 (XForms was the library also used in RapidQ, for the Linux version)

Personally, I think FLTK has some advantages, since it is OOP (and both Visual Basic and RapidQ introduced users to GUI programming through an OOP interface, so it would be nice having an OOP GUI in FreeBasic, as well), and there are some lightweight linux distro that basically rely only on it. It has also been used to make a web browser (dillo).

I made some experiments, meanwhile, and I managed to directly access the FLTK libraries from FreeBasic (on Linux 32 bit), using no wrappers. I managed to get a window opening, so far. That's why I think FreeBasic OOP features should be enough to use it directly, and it would deserve to be included (among all the GUI libraries I saw, all considering, it's the best candidate for the "official" gui for FreeBasic, in my personal opinion)
systemctl

Postby systemctl » Apr 29, 2020 13:50

angros47 wrote:I know there are others widget tools. For example, I ported the headers of XForms to FreeBasic https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22671 (XForms was the library also used in RapidQ, for the Linux version)

Now I understand why you prefer FTLK. FLTK is, indeed, based on XForms. The API is very similar, e.g: everything started with Fl_*

BTW, I used to see D.J.Peters used "fltk-oop.bi" on his code snippet but I can't found it anywhere on the forum. Could someone let me know where to get it? Thanks.
badidea

Postby badidea » Apr 29, 2020 14:19

systemctl wrote:BTW, I used to see D.J.Peters used "fltk-oop.bi" on his code snippet but I can't found it anywhere on the forum. Could someone let me know where to get it? Thanks.

You mean this post: https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 65#p254486 ?
I don't think he released it yet.

Return to “Community Discussion”