"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by badidea »

Updated version (mainly a 'how to play' screen added): freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-28.zip (~4 MB)
Only source code, no compiled versions.
Tourist Trap

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi all. I'm on my way. I'm on the last few lines of codes absolutely needed. Then I expect a delivery at my repo before tonight 00:00, french hour.
It will be a short game! But it seems to work until now. Even if I can hardly say that this is suitable for all screen sizes. But this is the least among a lot of unpolished stuff.
Ok see you in 2 hours folks!

[edit]
Here it is:
https://github.com/trapmania/Fbgenlab/tree/WIP2804

This is really a short game. Give it a try and let me know if at least it compiled and ran fine. Me here it did well to this regard.

[edit]
I discovered an unfortunate bug that appeared of course during the last hours. If you don't have 1900x1000 or big screen like this, the button doesn't show up in the hangar scene. So you may well be stuck there. In this case just start by the lab. It should be possible to win this way too. I'm sorry for the disturbance to anyone who tried it.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Same and final version, but with executables (Linux/Windows): freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip (~5 MB)
If "00:00, french hour" is the deadline, then I am just in time.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:Same and final version, but with executables (Linux/Windows): freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip (~5 MB)
I still didn't play your game! Downloaded it but a little busy and tired. I can't wait anyway.
Do you know what happened to the others ? ? ?
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Tourist Trap wrote:
badidea wrote:Same and final version, but with executables (Linux/Windows): freebasic_vs_tetris_2019-04-29.zip (~5 MB)
I still didn't play your game! Downloaded it but a little busy and tired. I can't wait anyway.
Do you know what happened to the others ? ? ?
I couldn't make it (unexpected happenings). So, best of luck to both. I tried both games and they seem to work fine here (crappy Celeron laptop with Win10 and IntelHD card).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

paul doe wrote: I couldn't make it (unexpected happenings). So, best of luck to both. I tried both games and they seem to work fine here (crappy Celeron laptop with Win10 and IntelHD card).
I can perfectly understand how difficult it is to make something in time, above all something as refined as what you projected. I hope anyway that the challenge gave it a boost so now that you launched the machinery, you will soon achieve your project. Maybe in time for the next round?

Thanks also for testing my game. It requires no power from the cpu, but I didn't handle correctly little screen sizes. I'm happy to hear that it simply launched anyway. The sound samples are those provided by D.J. Peter for free as examples with FB Sound. The fonts are from a game by dodicat. And I borrowed stuff from BC2 and many others. I wish to thank all those clever guys that make our life so simpler sometimes :)
badidea

Post by badidea »

Tourist Trap wrote:I can perfectly understand how difficult it is to make something in time, above all something as refined as what you projected. I hope anyway that the challenge gave it a boost so now that you launched the machinery, you will soon achieve your project. Maybe in time for the next round?
Time is one requirement, but for me motivation (from start to end), distractions (e.g. movies, TV-series, the internet, etc.) and focus on what is really necessary (thinking about Paul's SVG/XML interpreter/renderer here, but I could be wrong) where the main issues.

My game is still full of small bugs, but I am not so motivated to fix them. The whole FreeBasic keyword thing did not work out completely as I had hoped. I am happy with the main loop which can make smaller time steps between two 'sleeps', but the main state machine got messy. Anyway, time to move on. Lots of small coding projects on my list which are actually more fun to work on.

I downloaded your game, but I have to boot Windows for that is seems. I'll try later.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Tourist Trap wrote:
paul doe wrote: I can perfectly understand how difficult it is to make something in time, above all something as refined as what you projected. I hope anyway that the challenge gave it a boost so now that you launched the machinery, you will soon achieve your project. Maybe in time for the next round?
If there's a 'next round', then of course, why not ;)

What happened doesn't have anything to do with coding, unfortunately (I wish it were that simple), but this competition indeed gave me the prod I needed to finally pull some stuff together that I was procrastinating since, like, forever =D
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote: I downloaded your game, but I have to boot Windows for that is seems. I'll try later.
I played yours, it's pretty nice. I still have to figure out how to win. Congratulations!
badidea

Post by badidea »

Tourist Trap wrote:
badidea wrote: I downloaded your game, but I have to boot Windows for that is seems. I'll try later.
I played yours, it's pretty nice. I still have to figure out how to win. Congratulations!
You cannot win :-) You can only try to get beat the highest score :-p
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote: You cannot win :-) You can only try to get beat the highest score :-p
Ahah, it still challenging enough :)
I loved your rotating tetris, you demonstrated monthes ago. I hope you'll publish a well polished game like this one, based on the rotating concept someday. I feel it would be more dynamic and addictive on the long time.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

gothon wrote: In this game I already have a little piece of a compiler and a little piece of an OS. Soon I will have a little piece of an IDE. Eventually I plan to put a big piece of a game engine in it too!
Hi gothon any news?
badidea

Post by badidea »

Almost any variant of Tetris has been done. The "rotating tetris" and this one "fb vs tetris" I could not really find.
If you think, Awesome, a hexagonal tetris! It turns out: Done already, 100 others where before you.
gothon

Post by gothon »

Tourist Trap wrote: Hi gothon any news?
Unfortunately I couldn't make it in time and have not made a significant amount of progress recently, but I think I will continue working on it to see where it goes!

@Tourist Trap, I downloaded your game and was able to compile it however it terminates with the message:

Code: Select all

dodicat's fonts inside...
running Landeel's DPI awareness system...
DPI : Error loading shcore.dll
This is probably because Windows 7 doesn't have a shcore.dll to use for DPI awareness.

@badidea, I was able to compile your freebasic_vs_tetris and it was tricky to play at first, but it is fine now that I figured out what to do to the blocks with the jumping horse. When you get a new high-score it replaces the previous score at the position for the new score without shifting any of the lower scores out of the way. Is that the intended behavior?
badidea

Post by badidea »

gothon wrote:@badidea, I was able to compile your freebasic_vs_tetris and it was tricky to play at first, but it is fine now that I figured out what to do to the blocks with the jumping horse. When you get a new high-score it replaces the previous score at the position for the new score without shifting any of the lower scores out of the way. Is that the intended behavior?
Yes, that is bug I discovered the last minute myself as well. Added to my to-do list now. Should be easy to fix.