Nominations for Forum Moderators

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Re: Nominations for Forum Moderators

Post by coderJeff »

Thank you everyone for participating in the nominations. It's been about 2 weeks since the nomination thread was started and I think it will be fair to move on to the next steps.

We have 22 members, making 41 nominations, resulting in 12 nominees. There are 6 second nominees, who may choose to accept to be a candidate for the forum moderator role. Members have made multiple nominations and because typically the same names are being put forward, I have decided to include all nominations given as valid.

The main purpose of this process is to identify members that are interested in the role of forum moderator, and would be a suitable candidate as recommended by the community. Next we need to narrow it down to 2 members, conditional on their acceptance.

The initial commitment we are asking for is 6 months, let's say from January to June 2019. We haven't tried anything like this before, and we think that 6 months is a reasonable length of time to make our best effort to have this work with positive results.

The next step for the second nominees is to post a formal acceptance and a statement.

Second Nominees (in alphabetical order):
- dodicat
- fxm
- Imortis
- paul doe
- St_W
- TJF

Please post your acceptance to be a candidate and statement in this topic. The purpose of making a statement, for example, personal views towards forum moderation, is that it gives general members a basis to make a decision, should we come to a vote.

You may also choose to formally decline, or do nothing. In either case, you will not be considered a candidate.

If there is more than 2 candidates, then we'll have a separate voting thread (poll) to choose the 2 members to put forward to the administration team for final approval.

The deadline for acceptance is one week from the date on this post.

Thank you again everyone for participating!
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:I said before:
fxm (https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=254451#p254451) wrote:Although I am on the forum every day and for a long time, I am not currently a candidate to be moderator on this forum:
- I am more interested in the purely technical side than in the relational and human side.
- My level of English does not allow me to perfectly judge the politeness or non-politeness of an expression.

However, I want to keep my current privileges on the Documentation forum and act here rather as a technical moderator.
Currently I do not systematically read all the posts (no the time or-else the desire to read all the posts in some forum topics that do not interest me much, such as all that is Hardware Interfaces / Communication, Game, Dos, Linux).

After a second thought, if many people think I can do this extra task, without penalizing my current role on the forum and documentation I want to maintain, why not try this role of moderator and see how it goes?
After one last thought, I finally decided not to be a candidate for the global moderator function on the forum, as I said the first time.
I do not think I have the skills or the real desire to take on this role.

I thank all those who nominated me, and this is perhaps why I asked myself again the question of being a candidate.
I was probably influenced during my thought by these marks of recognition on my involvement on the forum and documentation.

Still, I will continue my current participation in the forum and my actions on the documentation, and even expand them if possible.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

I accept my nomination. My approach to forum moderation would be as follows:

Treat everyone here as if they are rational adults until proven otherwise. If you are on a forum, trying to learn programming I thing you qualify regardless of age.
Heated discussion is fine. Attacks are not.
People unable to act civilly will be handled on a case by case basis. I would prefer the role of Councilor over Sheriff. If we can talk it out to everyone's satisfaction that is where it should end. If we cannot, then I will get admins involved.

I don't want to be an "iron fist" as some have suggested we need, but I will keep that option open if it is truly needed.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Imortis wrote: I don't want to be an "iron fist" as some have suggested we need, but I will keep that option open if it is truly needed.
Asking for politeness is not being "iron fist". There should not be any problem regarding this aspect. However, some people may not be able to express themselves correctly for other reasons like a lack of knowledge of the english language, and even a lack of knowledge of Freebasic. This may lead to ""uggly"" posts, but my humble opinion is that the misformulated requests should not result systematically in blame if at all.

Thanks anyway from my side for enroling to active duty (if not decided otherwise due to a lot of submitions of course!) :)
As for fxm, we all know that he will always keep doing his best to help as usual!
Last edited by Tourist Trap on Dec 11, 2018 0:10, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Zergling

Post by Lost Zergling »

Imortis

Post by Imortis »

Was I the only one to accept within the deadline?
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

If there is nobody else I'll help Imortis.
badidea

Post by badidea »

dodicat wrote:If there is nobody else I'll help Imortis.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

A counselor and a hitman. Talk to each other, the middle ground will work.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

You'll rejoin the forum deltarho[] as soon a moderator is chosen.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@dodicat

I stayed in my resignation thread too long and ended up with a bad taste in my mouth. I knew that it would be damaging for me. The reason for my resignation fell by the wayside and I found myself on a mission the result of which is two guys stepping up to the plate: You and imortis.

The bad taste is still there leaving me, for the moment, no desire to return.

My very best to you and imortis.

Oh, re 'Fast Reverse String?': For large strings on Windows, think ThreadPool. I haven't tried it but a quad-core or quad-core with hyperthreading may give good results. Hint: 1&8, 2&7, 3&6 and 4&5.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Imortis wrote:Was I the only one to accept within the deadline?
Yes, thank-you.
dodicat wrote:If there is nobody else I'll help Imortis.
Are you really volunteering/accepting? Any doubts?. My hope is that you actually want the role, and would get something out it.

---

I had set out a deadline (yesterday), so we can get to the next step. I didn't respond immediately because when we saw only one acceptance (Imortis), that wasn't really a scenario that we had a plan for and I don't think it would be fair for one person to go it alone. Anyway, counting_pine and I starting discussing this outcome, and also taking steps to get things set up for the moderators so we should be able to have it happen soon.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

coderJeff/counting pine
I didn't think you would get a queue of volunteers to be honest.
It is a thankless task after all, but better with a couple of day to day members doing it than folk who are involved in developing the compiler or other ongoing related tasks.
My only concern is that here in rural Scotland in this house we have a lousy internet connection, some days I can hardly log in.
So on any one of those days I might have to nurse any wrath to keep it warm (Robert Burns)

deltatho[]
Strings and threadpools, reminds me of some old mill in Yorkshire, we will have to wait for your return to investigate.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Thanks for all the nominations. I was watching this thread closely during the previous week and for me it was fine having only a single candidate. Also being unsure whether I can actually spend the amount of time that is actually needed for excercising the moderator role appropriately, I decided to not accept - I'm sorry. Now we have a last minute change and I'm fine with that too (although I probably would have preferred the former solution).
Regardless, my focus has always been the technical aspect in my contributions to this forums and I'll plan to continue in a similar manner. Thanks again to anyone who nominated me or anybody else - I think it's some kind of appreciation for the contributions to this forums.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Great outcome, congrats to the forum!

So everything is fine now: Imortis is moderator, MrSwiss moderates himself, deltarho pops in randomly, and dodicat helps out if a sheriff is needed ;-)