Nominations for Forum Moderators

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
counting_pine
Site Admin
Posts: 6169
Joined: Jul 05, 2005 17:32
Location: Manchester, Lancs

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby counting_pine » Dec 19, 2018 13:30

I have officially made Imortis a moderator. Congratulations Imortis!
Respect also to fxm and St_W for considering and formally declining the role. Thanks both for considering the position.
Imortis
Moderator
Posts: 1614
Joined: Jun 02, 2005 15:10
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby Imortis » Dec 20, 2018 11:45

counting_pine wrote:I have officially made Imortis a moderator. Congratulations Imortis!
Respect also to fxm and St_W for considering and formally declining the role. Thanks both for considering the position.


I am glad to be able to help out.
sancho3
Posts: 358
Joined: Sep 30, 2017 3:22

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby sancho3 » Dec 21, 2018 2:22

Congratulations Imortis, and thank you for stepping up to the plate.
dodicat
Posts: 5771
Joined: Jan 10, 2006 20:30
Location: Scotland

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby dodicat » Dec 22, 2018 14:06

Congratulations Imortis, I had a feeling from day one you would be a moderator.

Unfortunately for me, this has produced a thirteen year quandary (I joined in Jan 2006).
A brief history of why.
I was forty years at sea.
I started as a deckhand and over the years ended up going through every rating and rank to captain of British flagged ships, (and one Belgian tug).
Each step I took very seriously one way or another.
I joined this forum as a simple no frills member and have proudly remained as just that, like a foremast tarry jack if you like.
When I was nominated by some members as a potential moderator I was truly taken aback, momentarily felt I was back there, on the brine, and having to contemplate a promotion.

When Imortis ended up the only candidate, and two were required, I made the last minute decision to press a few keys and apply for no.2.
Then counting pine made Imortis a moderator and thanked respectingly and profusely two other members for not wanting the job.
So I waited.
Nothing said about the second position, by either of the admin., counting pine / coderJeff.
So today is here and not a beep.
Conclusion:
Either the two admins have extremely bad manners or they have decided on a deliberate snub.
Either way I ask myself do I still want to assist these two with the furtherance of freebasic (bug finding or whatever what might have lain ahead).
And my answer is an absolute NO.
I do not want associated with these people.
So that is my quandary.
I won't pack up just yet, but I shall retreat into squares for a while until I find something else to do for a hobby.
counting_pine
Site Admin
Posts: 6169
Joined: Jul 05, 2005 17:32
Location: Manchester, Lancs

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby counting_pine » Dec 22, 2018 14:54

Hi dodicat,
As the person who officially promoted Imortis, I must firstly accept blame for overlooking your offer after the deadline, which you were discussing with coderJeff, and for posting a verdict without including you in it. I am sorry for the offence this has caused you.

We will need to talk about this further, but please accept my initial apology. It was not my intention to snub you.
coderJeff
Site Admin
Posts: 2881
Joined: Nov 04, 2005 14:23
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby coderJeff » Dec 22, 2018 15:10

dodicat, sorry, certainly not a deliberate snub. I didn't know what to make of your proposal to help out with a thankless task if no one else will. I wouldn't wish that kind of work on anyone if that's how they feel. I honestly didn't think you cared one way or the other. It's helpful to know now that you would maybe see it as a promotion rather than a punishment. :)
fxm
Posts: 8971
Joined: Apr 22, 2009 12:46
Location: Paris suburbs, FRANCE

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby fxm » Dec 22, 2018 15:42

counting_pine wrote:I have officially made Imortis a moderator. Congratulations Imortis!
Respect also to fxm and St_W for considering and formally declining the role. Thanks both for considering the position.
dodicat wrote:Then counting pine made Imortis a moderator and thanked respectingly and profusely two other members for not wanting the job.

I think counting_pine thanked us, but only because we explicitly answered within the time-frames of the second step, regardless of our choice to accept or decline to be a candidate.
counting_pine
Site Admin
Posts: 6169
Joined: Jul 05, 2005 17:32
Location: Manchester, Lancs

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby counting_pine » Dec 22, 2018 16:39

To be clear, I thought/think fxm and St_W deserved respect for considering the role, and for letting us know their decision (whether before or after the deadline), when they could have kept quiet and turned it down implicitly.

That's not to belittle any other nominees didn't respond explicitly here - they were all deemed worthy of being nominated to the role, and I am confident that they all gave serious consideration to it.

dodicat merits at least this much respect. Perhaps it's fair to say - speaking in my own words - that he did not want to be elected over anyone else, but nonetheless preferred to take on the position rather than seeing it go unfilled.
coderJeff
Site Admin
Posts: 2881
Joined: Nov 04, 2005 14:23
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby coderJeff » Dec 22, 2018 16:55

dodicat, OK, counting_pine and I discussed, and we would like to offer you role as moderator. I'm going to have to justify this to the other participants, because your involvement came after the deadline, and your commitment was not clear, so for the benefit of all others please allow me to recount a few things:

1) Forum moderation currently from site admins is minimal at best, responding only to topic reports, which is too little too late. So this has been identified as an area that needs improvement. The proposed solution is to have 2 new moderators that can help with the forums; the goals are listed in the opening post.

2) This selection process was created to select 2 moderators from the community by the community. There are a few rules. The reason for the rules is so that in future when members ask why and how we made the decision, we simply need to point to this topic and say this is why and how. We did our best to create a fair process.

3) We can't leave the process open forever and we really want to move on. And I didn't want show any particular bias in the process. Having said that, I think you and Imortis would make a good team and we could work well with you. You are both more involved in reading user concerns than I. Should you decide to leave later, you will probably be more likely to be able to identify potential candidates from the community to become next moderators.

So,

counting_pine and I would like to offer you promotion to forum moderator to help our team here on fb.net. This offer is only to you and there will be no vote. We break our own rules of this process to allow this. Should you accept, and I understand you may now have reason not to, you will join our team to help with the forums. We ask that the initial commitment be for 6 months, Jan-Jun 2019, to give this best chance of success.

dodicat, for the benefit of all those that have participated, and our commitment to the community, please give a clear statement that you are accepting the role of forum moderator.

Thanks, I apologize for any misunderstanding.
Lachie Dazdarian
Posts: 2337
Joined: May 31, 2005 9:59
Location: Croatia
Contact:

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Dec 22, 2018 18:49

Is it possible to ask a moderator to send a message/email to all users regarding the ongoing A Love Letter To FreeBASIC game dev competition, because we just had another donor and the prize pool is insane 2400 USD at the moment? I also extended the deadline for 3 weeks.

I would just like to ensure that all interested are informed on time.

If you consider this is spamming, just ignore my request.
deltarho[1859]
Posts: 1765
Joined: Jan 02, 2017 0:34
Location: UK

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby deltarho[1859] » Dec 22, 2018 19:18

@dodicat

I am afraid that you 'cocked up'. At no point did you explicitly accept the nomination and include "a statement describing their views and attitudes towards forum moderation". coderJeff even asked, "Are you really volunteering/accepting?". However, my understanding is that a statement would only have been needed in the event of a voting thread which, of course, would not occur with only two acceptances.

Having said that counting_pine also 'cocked up' by not pressing you to clarify your position but, to be fair, he has apologized.

My advice is to grab the position offered to you. I am sure that immortis will give a sigh of relief knowing that the job of peacekeeping is not squarely on his shoulders alone.

As a final note, my returning to the fold will be aided by your being a member of the team.
BasicCoder2
Posts: 3349
Joined: Jan 01, 2009 7:03

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby BasicCoder2 » Dec 22, 2018 19:52

@dodicat,

Reading back through the thread I don't get the impression there was any deliberate snub as you seemed to be casual about moderating the forum. You are one of the stalwarts of the forum and I would hate to see you lose interest. Your knowledge and programming skills have been much appreciated. I even have special dodicat folders to store many of your contributions for reference. Your fast 3D demos being my favourites. I hope you can accept it was a misunderstanding and accept being a forum moderator to help out the forum. You have my support for the role.
jj2007
Posts: 1161
Joined: Oct 23, 2016 15:28
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby jj2007 » Dec 22, 2018 20:10

deltarho[1859] wrote:As a final note, my returning to the fold will be aided by your being a member of the team.
Dodicat, that alone is a good reason to accept ;-)
lizard
Posts: 440
Joined: Oct 17, 2017 11:35
Location: Germany

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby lizard » Dec 22, 2018 23:28

Dodicat must become moderator.
MrSwiss
Posts: 3083
Joined: Jun 02, 2013 9:27
Location: Switzerland

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Postby MrSwiss » Dec 22, 2018 23:50

jj2007 wrote: deltarho[1859] wrote:
As a final note, my returning to the fold will be aided by your being a member of the team.

Dodicat, that alone is a good reason to accept ;-)

Because I disagree with jj2007:
Dodicat, that alone is a acceptable reason, to decline the "job" offer.

Apart from that, there is no other reason remaining, to prevent you, to accept.
deltarho[1859], can stay "where the pepper grows" ...

Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests