any free BASIC for web/ios/android

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
oyster

any free BASIC for web/ios/android

Post by oyster »

there is a product https://www.spiderbasic.com/ who says it can program for web/ios/android ( the web app demos can be found via https://www.spiderbasic.com/showcase/onlineviewer)

so my question is, is there any product-read, free BASIC which can write web app( for example, html5), ios or android?
thanks

sorry to ask question here, it seems that there is no "off-topic" or "other resource" sub-forum here

btw, I hate the BASIC name, it is not a friendly keyword for seaching.
erosolmi

Re: any free BASIC for web/ios/android

Post by erosolmi »

Look at: B4A, B4i, B4J
https://www.b4x.com/

B4J is free
oyster

Post by oyster »

it seems that app, which is created by b4j, needs jvm
it is a very very bad dependency
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I am eyeballing B4A right now. Looks really good. Going to try the demo this evening.
Erel

Post by Erel »

oyster wrote:it seems that app, which is created by b4j, needs jvm
it is a very very bad dependency
It is not so bad as you can embed the JVM inside your app. This means that you don't need to rely on Java to be installed on the computer. This is the recommended approach for Java based client apps (Arduino IDE for example).
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Imortis wrote:I am eyeballing B4A right now. Looks really good. Going to try the demo this evening.
I played with the Demo and was quite impressed. I purchased a copy and have been playing around with it this weekend. So far so good.
Drago

Post by Drago »

B4X is really amazing I would say.

I'll use it since a year (or two?) now, and I would say I'm impressed..

And Erel...hi at FreeBasic Forum....
nice to see you found the other way round than I :)

Greetings
Rainer

RWK
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

How about FreeBASIC? v1ctor ported it to emscripten/HTML5 (which still lives on a separate branch and hasn't been merged upstream) and I ported* it to Android (without support for fbgfx! Also still not merged upstream). I was going to port it to iOS too but I didn't want to upgrade my ancient iphone to iOS 9 (required for testing your own apps without paying the $99/year developer fee) because everyone warns that it causes a big slowdown. Still, once I get a new phone I plan to do that.
However, none of these ports will let you create apps using the native GUI frameworks on Android or iOS. They are basically only for creating games.
Also, none of these ports are usable unless you know what you're doing, how to compile FB and set up your own cross-compiling toolchains, etc.
So... yeah, use a different BASIC.

*98.9% of the porting work was creating the -gen gcc backend, which I had nothing to do with, so the credit belongs mostly to v1ctor and dkl.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

I took a look at SpiderBasic and b4x. For me, these are products that we could call "entry-level" but without being pejorative. These are good entry-level products that offer a playful and effective approach, very fashionable. Note that B4X requires the JDK and the .net framework: "License allowded use in closed business projects": closed & open ? .. But it is a solution for Android, Ios and even Arduino!. Spider Basic is more classic and seems to me healthier at the license level. On the List and Mapping functions, in my opinion, these products can not compete with FB + LZLE. I take advantage of the advertising that is made here about free software to report a problem that I have with my smartphone (Chinese clone with a well-known processor, just the license the os differs): so what seems to me, a basic user : the x Play Services download portal software is trying to tell me that my phone is not compatible to justify what I must call a denial of service (the software services will not work until the software is 'updated', but update seems impossible for an unclear pattern). I take note of it. So far. Why using b4x to develop software so I should have to pay someone just to have the right or to be able to use it myself (*) on my own machine ? (* as a consumer user lamda, meaning in an open project)
Ps : I Wonder if a "ready to use package" Android FB version for download as binary would interest somenone ? (standalone apps & so on)
Ones have such a version could perhaps ask CoderJeff to make it "FB official download" ?
TJF

Post by TJF »

Hi!
oyster wrote:so my question is, is there any product-read, free BASIC which can write web app( for example, html5), ios or android?
thanks
This description isn't very precise. Perhaps there is a further solution: develop a standard GTK GUI app and run it on the server with GDK-broadway backend. Then connect a clients html5 browser to that server, and get the GUI at the html5 window.

Regards
Kot

Post by Kot »

You may check x-11 basic at http://x11-basic.sourceforge.net/ it's very fast (not as fast as freebasic though) and has got really impressive command set and help file. And of course it's free.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

I'm testing x11basic on linux with geany as editor. I compiled the sources. there's a real interpreter and a pseudocode generator which makes the programs faster and the possibility to generate c compilable with gcc. exists for linux, windows, android. graphically, it's a bit old but it's excellent work. I plan to use the interpreter under linux for shell scripts. for information.
kankouhin7937

Post by kankouhin7937 »

maybe i will make a iOS version branch of KayaBASIC in the future.
oyster

Post by oyster »

if only kayabasic is an opensourced one.
nimdays

Post by nimdays »

B4A is free now
Problem is I'm using XP