St_W builds

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

St_W builds

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@St_W

I cannot find either cc1 or gcc in the latest win32 builds or am I missing something?
St_W

Re: St_W builds

Post by St_W »

You're right. GCC is not included in the win32 builds, only in the win64 ones (because win32 defaults to gen gas while win64 defaults to gen gcc). No change here in recent months. The main reason for not including GCC is its size, which increases the size of the ZIP und thus the storage space needed on the server.

Using the latest gcc-for-win32-fbc-package from sourceforge (https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/fi ... p/download) should work; I haven't tested it, however.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I did that but there is no inc folder, no lib folder and no fbc.exe.

There is probably a way to get it to work but if it is too much hassle folk will not bother.

If you are running out of space on the server I would question the need to have all 32-bit builds going back to 25 April 2014. I would have thought the last dozen or so would be more than adequate.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I do not mind, I've been doing it for years.
To obtain a full working version of fbc (win 32), you must accumulate the loading of the files:
- fbc_win32_mingw_...
- freebasic_additional_headers
- gcc-5.2.0-for-FB-win32-gengcc
(- freebasic_manual)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

fxm wrote:I do not mind, I've been doing it for years.
You might not but I do. Image

There is absolutely no chance that I will be doing that to get a gcc 32-bit and I should imagine a lot of folk will not either.

If I want to play with new features added to 1.07 I have added a build to my SetCompilerPaths named '1.07 gas gcc' which reminds me to use gas for 32-bit and gcc for 64-bit. That will do for 'playing around' because I would never publish anything using the latest 1.07 build.
St_W

Post by St_W »

The GNU tools binaries (as, ld, gcc) usually don't change for a long period of time,thus you could simply copy over the new FreeBasic build into your existing fbc-nightly installation folder (overwriting existing files) if you have set it up once.

What I thought I could be doing to improve the situation is to additionally provide a full package (including all headers, import libraries, gcc, etc.) for the very latest version only, that gets overwritten each time a new build is available. No promises, though; I currently have very little spare time for these things (you may have also noted my low activity on this forum).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

St_W wrote:The GNU tools binaries (as, ld, gcc) usually don't change for a long period of time .......
Not being the slightest literate in builds that would never occur to me. I just grabbed everything I needed from the installed 1.07 by creating a libexec folder to incorporate cc1 and put the appropriate tools into win32 by looking at what is in the 64-bit build including, of course, gcc.

I now have a gcc 32-bit for the latest 1.07 build; although I see it is now called 1.08.

I cannot see many folk doing that but I didn't find that approach a hassle.

I now have an entry in my SetCompilerPaths simply called '1.08'. Image

Thanks St_W.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

I'm working on a 1.07.1 release to provide an "official" starting point for multiple gcc packages.

I will cherry pick a few commits from the fbc/master (1.08) to include in 1.07.1, mainly:
- __FB_BUILD_SHA1__
- msys2 makefile patch (by St_W)
- FreeBSD bootstrap

Plus some updates to contrib/release/build.sh to add "recipes" for the binary packages from mingw-w64 / Personal builds.
- gcc-5.2.0 (rev0) mingw runtime v4, binutils 2.27 binutils 2.25
- gcc-7.1.0 (rev2) mingw runtime v5, binutils 2.28
- gcc-7.3.0 (rev0) mingw runtime v5, binutils 2.30
- gcc-8.1.0 (rev0) mingw runtime v6, binutils 2.30

After days of working bugs out of my build script, I've started the building and testing. These may not be the "best" gcc's, but for now, they are the best that are readily available.

I'm not really interested in maintaining 2 branches for long; I have too many irons in the fire as it is. I just feel like this is necessary to get to a next step. There are probably a number of dependencies that will require fbc to be change or updated; maybe headers, maybe code generation in fbc, I don't know what they are yet, though.