"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hello everyone!

I hope you don't mind me opening a topic for round 2 of the competition, not to clutter the original post which I think should be about round 1 entries, announcing winners, post-results comments, etc. For round 1 participants you can vote here: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=626.0

I still would like to open a poll in this forum, but no admin is noticing me. If want to vote in the FBGD forum and are not registered, please EMAIL ME directly, with a desired username, or the username you tried to register. I'm being spammed by user registration, and I can't weed out legit registration against spam. lachie13@yahoo.com

To remind everyone on the rules:
* the entry must reference FreeBASIC in some way, the FreeBASIC community, or its members (it can be more or less related to gameplay, a backdrop, a vague theme, you can toy with the horse mascot for example, make a cyberpunk RPG where you hack using FB, you name it, …)
* the entry must be compiled in FreeBASIC
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed (FBgfx, GL2D, OpenGL, SDL, ...)
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before the 29th of April 2019, 18:00 GMT (EXTENDED!)
* the winner will receive 300 $ cash prize paid via PayPal or Bitcoin or Etherium; the runnerup will receive a 100 $ cash prize
* in case of donations during the course of the competition, prizes will be increased
* all entries will be evaluated by competition sponsors (those who forked their own cash), while one category will be based on community votes
* teams are allowed
* non-original work MUST be credited (music, graphics, story, ...)
* to be eligible for round 2, you must have not (or any team member) actively participated in round 1

Once more, if you are developing for round 2, be so kind to share few words about your work and what we can expect.
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Apr 17, 2019 19:54, edited 3 times in total.
Tourist Trap

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hi guys!

Any progress?
Not that much here.
paul doe

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hi guys!

Any progress?
Yes, but very little on the front-end side. So far, a tentative title screen and the main menu (without background elements):

Image Image
Been working on the editor, mostly. The code on the FreeBasic side is more or less in its final form now (need to do a little more work on the rendering backend, but the ECS system architecture is implemented and working).

The editor is (mostly) working, but need to do a lot of work there still. Engine is implemented and working fine, just need to integrate it with the ECS framework. No in-game screens yet, besides the debug ones; and those are hardly interesting, I'm afraid:
badidea

Post by badidea »

Pinball: Nice! Lot of physics.

I haven't done much coding last few weeks, but I'll start soon again (tonight or tomorrow).
gothon

Post by gothon »

I have begun work on the front end for player programming.

https://github.com/gothon/FBPoL

In this game I already have a little piece of a compiler and a little piece of an OS. Soon I will have a little piece of an IDE. Eventually I plan to put a big piece of a game engine in it too!
chung

Post by chung »

i have made a lite version of my game "seashore_chung_lite" with horse riding and no music

https://sourceforge.net/projects/seasho ... p/download
badidea

Post by badidea »

Back on working on my game:
* Improvements to font
* High scores added
* Background image switcher
'Teaser' screen caputure:
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Thanks for posting updates.

How is everyone looking for March of 18th? I'm feeling an extension might be needed.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Thanks for posting updates.

How is everyone looking for March of 18th? I'm feeling an extension might be needed.
Oh, that would be great, and much appreciated. As I told badidea in this post, I stopped working on a custom editor and instead switched to use Inkscape as my de-facto editor for games, since it's simply too much work to code my own. That way, once the interface is done (via XML/SVG) I can use Inkscape not only to edit/script the pinball tables, but also any game I want with very little accomodation.

Naturally, having to code a SVG parsing/rendering backend is work on it's own, but at least is work we can reuse, for many things ;)
gothon

Post by gothon »

paul doe wrote:Naturally, having to code a SVG parsing/rendering backend is work on it's own, but at least is work we can reuse, for many things ;)
I actually made a decent vector graphics program called 'Shape Editor' in VB a long time ago. The files it produces can be loaded with very little FB code and rendered with the CAIRO library. Inkscape will probably work just as good for you though!

Indeed! I am still working on the programming front end. Looks a bit better now but there is still plenty of code to be written!

https://github.com/gothon/FBPoL
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi Lachie, from my side, since my change of job in January I have been left less spare time than usual. It may have for consequence that I could well change my horse and made a simpler little game that I previously wanted. Since I try to reuse old material, I don't really feel stuck but of course things may look a little lighter than we may have wanted first.
Anyway feel free to change the ending date as you want. I can only agree with this and won't be affected so much (in a predictible manner) in the contrary.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

What exactly is round 2 anyway?
I did cast one vote in the eight games, I thought it was all done at the previous closing date.
Sorry for being stupid.
gothon

Post by gothon »

@dodicat, The second round was created to help late arrivals and people needing more time because of unplanned delays; see this post buried deep within the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=27069&start=165#p257670
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Ok, it's decided! It's sort of a super compromise solution. :)

Since 3 separate persons said one week will help a lot, I will extend the first round deadline for ONE MORE week, ending on 11th of February.

We will also organize a second round for all late arrivals and those who had unplanned delays. It will last from 11th of February till 18 of March (5 weeks). First prize 300 USD, second prize 100 USD. All the same theme rules apply, and only one extra condition. You can't participate in both rounds. So be sure if you want to submit OFFICIALY you entry in the first round. If not, you can still share it before, but please be explicit in waiveing your participation in round one if you don't want to compete for round one prizes and remain eligible for round two. Also, round two is not restricted to people who already started for round one, but of course, those have a head start.

For the prizes in second round, I felt they had to be low enough to sort of "penalize" those who don't manage to participate in round one, or waive their participation and opt for round two, but still substantially high not to be merely symbolic.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Thank you Gothon.