Resignation

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
marcov

Re: Resignation

Post by marcov »

St_W wrote:
marcov wrote:Constrict them too much [...] and there is a chance that the moderator candidate are either inexperience or powerhungry dilettantes that will live with the rules to exercise power.
There's probably an even higher change of misuse of priviledge if there are no rules and they can basically do what they want.
Then the forum maintainer can still kick him out. But at least less people will try to game the rules. People trying how far they can go are a moderators worst nightmare. Rules are a challenge to be gamed.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

marcov wrote:Then the forum maintainer can still kick him out.
I may be wrong but I reckon counting_pine is a really nice guy and would not even throw Jack the Ripper out.

What any organization should have is someone who is approachable, has a good sense of humor and not short of wit. However, if they are crossed they morph into a rottweiler.
People trying how far they can go are a moderators worst nightmare.
Citation needed.

That would not keep me awake at night.
Rules are a challenge to be gamed.
Gordon Bennett!

This is fascinating. Marcov and I seem to view the world in polar opposition. We should ignore each other. <smile>
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

MrSwiss has just posted Forum Moderators. Have a look he made some interesting observations.

I am not interested in power as marcov thinks. I am not interested in taking credit for anything - as I have said on several occasions this past two years. I do not like being in the limelight - it brings me out in a rash. I am an ideas man - a thinker. If some of my ideas are taken on board that does it for me. CoderJeff and counting_pine will come up with some changes in the coming weeks and that will be down to me. MrSwiss and people like him will wish that I had never come to this place.

I lied earlier when I indicated that I would contact MrSwiss with a view to starting afresh if I was made a Moderator. I would actually be gunning for him and people like him with a vengeance. It would be wrong of me to accept an invitation with that intention. Would I have received an invitation? Not sure about that but it would not have been improbable.

I think the fat lady has started to sing .....
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Not being active for years and getting back to read posts like this...I must admit I find 90 % of stuff said in this thread totally surreal.

Props to marcov, here.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

dasyar

Post by dasyar »

Well, it looks like mrswiss won the battle and the war. The reason I do not post any more code is because of mrswiss. I am still interested in FreeBASIC, but I just look at what is posted these days. I guess mrswiss has free reign to find somebody else to bring to submission, by whatever means are necessary. Maybe in a couple of years he will be gone, and then things just might become normal again.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

dasyar wrote:Well, it looks like mrswiss won the battle and the war.
How exactly has he 'won' anything?
dasyar wrote:The reason I do not post any more code is because of mrswiss.
It saddens me to think that you actually let others influence you in such a drastic manner. Do you find it impossible to temper your immediate, emotional, gut-reaction when someone does or says something critical/annoying/negative?
I am still interested in FreeBASIC, but I just look at what is posted these days.
...and you could help make FreeBasic, and the community, better... just by posting whatever code/thoughts/questions you might have. I mean, really, if someone comments 'inappropriately', just ignore them and focus on the positive comments and honest posts... MrSwiss deserves as much attention as we decide to give him, as well as no attention at all.
I guess mrswiss has free reign to find somebody else to bring to submission
Likening typed words in a forum post/reply to violence is quite a stretch - MrSwiss has never harmed anyone here with his words.

Whatever happened to 'sticks n stone may break my bones, but words will never hurt me'....

Dasyar, I know that I would appreciate ANY code or posts you might contribute to the forum - doesn't that have just as much positive power as anything someone negative might have to say? and there are many others who would agree - the FB forum is greatly reduced in value if you, or others, refrain from participating
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:MrSwiss has just posted Forum Moderators. Have a look he made some interesting observations.
And he triggered new insults ("cranky old autists") by like-minded people. Oh well... :-)

Instead of suspending or banning somebody, it would be nice if the forum software allowed the OP to disallow posts from specific members. The trolls could still open their own threads, of course, but at least your own thread couldn't be polluted any more.

@dasyar: Please, don't let trolls decide on what you do in your spare time. This is your hobby, don't give such people any influence on your decisions to post or not. The trolls have a problem, otherwise they wouldn't post insults. Don't assume responsibility for their problems, it is not your job. Ignore them, smile and continue posting.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

For counting_pine and coderJeff:
I will volunteer for moderator. I am on the forums almost everyday. I have no axes to grind. I am familiar with the FB code base (mostly RTlib at this point). I have thought about volunteering to help out with that several times over the years, but it never seemed like it was needed.

Just in case you need another candidate.
marcov

Post by marcov »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
marcov wrote:Then the forum maintainer can still kick him out.
I may be wrong but I reckon counting_pine is a really nice guy and would not even throw Jack the Ripper out.
Some people vilify others more easily than others.
What any organization should have is someone who is approachable, has a good sense of humor and not short of wit. However, if they are crossed they morph into a rottweiler.
Well, the rules would probably prevent the latter.
People trying how far they can go are a moderators worst nightmare.
Citation needed.
I don't have the time to mess up wikipedia at this moment, I'm working.
marcov

Post by marcov »

jj2007 wrote:
deltarho[1859] wrote:MrSwiss has just posted Forum Moderators. Have a look he made some interesting observations.
And he triggered new insults ("cranky old autists") by like-minded people. Oh well... :-)
I don't think you can make people responsible for insults they "may" have triggered.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

marcov wrote:I don't think you can make people responsible for insults they "may" have triggered.
You are right, this is indeed not MrSwiss' fault, but rather the responsibility of persons who call fellow members "cranky old autists".
Munair

Post by Munair »

As a moderator I probably would have locked this thread by now...
fxm

Post by fxm »

Although I am on the forum every day and for a long time, I am not currently a candidate to be moderator on this forum:
- I am more interested in the purely technical side than in the relational and human side.
- My level of English does not allow me to perfectly judge the politeness or non-politeness of an expression.

However, I want to keep my current privileges on the Documentation forum and act here rather as a technical moderator.

Note:
Tomorrow, I'm moving (still staying in the Parisian suburbs).
As a result, there will probably be a few days break before I recover an internet connection and so access to forum.
Last edited by fxm on Nov 12, 2018 21:39, edited 2 times in total.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

With imortis stepping up to the plate and counting_pine and coderJeff considering introducing additional moderators with specific responsibilities then this thread will have achieved something. Looking at MrSwiss' 'Forum Moderators' thread again it seems to me that the thought of my being a moderator has got him rattled. His end statements suggest that he may be rattled at the thought of additional moderators with specific responsibilities.

I hope that the additional moderation will be of the 'Rule violation' type rather than 'Conflict resolution' otherwise MrSwiss and people like him will continue to break rules outside of conflicts.

I am now damaged goods but I don't mind because it was for a good cause. This then is a good time for me step aside. I have to because the fat lady is definitely singing. <smile>

I hope that more members put themselves forward and I send successful candidates my best wishes.
Munair wrote:As a moderator I probably would have locked this thread by now...
I second that.