Have anyone an complete updated Freebasic?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Munair

Re: Have anyone an complete updated Freebasic?

Post by Munair »

dodicat wrote:But I don't have an ide for freebasic, still looking around.
Geany doesn't work.
Stuck with Gedit at the moment..
Why does Geany not Work? It has worked for me on any distro in the past. It also works great on Manjaro. The only thing that doesn't work is F5 (run), which has to do with some missing script. I'm too lazy to look into that. F8 (compile) works fine and I run from the terminal (./name).
marcov wrote:I tried rolling releases, but it didn't work for me. Too much breakage on moments that I needed to get work done.
I have some experience with PCLinuxOS and last year Suse Tumbleweed. PCLinuxOS has a somewhat limited repository and an incompatible package manager, which got me stuck with specific packages. Suse was bad and broke at some point after installing updates. For some months now I have been working daily with Manjaro. Although Arch based distro's have never been my favorite, Manjaro managed to do all the hard work and deliver a stable rolling release system. I use it for daily development and it has not let me down so far. Definitely worth a try.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I don't have gtk on my linux, which stops the Geany install.
I have downloaded a codelite rpm, so I'll have a look at that.
Munair

Post by Munair »

dodicat wrote:I don't have gtk on my linux, which stops the Geany install.
I have downloaded a codelite rpm, so I'll have a look at that.
If you use KDE you can always install GTK libs next to it. Although I must confess, here on Manjaro with XFCE desktop, which is GTK based, I do not install apps that require Qt.
Last edited by Munair on Nov 18, 2018 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@dodicat
I installed Scientific Linux on a VVM so that I could follow you along, my install included GTK2 and building geany from source was just a matter of ./configure, make and make install
after installing FB I launched geany and opened a simple console program and compiled it, it compiled OK but could not execute the program from geany, double-clicking on the executable seemed to have no effect, had to open the Terminal in order to execute the program.
I don't like this distribution, it's not beginner friendly, personally, I like Ubuntu, it works without problems, but since you installed a scientific distribution, I searched for an alternative to Scientific Linux and found Fedora Scientific https://fedora-scientific.readthedocs.i ... index.html
it's package manager is derived from yum but it's called dnf, so, to install geany you do: sudo dnf geany
after installing FB, I tried my console program again, this time, it failed to compile because it could not find libtinfo.so.5
searching the web I found https://github.com/commercialhaskell/stack/issues/1012, so following the suggestion I did:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.6 /usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.5
after that, I could compile and run the program using geany
fedora works ok and I like it better than Scientific Linux
Munair

Post by Munair »

srvaldez wrote:[..] I launched geany and opened a simple console program and compiled it, it compiled OK but could not execute the program from geany, double-clicking on the executable seemed to have no effect, had to open the Terminal in order to execute the program.
That is expected behavior with console programs. Does your console program start a GUI window? When it does, it should run when double-clicked.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@Munair, no, it's just a console program, but a program that opens a graphics screen works by double-clicking on the executable but can't remember if it did launch from geany or not.
further testing, I found more lib-not-found problems, doing a symlink as before fixes the problem, but this solution is not satisfying.
Munair

Post by Munair »

I also have an issue with executing from Geany. Apparently it misses a script:
13:43:54: Cannot execute build command "xterm -e "/bin/sh /tmp/geany_run_script_RW2RSZ.sh"": No such file or directory. Check the Terminal setting in Preferences
I'm not interested in checking the settings right now. Compilation works and I either execute from the terminal with ./prog (also great for debugging info) or double-click from the file manager.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Munair wrote:I also have an issue with executing from Geany. Apparently it misses a script:
13:43:54: Cannot execute build command "xterm -e "/bin/sh /tmp/geany_run_script_RW2RSZ.sh"": No such file or directory. Check the Terminal setting in Preferences
I'm not interested in checking the settings right now. Compilation works and I either execute from the terminal with ./prog (also great for debugging info) or double-click from the file manager.
Similar issue here: https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 14#p251514 Not sure if the problem was solved.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

badidea wrote: Similar issue here: https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 14#p251514 Not sure if the problem was solved.
thanks badidea, changing geany preferences/tools terminal to: gnome-terminal -e "/bin/sh %c" makes it work ok
now I can launch console programs from geany
[edit] after getting geany to work, Scientific Linux is OK, though I still prefer Ubuntu for ease of use
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

dodicat wrote:I have Red Hat ( ~scientific Linux~) on my old machine.
your distro has been updated
Pat Riehecky has announced the release of Scientific Linux 7.6
I am downloading as I write, I prefer a clean install rather than trying to upgrade.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Thanks srvaldez.
I'll just download the updates.(Haven't done so far)
I have Red Hat dual booted with win XP on my old box.
I don't think you can dual boot anything with Win 10.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

have not tried dual booting in many years, but apparently, it's possible but in my opinion too risky. https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux ... t-windows/
and https://hackernoon.com/installing-ubunt ... cd91b58557
the second tutorial has a link that you may want to checkout, it's a tool from Microsoft to restore/reinstall Windows 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... ndows10ISO
badidea

Post by badidea »

srvaldez wrote:have not tried dual booting in many years, but apparently, it's possible but in my opinion too risky.
I have done that many times, although last time was ~2 years ago (the laptop I am typing on now). If it is too risky, buy a second, bigger, disk. Make a one to one copy of the original disk (e.g. with linux dd comand, from a linux usb stick installation). Can also be done with one disk connected via USB. When the copy is done, put the original disk in a safe place. Continue with the copied disk. If the original disk is an old electromechanical disk, you have an added performance boost with a new solid state disk.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

my PC is a Mac with about 25 TB in four hard drives, have four different MacOS version on different partitions, plus at least ten VM's ranging from Windows XP to Windows 10 and several linux versions, I can boot from any of the four MacOS partitions, no need for dual boot.
badidea

Post by badidea »

srvaldez wrote:my PC is a Mac with about 25 TB in four hard drives, have four different MacOS version on different partitions, plus at least ten VM's ranging from Windows XP to Windows 10 and several linux versions, I can boot from any of the four MacOS partitions, no need for dual boot.
I agree. Mine is a laptop form work with only place for 1 disk and the windows 8.1 installation that takes minutes to boot, no fun. So, linux at home, windows at work.